I have Audio Distortion in my SPDIF Input

seym56

I just bought a sound card that has an SPDIF input so that I can run my TV sound into my PC. The issue is that it is distorted when I have it turned on. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the static or is there something I missed?

is this the optical or analog spdif connection? If its the analog rca connector, a new cable may fix it. If not a ground loop isolator would be your bets bet.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It is an Optical cable. I am going to get a new cable from my brother tomorrow, so I'll know if it is that then. The cable goes from the SPDIF output on the TV to my SPDIF input on my sound card. (I hate that the Apple TV gen 4 doesn't have an optical output)

Does the distortion change depending on what's being played, or is it constant?

If it's constant, does it sound like the white noise of an untuned radio or is it a bunch of very short pops and clicks?