290x in 2016 use and price check

Heesleemer

So there is a reference 290X on sale around my area for $150, I know I saw 290s for around 200 before the 480 launch, but is the 290X still feasible (well yes it is) but a decent investment at $150 currently? or do you guys think the price on the used market will fall even more. Performance should be slightly higher than the 480, but a lot louder and a lot hotter.

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Or I could just bite the bullet and get the 480... for 250 (8gb) at my local frys... Blower is prefereed since it is going in my Hadron Air (yes I know it will out perform my 960)

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

2 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

Or I could just bite the bullet and get the 480... for 250 (8gb) at my local frys... Blower is prefereed since it is going in my Hadron Air (yes I know it will out perform my 960)

MMMM, 290x is still very good, about a 970 in performance. However the 480 is obviously great, if you feel the 200 ($?) is worth it go for that, or if not go for the 290x, or don't buy anything since the 960 is still great and just because theres a sale doesnt mean you need to buy.

"Hmmm, this is for sure the type of music you listen to,  if you want to lose friends."

'That last one' ??

11 minutes ago, Geeb_ said:

MMMM, 290x is still very good, about a 970 in performance. However the 480 is obviously great, if you feel the 200 ($?) is worth it go for that, or if not go for the 290x, or don't buy anything since the 960 is still great and just because theres a sale doesnt mean you need to buy.

That is very true, it is for my lan rig... What I was planning to do was drop my 960 in my hadron air, and get myself a 1080,,,, but seeing how NOTHING is in stock... 

maybe 1080ti when it comes out, I just dislike not having a GPU in my lan/htpc rig (gave my older 660ti to my sister)

Resist!

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

That is very true, it is for my lan rig... What I was planning to do was drop my 960 in my hadron air, and get myself a 1080,,,, but seeing how NOTHING is in stock... 

maybe 1080ti when it comes out, I just dislike not having a GPU in my lan/htpc rig (gave my older 660ti to my sister)

Ah I understand, but yeah a 1080ti would be epic and not a huge price gap over the 1080 (probably XD), so maybe just waiting until its realease is an idea (swapping that GPU into your other build when you go to a LAN)

"Hmmm, this is for sure the type of music you listen to,  if you want to lose friends."

'That last one' ??