How much space should I get for my SSD?

Tweed

I will have 1 SSD for OS and applications and another for games.
-OS, video editing applications, animating applications, graphic design applications, programming/coding applications (I'm not sure how much these will take up because I don't know any of the applications I will use yet, except for like Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Cinema 4d, etc. but don't really know the graphic design, animating, and other applications)
-Games: COD BO III, Overwatch, League of Legends, CS GO, Hearthstone, Battlefront. (that's all I can think of right now)

How much space should I get for each SSD. I was looking at 500GB for each, but my build would come out to $2000 and I'm trying to save money... Is 500GB too much or is it perfect?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKPbXH

I for one would go for 500GB because I'm space hungry, and future proofing. I always prefer bigger drives. More space, and faster speeds.

1 minute ago, Tweed said:

I will have 1 SSD for OS and applications and another for games.
-OS, video editing applications, animating applications, graphic design applications, programming/coding applications (I'm not sure how much these will take up because I don't know any of the applications I will use yet, except for like Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Cinema 4d, etc. but don't really know the graphic design, animating, and other applications)
-Games: COD BO III, Overwatch, League of Legends, CS GO, Hearthstone, Battlefront. (that's all I can think of right now)

How much space should I get for each SSD. I was looking at 500GB for each, but my build would come out to $2000 and I'm trying to save money... Is 500GB too much or is it perfect?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKPbXH

500GB is probably a good number for the OS/App drive. However I think 240 or even 120 will better suit the games drive. Just check how much space all of your games take up in total right now, then get whatever will hold that and have plenty of space for more games in the future.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Find out how much space you are using and then figure out how much space you're comfortable having free after that. A single 500GB drive will be more than enough for the applications and games you listed.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

500GB is probably a good number for the OS/App drive. However I think 240 or even 120 will better suit the games drive. Just check how much space all of your games take up in total right now, then get whatever will hold that and have plenty of space for more games in the future.

On my current 2007 Macbook Pro :P, I have 128GB and my only game is Minecraft which I don't even play anymore. Other games I plan to play will not work on my laptop cause it will literally burst into flames. It already can not handle Minecraft, and that's Minecraft. I have no experience of the other games so I have no outlook to how much they'll take up. Was hoping this community could enlighten me on it.

3 minutes ago, Tweed said:

On my current 2007 Macbook Pro :P, I have 128GB and my only game is Minecraft which I don't even play anymore. Other games I plan to play will not work on my laptop cause it will literally burst into flames. It already can not handle Minecraft, and that's Minecraft. I have no experience of the other games so I have no outlook to how much they'll take up. Was hoping this community could enlighten me on it.

I see, so the list of games above were what you will want to play. The ones you listed will amount to probably 30-50GB in total, so I would say probably go for a 240GB games drive, because there will be some others you didn't think of and more that you will want in the future.

Why not? 1TB. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/X3Crxr/mushkin-internal-hard-drive-mknssdre1tb

then you Make some partitions with this. for anything you need. If you do the math (159.88 * 2 = 319.76$) For the 2 samsung, and this one is  $234.15  for 1TB, and the speed of this 1TB SSD is around 540 MB/S of read and 400 of write. which is not bad for this huge amount of SSD.

1 minute ago, Antony Leung said:

Why not? 1TB. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/X3Crxr/mushkin-internal-hard-drive-mknssdre1tb

then you Make some partitions why this. for anything you need. If you do the math (159.88 * 2 = 319.76$) For the 2 samsung, and this one is  $234.15  for 1TB, and the speed of this 1TB SSD is around 540 MB/S of read and 400 of write. which is not bad for this huge amount of SSD.

I chose samsung because it was highly recommended to me, has a good reputation, and because of it's fast read/write speeds.

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I see, so the list of games above were what you will want to play. The ones you listed will amount to probably 30-50GB in total, so I would say probably go for a 240GB games drive, because there will be some others you didn't think of and more that you will want in the future.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that I maybe should go with 2x250GB Samsung SSDs, but idk if that's enough or not for the stuff I plan to do. Like I know COD BO III will take up about 80GB, other games, I'm unsure, and idk maybe I'll get more games. With my other SSD, my OS, and video, graphic design, programming, animating, and coding applications, I have no idea how much those will take up. And people have told me that at 75% of storage SSDs will slow down so...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that I maybe should go with 2x250GB Samsung SSDs, but idk if that's enough or not for the stuff I plan to do. Like I know COD BO III will take up about 80GB, other games, I'm unsure, and idk maybe I'll get more games. With my other SSD, my OS, and video, graphic design, programming, animating, and coding applications, I have no idea how much those will take up. And people have told me that at 75% of storage SSDs will slow down so...

They will not slow down that much, I wouldn't worry about that. With how many types of applications you listed + Windows I would probably go with a 500GB drive fo rthe OS one to be safe, but I think 250 is fine for games. Also are you sure Blops 3 is 80GB? That seems too high.

I chose samsung because it was highly recommended to me, has a good reputation, and because of it's fast read/write speeds.

I know. i use to do that, but i notice that there's more cheaper option. and i have research this brand and as far as i know is not a bad brand. is ok. but if we talk only about speeds, there's no much diference than just 10MB/s of read and ~100MB/s of write. and remember computer use more to read than write. and if you dont belive me here a pic of my pc that use a old HDD. 

Spoiler

yzXuJHh.png

get a 500GB SSD And a 1TB hard drive,

how's that?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

get a 500GB SSD And a 1TB hard drive,

how's that?

My plan was to have 1 SSD for my OS and applications and another for games. And an HDD for backups, projects/files I'm done with, project files, etc.

My plan was to have 1 SSD for my OS and applications and another for games. And an HDD for backups, projects/files I'm done with, project files, etc.

don't really need ssd for gaimz

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Up to you if you want to spend the money on an SSD for games. An HDD for games as opposed to an SSD would be just fine too, they just may load a little slower. If you can live with that it's probably worth saving the money, plus then you wouldn't have to worry about running out of space for games for a VERY long time.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

don't really need ssd for gaimz

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Up to you if you want to spend the money on an SSD for games. An HDD for games as opposed to an SSD would be just fine too, they just may load a little slower. If you can live with that it's probably worth saving the money, plus then you wouldn't have to worry about running out of space for games for a VERY long time.

You guys both bring up a super good point... Will do some thinking about it, I want the speed and quick loading, but... I want to save money as well...

You guys both bring up a super good point... Will do some thinking about it, I want the speed and quick loading, but... I want to save money as well...

Ah, the never-ending question, save money or gain convenience? Just to throw in my thoughts personally I play all my games from my HDD and I have no issues at all. Then again that is coming from someone that has never used an SSD for gaming (I replaced the HDD in my laptop with one and it's awesome for productivity, but the APU in there can only dream of AAA games anyways).

Maybe I'll get an OCZ SSD for my games since it's a lot cheaper than Samsung, and almost as fast. OCZ Vector or Trion?

Maybe I'll get an OCZ SSD for my games since it's a lot cheaper than Samsung, and almost as fast. OCZ Vector or Trion?

I haven't seen specs for the Vectors but if you go Trion get the 150, Trion 100 was bad if I remember correctly.