Going from i7-4770 to i5-4690k. Smart or not?

I had my i7-4770 for about a year now. The i7 works great but I want to overclock and that's something I can't do with a locked cpu. (Before you tell me I can, I tried and it can only go up to 4.067Ghz.)

I've talked to a friend of mine comparing a i7 to a i5 for gaming, and he said a i5 is plenty for gaming.

So my question is, Would it be worth dropping down to a 4690k for overclocking or should I just keep the locked i7?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

not smart, wait for next generation.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Not worth imo. HT kinda makes up for the difference in clock speeds; it'll be better when playing some games, worse than others. If I was you, I'd just keep the 4770.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Keep the i7, no need to upgrade. However, the i5 may get slightly better performance, so unless you have money to waste, I wouldn't recommend wasting the i7

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

6 minutes ago, Savant82 said:

I'd just keep the locked i7.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

not smart, wait for next generation.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Not worth imo. HT kinda makes up for the difference in clock speeds; it'll be better when playing some games, worse than others. If I was you, I'd just keep the 4770.

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

Keep the i7, no need to upgrade. However, the i5 may get slightly better performance, so unless you have money to waste, I wouldn't recommend wasting the i7

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will be keeping the i7!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

1 minute ago, Dive5885 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes that is the smart choice. Glad to help. :D

2 minutes ago, Dive5885 said:

Thanks for the replies.

if possible, maybe try to get an i7 7xxx series if you want

there will be a tiny bit more preformance, but if your gpu is lacking (under a 1080, new cpu and mobo would cost about the same price as a 1080) you should get the 1080.. well whatever card nvdia/amd is releasing and is at your price point and has great preformance.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

if possible, maybe try to get an i7 7xxx series if you want

there will be a tiny bit more preformance, but if your gpu is lacking (under a 1080, new cpu and mobo would cost about the same price as a 1080) you should get the 1080.. well whatever card nvdia/amd is releasing and is at your price point and has great preformance.

I doubt that my i7 would bottleneck a 1080 or even a Pascal Titan X..

The only reason I wanted a K'Sku is for overclocking.

Just now, Dive5885 said:

I doubt that my i7 would bottleneck a 1080 or even a Pascal Titan X..

The only reason I wanted a K'Sku is for overclocking.

no, what im trying to say is if your gpu is >1080 you should upgrade to that instead of upgrading to a new cpu.

basically im agreeing with what you're saying, but trying to suggest purchasing a new gpu to run games better and  at higher settings

but if your gpu isn't a potato you might want to upgrade to a 7xxx intel cpu

sorry if its a bit confusing, its 2am for me and i havn't slept for 12 hours or so.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

no, what im trying to say is if your gpu is >1080 you should upgrade to that instead of upgrading to a new cpu.

basically im agreeing with what you're saying, but trying to suggest purchasing a new gpu to run games better and  at higher settings

but if your gpu isn't a potato you might want to upgrade to a 7xxx intel cpu

sorry if its a bit confusing, its 2am for me and i havn't slept for 12 hours or so.

Oh okay.

I understand now.