8GB of ram 3.95GB usable

This is a friends computer, Running Win7 x64 on Amd fx6300, msi gaming 970, gtx550ti ,2x4 hyperx blu and a 500w psu. the problems he has is

1- can't boot with both sticks (no display)

2-when he did manage to boot with both sticks earlier, he could see 8gb of ram installled but 3.80gb usable.

Now the computer boots up just fine with either sticks by themselves, but when theyre together it just doesn't work, single stick ok- dual not.

This came out of no where just one day, he did most of the solutions suggested on other threads and forums, they didn't work. 

Made sure BIOS was okay and up to date, and the memory options was good

Unticked the maximum ram from the boot tab

Cleared CMOS

Tried different ram configurations,

and who knows what else.. One thing is he didnt run a memtest yet as he thought nothing would shop up since it doesn't seem to work for anyone

and it always comes up all clear.

He already fried a mobo before so maybe one of the sticks is messed up? but then again, Its just fine booting up on a single stick.

We couldnt figure out whats up, because most threads end with solutions that are just irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

This is a friends computer, Running Win7 x64 on Amd fx6300, msi gaming 970, gtx550ti ,2x4 hyperx blu and a 500w psu. the problems he has is

1- can't boot with both sticks (no display)

2-when he did manage to boot with both sticks earlier, he could see 8gb of ram installled but 3.80gb usable.

Now the computer boots up just fine with either sticks by themselves, but when theyre together it just doesn't work, single stick ok- dual not.

This came out of no where just one day, he did most of the solutions suggested on other threads and forums, they didn't work. 

Made sure BIOS was okay and up to date, and the memory options was good

Unticked the maximum ram from the boot tab 

and who knows what else.. One thing is he didnt run a memtest yet as he thought nothing would shop up since it doesn't seem to work for anyone

and it always comes up all clear.

He already fried a mobo before so maybe one of the sticks is messed up? but then again, Its just fine booting up on a single stick.

We couldnt figure out whats up, because most threads end with solutions that are just irrelevant.

Move the sticks of RAM around, try them both individually, clear CMOS.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I don't know about the strange issues when you have both sticks, but does he have a 64 bit copy of windows?

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

I don't know about the strange issues when you have both sticks, but does he have a 64 bit copy of windows?

Yeah, the thread says x64 windows 7, which is another way of saying 64bit.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

Just my thought

tried all possible configurations, It does work with a single stick, already done..

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Yeah, the thread says x64 windows 7, which is another way of saying 64bit.

ah yes, didn't spot that!

I edit my posts a lot.

6 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Move the sticks of RAM around, try them both individually, clear CMOS.

tried all possible configurations, It does work with a single stick, already done.

4 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

tried all possible configurations, It does work with a single stick, already done..

Then one stick of ram must be defective. 

Just now, smokewolf said:

tried all possible configurations, It does work with a single stick, already done.

Try both single sticks. It might be a very fussy motherboard, and might only take single sided DIMMs in dual channel. I know this board is DDR3, but a lot of older DDR2 boards had limits like that.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Just now, elago said:

but they both do work on themselves so I dont think thats the problem

1 minute ago, elago said:

Or he might have tried both sticks individually...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

but they both do work on themselves so I dont think thats the problem

Oh then that's a problem. Maybe the ram socket has broken? 

1 minute ago, elago said:

Oh then that's a problem. Maybe the ram socket has broken? 

Well I am not gonna the able to tell if it is broken or not because I cant plug myself into the ram slot soo.. :D also there are 4 slots we tried all 4 with each stick

To see if your slots are defective you could put both sticks in then go go the bios and see if your ram is showing there then you could know for sure.

Put in both sticks go into BIOS/UEFI and see if they're both recognized correctly there.

4 minutes ago, smokewolf said:

Well I am not gonna the able to tell if it is broken or not because I cant plug myself into the ram slot soo.. :D also there are 4 slots we tried all 4 with each stick

That's quite weird. Have you tried the sticks together on a different computer? If they work fine then we can be sure the problem is with something in his computer that is not the ram. If they don't, the problem is with the ram.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

45 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Put in both sticks go into BIOS/UEFI and see if they're both recognized correctly there.

both sticks= no display probably beeping too but it might not have a buzzer on..

44 minutes ago, Reallifecat said:

Have you reinstalled Windows?

Thats the last option here trying to avoid it as much as possible Its there are some conditions so we cant format or reinstall windows If its the last option then sure but not in the meantime...

51 minutes ago, kindlestone said:

To see if your slots are defective you could put both sticks in then go go the bios and see if your ram is showing there then you could know for sure.

no display with both sticks, it used to work with both sticks but after he took them out to see if there was any obvious problems with the sockets or the ram, it didnt work again with both sticks installed at the same time..

If you can't even go into BIOS when 2 sticks are inside reinstalling windows definitely won't help. You have to check the mobo and ram separately to find out what's defective.

51 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's quite weird. Have you tried the sticks together on a different computer? If they work fine then we can be sure the problem is with something in his computer that is not the ram. If they don't, the problem is with the ram.

the rams should be okay they have been used on diiferent computers before maybe jumpers?

Just now, Verrierr said:

If you can't even go into BIOS when 2 sticks are inside reinstalling windows definitely won't help. You have to check the mobo and ram separately to find out what's defective.

yeah ,I was thinking something like jumpers, like the ones in old hard drives.. that makes them both work or not work

after some more rams switching around the computer boots up with both sticks on, now it only says 3.48gb usable and when he opens up a game the computer freezes and restarts,I was thinking something like anti surge? I know this board doesn't have anti surge but maybe rams are busted and just messing up the psu.... I guess nothing to do but reinstall windows or format or something similar...