X99 Build (Please critique)

I am looking into a new build to replace my laptop as the device I do all my work on. I will mainly be using it for college work, programming, video editing, and some animation, primarily in After Effects.

That is the list I've come up with after research. My budget is S$2600.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GGDq3F

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($422.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($98.99 @ NCIX US) 
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($333.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
  • Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
  • Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card  ($438.99 @ B&H) 
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
  • Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ B&H) 

This is adding up to SGD2630. I am living in Singapore, and I don't particularly want to import any parts from other countries and deal with warranty hassles.

I am undecided on the choice of CPU cooler, the H100i, Fractal S24, and the 240M are all available at $175, while the NH-D15 is $149. Which should I go for? I am concerned about PCIe slot clearance with the Noctua.

Also, is the ASUS motherboard reliable? It is about $18 more than the X99-A II, but I would end up spending that much on a WiFi adapter anyway.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Spoiler

404PCNotFound - CPU: Core i7-6800K, RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz, Cooler: MasterLiquid Pro 240 + NF-F12s, GPU: Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme, Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, WD Blue 2TB, Case: Phanteks Evolv X, PSU: Corsair HX850i, Peripherals: Ducky Shine 4, Logitech MX Master 2S, Bose QC35

6 minutes ago, Eve said:

Looks pretty good. If you wanna save an extra buck go with the i7-5820K.

Be sure to check compatibility with the MoBo. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X99-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

Good luck with the build!

-Eve

The memory appears on the QVL List, and the CPU is also listed as supported. 

Thanks for the help.

Spoiler

404PCNotFound - CPU: Core i7-6800K, RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz, Cooler: MasterLiquid Pro 240 + NF-F12s, GPU: Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme, Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, WD Blue 2TB, Case: Phanteks Evolv X, PSU: Corsair HX850i, Peripherals: Ducky Shine 4, Logitech MX Master 2S, Bose QC35

10 hours ago, amish said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

The build looks really well planned and should serve you well. 

I really like the storage solution configuration. Since you are going to work on projects I suggest that you consider a backup solution where you can safely have all your important projects and data stored. You could either consider having an external drive, a NAS or use a cloud service to store them on. 

Another thing to consider is having some level of redundancy in your system by having a RAID array. Though WD Blue is a great data drive, if you are going for RAID I'd recommend going with WD Red drives as they are designed specifically for that purpose and have additional features such as TLER which gives you more safety and reduces chances of drive dropouts and data corruption.

The amount of memory may be a bit overkill, though this heavily depends on your workload and the applications that you are using so it's entirely up to you. :)

Post back if you need some recommendations regarding the storage!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Are you doing any gaming ?

Any plans to SLI ?

6 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

~snip~

Thanks for the feedback. The WD Blue was a bit of a compromise, as I felt that the additional storage would be better than the speed of a Black. I am currently not planning on a RAID setup, and my backup solution is my external hard drives, to which I will manually backup regularly. A NAS isn't really an option for me due to the University network being a Class-A b***h to work with for almost anything, sometimes including just plain old internet access.

As for the memory, my friend has been routinely bitching about how much memory After Effects eats, so, I am erring on the side of caution. Better to have it and not use it, rather than the other way rough, yeah?

4 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Are you doing any gaming ?

Any plans to SLI ?

Occasional gaming, but nothing regular. I might game more in the future, time permitting.

No current plans to SLI.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, amish said:

Occasional gaming, but nothing regular. I might game more in the future, time permitting.

No current plans to SLI.

Ok so you won't need a power supply that big. A 550W is enough for a GTX 1070 and i7. 

You can also save money on the motherboard and cpu by going for something like the MSI X99A SLI PLUS and the i7 5820K cpu as it should be cheaper than the i7 6800K. You can always buy a separate pci-e wifi card to plug in.

As for the cpu cooler, the Noctua will be quieter. If you are worried about the pci-e clearance then see if you can get the D15S as it has better compatibility than the regular D15 and it should be slightly cheaper. Otherwise you can check on Noctua's website for any compatibility issues with the D15 for whatever board you decide on.

13 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Ok so you won't need a power supply that big. A 550W is enough for a GTX 1070 and i7. 

You can also save money on the motherboard and cpu by going for something like the MSI X99A SLI PLUS and the i7 5820K cpu as it should be cheaper than the i7 6800K. You can always buy a separate pci-e wifi card to plug in.

As for the cpu cooler, the Noctua will be quieter. If you are worried about the pci-e clearance then see if you can get the D15S as it has better compatibility than the regular D15 and it should be slightly cheaper. Otherwise you can check on Noctua's website for any compatibility issues with the D15 for whatever board you decide on.

The 5820K with the MSI SLI Plus is ~$120 cheaper, but I want to buy the newest thing available, and Haswell-E is a bit too old for me. Take into account the cost of a wifi solution, I think I'd rather just pay the additional cost to get the newer generation.

PCPartPicker is showing me a system wattage of unto 493W. I don't feel very comfortable going for a PSU without any headroom. Also, I would like some OC headroom. 650W is 200, 750 is 210 and 850 is 230. Is the additional wattage worth it, or should I just go for the RM650i?

Spoiler

18 hours ago, amish said:

~snip~

Well, the WD Blue shouldn't be that behind the WD Black for regular storage purposes so I wouldn't really worry about that. you are always free to add more storage to the build down the road if you prefer the have faster performance and longer warranty now with the WD Black, though. It's up to you.

Good thinking on the backups, kudos for that.

Regarding the memory, you can always add more if needed if you are on a tight budget now, but you are correct in saying that having more than needed isn't a bad thing at all. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/