Help choosing right switch

I'm about to wire my house with Cat5e, I know cat6 would had been a beter choice but for the amount I need cat 5e is good enough and can hold 1 Gigabit speeds. 

I have a router and a plan on how to lay out the wiring to 4 bedrooms, 1 living room, and 1 dinning room. With the living room, and 2 bedrooms having two ethernet ports.

I'm very new to networking and my understanding doesn't go pass forum knowledge and a computer maintenance class from Cisco.

I need help choosing my switch, I need a 16 port in case I do more wires to more rooms but I don't know if getting a 10/100 speed switch would be enough to supply Internet at good speeds to the house when there are at least 2pcs, and 1 smart TV plus 4 phones using the network or kill my wallet and get a 10/100/1000 switch. To my understanding the 10/100 switch should be able to supply Internet to all the connected devises at good speeds the 10/100 shouldn't kick in as a bottleneck until I start sharing files from pc to pc in my local network. I mainly use my Internet for streaming and gaming, the other pc and smart tv stream only, and well the phones are phones using wifi. Also my Internet is with at&t at 22gigabytes if that means anything.

Are you using PoE for the phones or do you have them strapped to power outlets as well?

Where are you going to put the switch?

Can it make noise or not?

What I had in mind as soon as I read this was the HP ProCurve 2510-24 or J9019B. It has 24 10/100 ports and two gigabit ports for uplinks, either with copper or fiber if you have the setup for that. It's also fanless so it needs a little space but it's silent.

Does that sound anything like what you had in mind?

5 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Are you using PoE for the phones or do you have them strapped to power outlets as well?

Where are you going to put the switch?

Can it make noise or not?

What I had in mind as soon as I read this was the HP ProCurve 2510-24 or J9019B. It has 24 10/100 ports and two gigabit ports for uplinks, either with copper or fiber if you have the setup for that. It's also fanless so it needs a little space but it's silent.

Does that sound anything like what you had in mind?

well I have a wireless router with ATT and it's using a Ethernet cable not a phone one, I'm putting the switch in the middle of the house so yes there will be some noise because it will be next to the fridge since it's the only place where the wireless signal can supply the whole house.

So not I'm not using power over ethernet for anything. my original idea was to use a TP-LINK 16-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch. because it's the most wallet friendly option I could find or like I said before stretch my budget beyond my limit and go for a gigabit switch from Netgear for around 90$ I don't have fiver btw

Just now, Maraku said:

well I have a wireless router with ATT and it's using a Ethernet cable not a phone one, I'm putting the switch in the middle of the house so yes there will be some noise because it will be next to the fridge since it's the only place where the wireless signal can supply the whole house.

So not I'm not using power over ethernet for anything. my original idea was to use a TP-LINK 16-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch. because it's the most wallet friendly option I could find or like I said before stretch my budget beyond my limit and go for a gigabit switch from Netgear for around 90$ and sadly I don't have fiber I live in Houston, we're still in the stone age when it comes to that most ISPs still use coaxial 

On 7/28/2016 at 6:43 PM, Maraku said:

So not I'm not using power over ethernet for anything. my original idea was to use a TP-LINK 16-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch. because it's the most wallet friendly option I could find or like I said before stretch my budget beyond my limit and go for a gigabit switch from Netgear for around 90$ I don't have fiver btw

Alright, that TP-Link fast ethernet switch doesn't sound bad at all for said requirements.

The uplink speed might be an issue though, so you might want to look for something with at least one gigabit port, unless you want to invest in a proper gigabit switch.

You mentioned an at&t 22gigabit line, I'm assuming it's either a typo or just not your bandwidth but some other number.

Basically, as I don't know your bandwidth or the actual room-to-room layout, I can't be more specific about what your network might benefit from.

On 2016-07-28 at 11:43 AM, Maraku said:

If you're located in the US, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason you should spend $90 on a gigabit switch.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-TL-SG1016/dp/B002HAJQGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469817381&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tp-link+16+port+gigabit+switch&psc=1

Amazon has 16-port Gigabit switches for super cheap. Lots of choices. Above is a TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch for $59 w/ Free Shipping (Local taxes may apply).

I would definitely not recommend getting a 10/100 switch. Yes, assuming your Internet is 100Mbps or under, you won't bottleneck the internet, but if you decide to do file sharing, setup a NAS or a File Server, do internal media streaming, or any number of other things, you will soon regret having that bottleneck.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm a bit confused. First you mention that you Cat5e is enough for 1 Gbps, then you ask for a FE switch.

Yes, a 10/100 is going to be dirt cheap and good enough to stream a movie from your bedroom computer to your smart TV, but transfer speeds are going to be abysmal for backups or simple file transfers from one computer to the other.

You can fin a very decent 16-port PROSafe switch for under 50 € (if you live in the US, possibly even for less than that). Yes, it's an unmanaged switch, but they're very well built, don't draw much power and don't generate much heat either.