16GB RAM stick on Asus Z170-A

Go to solution Solved by ClobberXD,
4 minutes ago, Baresdakilla said:

My question is whether Asus Z170-A motherboard support 16GB sticks of ram. I plan to use Crucial Ballistix with it. I already read the list of compatible RAM on their website, but i guess it was done in the time of release (1 year ago) when the 16GB sticks weren't much of a thing + they can't possibly test every RAM type. The mobo supports 64GB of RAM total, so I guess you should be able to use it since 16*4=64. Do any of you run this config? Would it work?

It will work for sure, if it satisfies the following conditions (which it does):

• DDR4
  • Total Memory Capacity <= 64GB

Individual module's capacity doesn't matter, as you cannot develop new and larger capacities with existing memory standards. When DDR4 was introduced, 16 GB was decided as the maximum capacity that an individual stick (module) can hold, and it's fixed. RAM capacities more than 64 GB can only be introduced with DDR5.

It will work for sure! :)

My question is whether Asus Z170-A motherboard support 16GB sticks of ram. I plan to use Crucial Ballistix with it. I already read the list of compatible RAM on their website, but i guess it was done in the time of release (1 year ago) when the 16GB sticks weren't much of a thing + they can't possibly test every RAM type. The mobo supports 64GB of RAM total, so I guess you should be able to use it since 16*4=64. Do any of you run this config? Would it work?

As long as it's DDR4, can't see why it wouldn't work.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

I have a Z170-A. I do not have 16GB sticks. Yes 16GB sticks work. its the only way to achieve the 64GB RAM supported by this motherboard. I'm currently using Vengeance LPX 2x8 @ 3000MHz which is not technically on their supported RAM list and it works just fine. You will be just fine.

4 minutes ago, Baresdakilla said:

It will work for sure, if it satisfies the following conditions (which it does):

• DDR4
  • Total Memory Capacity <= 64GB

Individual module's capacity doesn't matter, as you cannot develop new and larger capacities with existing memory standards. When DDR4 was introduced, 16 GB was decided as the maximum capacity that an individual stick (module) can hold, and it's fixed. RAM capacities more than 64 GB can only be introduced with DDR5.

It will work for sure! :)

Nothing to see here ;)