VGA to... adapter?

xMishax
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

You sure the GPU doesn't have a DVI-I connector? if so, then you could go straight from that to VGA with a passive cable.

Other than that, you'd need something like a DVI-D or HDMI to VGA Active Adapter.

Hello guys :) Need some help. I have a gpu that has display port, hdmi and dvi-d connections, however big problem is my monitor is kinda old and has only VGA connectivity. Is there any way I can connect my vga monitor to my graphics card?

You sure the GPU doesn't have a DVI-I connector? if so, then you could go straight from that to VGA with a passive cable.

Other than that, you'd need something like a DVI-D or HDMI to VGA Active Adapter.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

unfortunately it has only dvi-d. Could you drop me some links on how that active adapter looks?

Just now, xMishax said:

unfortunately it has only dvi-d. Could you drop me some links on how that active adapter looks?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Adapter-Micro-USB/dp/B00879DM56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469219054&sr=8-3&keywords=HDMI+TO+VGA+ACTIVE+ADAPTER

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, xMishax said:

it will work with that adapter, right?

Yep.

Just now, xMishax said:

A displayport can easily adapt to vga with an adaptor here's a link to one on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter-Converter/dp/B003V4TV8O

Might find one cheaper though, I don't have time to dig right now.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

24 minutes ago, xMishax said:

Hello guys :) Need some help. I have a gpu that has display port, hdmi and dvi-d connections, however big problem is my monitor is kinda old and has only VGA connectivity. Is there any way I can connect my vga monitor to my graphics card?

If your graphics cards doesn't have DVI-I, then a DisplayPort to VGA adapter is the next preferable. It is less finicky and generally cheaper than a DVI-D or HDMI to VGA converter.

HDMI to VGA active adapters would also be much cheaper and smaller , these converters take power straight from the hdmi connector (there's 5v there) and a chip converts the digital signal to analogue.

Here's an example of such device : http://www.dx.com/p/hdmi-male-to-vga-female-3-5mm-audio-output-black-237083#.V5KJs3mx9hE

Note however that since sites like dx.com ship this device from China or Hong Kong, it may take weeks for such item to arrive to you, so it may make more sense to pay extra to buy something locally or from a site like Amazon.com