What Ultra wide Display?

arrowman1256
2 minutes ago, ATFink said:

When you do get an UltraWide, download Flawless Widescreen. It patches a lot of games that don't support 21:9 natively.

Alright will do, I really appreciate the feedback, I may go for the Acer now that I just realized that the LG isnt a curved screen, which I know may seem a little petty, but I feel like with a screen that wide, it may be advantageous to get a curved screen.

Just now, arrowman1256 said:

Alright will do, I really appreciate the feedback, I may go for the Acer now that I just realized that the LG isnt a curved screen, which I know may seem a little petty, but I feel like with a screen that wide, it may be advantageous to get a curved screen.

It will be. If you're close to the screen (who am I kidding, its a monitor, of course you're like 2 feet away) the curve makes it that much better. Definitely worth the premium over the LG.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

It will be. If you're close to the screen (who am I kidding, its a monitor, of course you're like 2 feet away) the curve makes it that much better. Definitely worth the premium over the LG.

Yea I kinda figured so, I dont want to have to move my whole body to see whats going on at the edges of the screen clearly lol, I honestly never thought I would get this much response on this topic, so im pretty happy about that.

6 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Also having done some more research, the acer monitor has the same panel as the Dell I originally listed as a consideration, so im wondering if I could just get the Dell and overclock it to 75hz

1 minute ago, arrowman1256 said:

Also having done some more research, the acer monitor has the same panel as the Dell I originally listed as a consideration, so im wondering if I could just get the Dell and overclock it to 75hz

The Dell UltraWides I looked at had poor reviews, maybe I just read up on some crap models? Anyways, the only UltraWide I've ever owned is my current LG, so I can't speak on any other monitor's behalf. All I know is that I'm extremely satisfied with LG so far. Whatever you decide on I'd be interested to hear back from you about your opinion of the monitor after you've had it for a while since I'm now interested since I might upgrade in a few years. Best of Luck.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

3 minutes ago, ATFink said:

The Dell UltraWides I looked at had poor reviews, maybe I just read up on some crap models? Anyways, the only UltraWide I've ever owned is my current LG, so I can't speak on any other monitor's behalf. All I know is that I'm extremely satisfied with LG so far. Whatever you decide on I'd be interested to hear back from you about your opinion of the monitor after you've had it for a while since I'm now interested since I might upgrade in a few years. Best of Luck.

Yea ill make sure to let you know, and thanks for all the feedback!

well im about to get the  LG 34UM88C-P by lg because its a newer generation meaning the hopefully fixed the backlight bleed many older 21:9s had and i dont need thunderbolt. also i was thinking about the curved version that also goes up to 75hz but since im going to work on the thing too i feel like i want to avoid distortion so the flat version is fine. i dont know what pricing in the us is like but in germany its 640€ that get you a 3440x1440 flat 34" IPS screen with freesync from 40-60hz and thats good enough for me. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 hours ago, ATFink said:

Obvious this doesn't meet 1440p criteria, but for you can get an LG 29UM68-P for $300 (US) through MicroCenter. I have one and can atest to it being a great monitor.

Anyways, I wanted 1440p or higher like you when I was in the monitor market, but $400 savings over a 1440p variant, the added freesync (in case I go AMD), and 75 Hz refresh rate convinced me. 

I was considering that monitor that you have but i have one question about it, can you play csgo well on it, it was this or a 1080 144hz if i dont go to 1440p

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

well im about to get the  LG 34UM88C-P by lg because its a newer generation meaning the hopefully fixed the backlight bleed many older 21:9s had and i dont need thunderbolt. also i was thinking about the curved version that also goes up to 75hz but since im going to work on the thing too i feel like i want to avoid distortion so the flat version is fine. i dont know what pricing in the us is like but in germany its 640€ that get you a 3440x1440 flat 34" IPS screen with freesync from 40-60hz and thats good enough for me. 

Yea I understand the idea of not wanting a curved screen for work related things, Ive seen that there is some odd distortion associated with it, idk its hard to choose waht exactly to get under 1k because they all have their upsides and downsides, to get something which incorporates everything its well over 1k.

37 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

I was considering that monitor that you have but i have one question about it, can you play csgo well on it, it was this or a 1080 144hz if i dont go to 1440p

Ill give my opinion on the matter, im a relatively frequent csgo player, I would say refresh rate is much more important particularly in csgo, whereas resolution is more important in movies, videos, and games which arent effected by millisecond lag, basically any non-fps or racing game. Basically in my opinion you have to decide if csgo or any other fps is the deciding factor on a screen, in my case it isnt, which is why im fine with lower refresh rate for higher resolution (but obviously id still like 75 if i can get it)

This is the monitor I ended up going with, LG 34" Curved Ultrawide FreeSync Monitor 34UC88-B, there were several reasons why. It seems as though most modern curved ultrawides on the market right now are based on the panel from the dell I first mentioned in this thread, even the Asus Predators, where as this monitor is around a year newer, has less bleed and overall is just a higher quality panel. I also chose this because while it is 60hz, all overclocking reports I have seen have been able to push it past 70 with some being able to get to 80. Lastly it was probably about as cheap as you can get on a newer curved monitor, specifically if you buy it on massdrop right now, its $660, otherwise its above 800 in most places.

On 27/7/2016 at 2:44 AM, arrowman1256 said:

I have been looking into ultrawides for a while now, and I cant come to a conclusion about what I want. I know that I would like to spend less than $1000 on one, but I for sure want 1440p and higher than 60hz if possible. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, I would also like if you were to include reasoning as to why if possible, thanks!

Two screens I have strongly considered: Samsung S34E790C, Dell u3415W

I got that Samsung monitor and I'm glad with it. I can't see any back light bleeding and after some tweaking, colors look nice. I don't know about overcloacking  it as I'm fine with 60 Hz. 

On 7/27/2016 at 1:38 AM, Dresta said:

The LG monitor in not LED while the Acer one is LED so the color is better

Pretty much all LCDs today use LED backlights, that's why it isn't listed. Generally LED backlights are considered to have worse color than CCFL, which is what was used in older LCDs. Improvements in color today are mostly due to better LCD panels being used, not the backlight.