Intel xeon phi capabilities

for some time i have had an Intel xeon phi 3120P engineering sample in my possession and feeling terrible not being able to use it.

my father bought it for an unknown reason, possibly thinking it would work well with our dual w5590 1u system.

after many attempts and no success my father gave up on trying to get it to work.

i am well aware of the purpose co-processors have but i have idea's for it that i wish to try.

1. adobe video rendering.

with 228 threads of power who could resist trying to render video's and tremendously reduce render times but keep every bit of quality?

2. blender rendering

while i currently am still learning how to use blender i would like to know that whenever i have a project ready to render that i have a small render farm at my disposal.

3. folding@home

while i'm quite sure this would probably never work it would be interesting to see if it could be made to work. dramatically reducing the time it takes to complete each fold.

while i know that what i am asking here is strange, i would very much like to know if any of the 3 things i wish to do with it can be done and if it is i will try my very best to make that happen.

any helpful comments are greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

for some time i have had an Intel xeon phi 3120P engineering sample in my possession and feeling terrible not being able to use it.

my father bought it for an unknown reason, possibly thinking it would work well with our dual w5590 1u system.

after many attempts and no success my father gave up on trying to get it to work.

i am well aware of the purpose co-processors have but i have idea's for it that i wish to try.

1. adobe video rendering.

with 228 threads of power who could resist trying to render video's and tremendously reduce render times but keep every bit of quality?

2. blender rendering

while i currently am still learning how to use blender i would like to know that whenever i have a project ready to render that i have a small render farm at my disposal.

3. folding@home

while i'm quite sure this would probably never work it would be interesting to see if it could be made to work. dramatically reducing the time it takes to complete each fold.

while i know that what i am asking here is strange, i would very much like to know if any of the 3 things i wish to do with it can be done and if it is i will try my very best to make that happen.

any helpful comments are greatly appreciated.

About the Folding Home

"

Intel Xeon Phi

In late 2012, Intel brought to market the Xeon Phi Coprocessor, based on their Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture. The basis of the Intel MIC architecture is to leverage x86 legacy by creating a x86-compatible multiprocessor architecture that can utilize existing parallelization software tools.

However, there is no direct compatibility with GROMACS, as the Pentium class chips lack modern chip optimizations like SSE, but a SIMD or OPENCL port is not out of the question at some future point. The hardware cost puts this out of the reach of most consumers, and will mostly see an institutional customer base, futher limiting its possible adoption. This platform is being watched as it matures.

"

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD