i5 6600k and 1070

ChrisxParkinson

hey guys,

So about a year back i finally got rid of my ancient FX 8320 and got an i5 6600k (and even more recently upgraded to a 1070 gpu). I work in a retail store that gives me access to those cpu deals in the summer (really stupid cheap i7s and things like that)... i was just wondering if next summer i should consider grabbing one or is it really not going to make a difference for my games... i legit do nothing else besides gaming on my pc that would be taxing on the system.... no video editing or anything just office work and gaming 

is there any bottleneck on such a new card or is it still a good enough cpu for the job ? 

- Chris

I wouldn't personally. You're not going to see much improvement from upgrading to an i7 6700k. I think the main reason people would buy an i7 6700k would be hyperthreading which won't affect gaming much at all. 

Depends on your monitor. What would it be?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

im currently still part of the 1080p stone age but idk buddy above you said it wont make much of a difference... you really think its gonna make that much of a difference (granted im not paying even close to retail price for the chip so it wouldnt be the end of the world if i bought the 6700k or 7000 series chip prob cuz it will be next year 

- Chris

You will see performance gains at 1080p,but not at 1440 or above for the 1070.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

hey guys,

So about a year back i finally got rid of my ancient FX 8320 and got an i5 6600k (and even more recently upgraded to a 1070 gpu). I work in a retail store that gives me access to those cpu deals in the summer (really stupid cheap i7s and things like that)... i was just wondering if next summer i should consider grabbing one or is it really not going to make a difference for my games... i legit do nothing else besides gaming on my pc that would be taxing on the system.... no video editing or anything just office work and gaming 

is there any bottleneck on such a new card or is it still a good enough cpu for the job ? 

Don't upgrade. There's very little to gain at the moment.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

im currently still part of the 1080p stone age but idk buddy above you said it wont make much of a difference... you really think its gonna make that much of a difference (granted im not paying even close to retail price for the chip so it wouldnt be the end of the world if i bought the 6700k or 7000 series chip prob cuz it will be next year 

If you are still at 1080 60, then there's 0 reason to get an i7. You have a bottleneck on your display, not your CPU; thus you should invest on your display, not your CPU.

Instead of an i7, look to grab yourself a nice 1440p monitor.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!