Wifi speed tests are fast, but actual use is slow

minimoose

So I have an RT-N66U and what I've noticed is that while my speed tests easily hit my max speed of 90mbps when I'm actually browsing things are really pretty slow, even just scrolling down Facebook images don't load or take a long time too. I don't really get this, is there some settings that can help with this?

are you going to speedtest.net?

1 minute ago, MagnesiumPC said:

are you going to speedtest.net?

I've used speedtest.net, fast.com and testmy.net, they all give around 80-90 Mbps 

Just now, minimoose said:

I've used speedtest.net, fast.com and testmy.net, they all give around 80-90 Mbps 

its because the ISP is fast-channeling those sites.

Pretty scummy, I know.

try http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

Just now, minimoose said:

Still got 80...

Does your router have QoS enabled?

1 minute ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Does your router have QoS enabled?

No, I've read that doesn't work well, right?

are you using firefox? not sure why but FF started being slow like molasses but other browsers work fine for me. Tried uninstalling, even tried it after a clean install and it was still terribly slow

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

are you using firefox? not sure why but FF started being slow like molasses but other browsers work fine for me. Tried uninstalling, even tried it after a clean install and it was still terribly slow

No, this is on a variety of devices, I personally use a combination of chrome and safari, but my other family members on android and Windows and iOS and macOS have the same thing

use something like this to check for interference https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en  I'm guessing you're doing the speed tests in the same places you're having problems

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

3 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

use something like this to check for interference https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en  I'm guessing you're doing the speed tests in the same places you're having problems

It's 5GHZ and that app shows only 2 other 5ghz networks in my area, so no interference.

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

speed isn't the whole picture buddy. You also have to test for latency. Hell, your speeds could be 100 gigabit/second but that won't mean squat if your latency is 1000ms. Latency is actually very important when it comes to just standard web browsing, and you should also test for that before just concluding your ISP is doing something shady like traffic prioritization. 

So based on a few websites it seems like I'm getting between 13-25ms of latency, that's pretty good right? Is there a best website to test that? Any tips to lower latency?

Can you check your Router on a diffrent network? Sometimes the routers Processor cant keep up, it might have thermal issues. Maybe check for a Firmware Upgrade

I am having a similar problem with windows 10 on my new pc.  My task manager shows that I am downloading around 1mb/s but when I download something it peaks at 96kb/s and stays around 60kb/s.  Any suggestions for why that is happening?  I have already turned off P2P updates and sharing.