Newegg vs Amazon

nick5530
13 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How does newegg have a better return policy than Amazon's "you say it's busted?  Instant replacement!" policy?  Not saying you're wrong just curious.

I said return, not replacement. Newegg Premier has no restocking fees and free return shipping labels on a ton of stuff. Even with Prime, if I return something (not replace), usually some of the return is used to buy a shipping label. Granted I haven't had to return much but still.

Bought a PSU I wound up not liking (too loud for my HTPC) and had to return it. Since I bought it from Newegg and I have Premier, I wasn't charged shipping or restocking fees.

I accidentally ordered the wrong version of a game on Amazon and didn't catch it till after it shipped. I didn't even open it but still had to pay for a shipping label. So I lost about $5 of my return. Not a huge deal but it still sucks.

Trade off, though. Amazon issues refunds way faster. Stuff usually goes back to the return center in Kentucky. Not only that, they usually refund me before it's even got there. Newegg waits till it's made it to their return center in California and has been processed before issuing a refund.

2 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

I said return, not replacement. Newegg Premier has no restocking fees and free return shipping labels on a ton of stuff. Even with Prime, if I return something (not replace), usually some of the return is used to buy a shipping label. Granted I haven't had to return much but still.

Bought a PSU I wound up not liking (too loud for my HTPC) and had to return it. Since I bought it from Newegg and I have Premier, I wasn't charged shipping or restocking fees.

I accidentally ordered the wrong version of a game on Amazon and didn't catch it till after it shipped. I didn't even open it but still had to pay for a shipping label. So I lost about $5 of my return. Not a huge deal but it still sucks.

Trade off, though. Amazon issues refunds way faster though. Stuff usually goes back to the return center in Kentucky. Not only that, they usually refund me before it's even got there. Newegg waits till it's made it to their return center in California and has been processed before issuing a refund.

Well technically it's fair to charge at least for return shipping if there's nothing wrong with the item.  Otherwise people could abuse a free return policy and Amazon would bleed money.  

Though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to free return shipping on even unopened items.  ?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Well technically it's fair to charge at least for return shipping if there's nothing wrong with the item.  Otherwise people could abuse a free return policy and Amazon would bleed money.  

Though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to free return shipping on even unopened items.  ?

If I wasn't a Prime or Premier member, then return and restocking fees are fine. Hell, with as much as I get with Prime, I actually don't really mind it that much since returns are a bit a of a rarity for me. Still though, Newegg has free returns with Premier eligible items so if both Amazon and Newegg have it for the same price, I'm getting it from Newegg just in case.

8 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

If I wasn't a Prime or Premier member, then return and restocking fees are fine. Hell, with as much as I get with Prime, I actually don't really mind it that much since returns are a bit a of a rarity for me. Still though, Newegg has free returns with Premier eligible items so if both Amazon and Newegg have it for the same price, I'm getting it from Newegg just in case.

That makes sense to do.

I order from Amazon a lot and I order a lot of games and movies and similar fragile things that have a higher than average chance to come damaged.  Also I'm a bit of a picky collector so even minor defects are enough to warrant a return in my mind.  It doesn't help that I keep having things come in those STUPID CRAP BUBBLE ENVELOPES...  Heck, even when orders come in nice cardboard boxes half the time there's no packing materials used..

So Amazon's quick replacement/return/refund polices make it fairly simple to resolve issues.  Not always but most of the time.