Cover BIG!! area with Wifi network

DihMuzikien

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to cover a farm (about 1KM x 1KM) with wifi network. Any thoughts on what's the best way of doing it?

Thanks!!

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Build-a-Large-Citywide-WiFi-HotspotZone

This is a good place to start, basically you'll need multiple wireless access points capable of handing off between one another.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

11 minutes ago, unidentical said:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Build-a-Large-Citywide-WiFi-HotspotZone

This is a good place to start, basically you'll need multiple wireless access points cable if handing off between one another.

they make dishes that will do a good job at that.

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

What are the devices that are trying to connect? There are two ways to do this but it depends on what you're using.

• Mobile devices/tablets/laptops
    • You'll need multiple AP's spread out across the area meshing together. Something like the Outdoor UAP's from UniFi
  • Clients that are able to use a wireless bridge.
    • With this method you can have a couple of access points utilizing a PTMP or point to multi point setup. You would have a couple of AP's providing coverage across the area with other AP's acting as receivers. This method can be used to cover great distance quite easily as it is a very focused beam of data, not a bubble like a standard AP.

Are the receiving stations fixed or mobile? 

How many users do you expect and what are their bandwidth needs?

Do you have any elevated locations to install wireless gear? 

Do you also need wireless backhaul?

Do you have any control over the wireless hardware? 

Do you literally expect a certain level of performance for every square inch of that square km?  Or are weak spots/dead zones acceptable?

The mines which have to tackle this similar problem that I'm familiar with just end up using 4G LTE technology, and equipping the clients accordingly (ie: WWAN capability in the laptops).  Because there's spectrum license involved, they basically have to pay a licensed carrier to set it up/operate it, but they're quite willing to do so for a fee.