Windows can't install on an SSD in my laptop? Help needed

JorenBus

So I decided to upgrade the shitty HDD in my laptop for a 128GB SSD I had laying around.

Everything is fine, until I have to select what drive I want to install windows on. First I had to format the drive, now I get this error:

Windows cannot be installed on this drive. The selected drive contains a MBR-partitiontabel. On EFI-systems you can only install Windows on GPT-drives.

Any idea what this means?

Any help is appreciated.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

i had this exam same problem trying to dual boot Mac OSX and windows 10. in the end i used refus to create a bootable USB and i selected UEFI and bios scheem for MBR partition and it installed 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

3 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

So I decided to upgrade the shitty HDD in my laptop for a 128GB SSD I had laying around.

Everything is fine, until I have to select what drive I want to install windows on. First I had to format the drive, now I get this error:

Windows cannot be installed on this drive. The selected drive contains a MBR-partitiontabel. On EFI-systems you can only install Windows on GPT-drives.

Any idea what this means?

Any help is appreciated.

I believe your laptop has UEFI-style BIOS, which means it is restricted to drives using GUID Partition Table (GPT.)  On the same screen you're on, format the SSD or delete it and format it and let windows remake it with GPT.

Just now, forthe48 said:

I believe your laptop has UEFI-style BIOS, which means it is restricted to drives using GUID Partition Table (GPT.)  On the same screen you're on, format the SSD or delete it and format it and let windows remake it with GPT.

If I format it, windows gives me that error.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

so this has a few factors going for it so lets break them down. 

EFI systems, this basically means the newer mouse driven BIOS you can typically change the setting to use what will be called something like Legacy boot which would allow you to boot using an MBR system.

However if you can just do as you please with this system and don't NEED to use MBR, then try the automatic option for formatting rather than what you tried last time. 

3 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

If I format it, windows gives me that error.

in that case your installer may be out of date or it's time to plug that drive into a larger system and convert it to GPT there

1 minute ago, Chris Greenwood said:

while these aren't directly related you are going to have to delete the old partitions if you are going with GPT

Somehow my USB stick I used to install Windows with, got wiped out and now it says there's no operating system found.

I guess I have to do the following now:

Make a new bootable USB drive with my old HDD

Connect the SSD to my desktop, format it to GPT

Repeat everything I've done and that's it.

Correct?

If it is Windows 10. Simply go to another system, plug your USB key, and get Windows Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 Click on "Download Tool Now" button), and let the tool get Windows 10, and prepare your USB flash drive properly.

Once done, bring it to you computer, boot from it. In Windows 10 setup, select each partition, and delete them. You should have only 1 item listed (assuming your system only has an SSD), pick it, hit New, then click on Next.