.net framework 3.5 install problem Windows 10

KeltonDSMer

I am pretty pissed off right now, I have wasted hours and hours trying to install .net framework 3.5 on a 1 week old fresh install of W10 home 64bit, not an upgrade.

I tried installing it  via the prompt when I attempt to launch a game that needs it, nope error "0x00f0922". I tried using the "add windows feature" method with same error. I searched the error codes and found the CMD prompt entries to install it manually, same error. I tried to install it offline directly from the W10 DVD as the source address using some tool I found during my search, no luck. I tried weird suggestions that had lots of upvotes on answers.microsoft.com like changing group policy settings, resolving alerts in the action center, then tried everything again listed on this page which the MS "chat" people kept referencing with no success: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782

I even toggled read/write permissions and always ran everything as admin.

I got so upset that I just nuked the drive with the 200GB of games I put on it over the last week and re-installed (pretty lame considering ~1-2MB down). First thing I did on the desktop was to try the easiest "add windows feature" method and it installed right away!.......what the actual fuck MS>:(:o:|. This is a basic feature and I could not get it to work until I reinstalled the OS; there must be a better solution to this! I had Steam installed, some games, GPUz/CPUz/HWmonitor, and Firefox; nothing that jumps to mind that would mess with something like a .net framework install.

I know the LTT forums have some seriously high SEO, so I thought it was worth making a thread that someone might be able to reference in the future and save themselves the headaches. Has anyone else had this problem or have a suggestion I didn't try?

I waited to "upgrade" my other box to W10 from 8.1 until two weeks ago so MS could work out the goddamn bugs like this over the course of the last year. It went fine for that week so I felt comfortable buying W10 for the new box. It makes me absolutely irate that the MS help people have to start suggesting CMD prompt entries to regular users with the same problem...nice way to show off your new fancy OS to the people that got "forced" to upgrade without asking for it or just bought a $400 PC at best buy, fuckers! I'm sure they will tell all their friends how horrible windows is while they are waiting in line at the apple store so that they can buy a $1500 computer for youtube and facebook because "it just works". Maybe MS should have reconsidered getting rid of the majority of their testing division! The fact that OEM PCs do not come with OS installation media any longer makes this a huge problem!

The new DX/OS exclusivity is shit as it has always been, I honestly can't think of another reason I would have purchased W10 over 7 or even 8.1. I certainly would not have "upgraded" the living room box otherwise. Having to keep updates turned off for fear that I will wake up with a different OS on my PC is not okay. I should not have to look up every KB# update to see if it will do something crazy that I don't want. I know software needs to progress and of course it is easier for MS to support one OS, but this all was such a turn off. Having to tell W10 not to allow advertisers to build profiles for me on the software I just paid $100 for is absurd, along with a long list of other bullshit I had to change form the default settings found in countless different menus; this is unacceptable. If MS wants to have a little intro "here are all our new features one by one, do you want to use them?" that would be fine. Having all this shit active with express install (and many more after custom install) with no prompting is infuriating. I didn't listen to all the rabble rabble people were talking about W10 for the last year because "internet" people always overreact. Then I installed it and had a major problem with in a week. Fuck!

Not like it matters here, but someone always asks:

-Asrock z170mPRO4s

-I3 6100 (stock speeds any time I install vital programs to avoid a flipped bit somewhere critical)

-r9270

-BX100 240GB

-EVGA 600wBronze

-W10 Home 64bit fresh (1 week old) OEM disk install, not upgrade

-Current drivers

-Current windows updates installed (like I have a choice nowxD:()

Are you sure that the game needs .NET 3.5? Usually games wants DirectX runtime lib, or C++ Redistributable, as the devs are too lazy to include the needed files, or build their stuff correctly.

But that said, installing .NET 3.5 from Program & Feature's "Turn Windows feature on or off" panel, should be working. I mean it is on my side.

Capture.PNG

Very strange that it doesn't work.

You can try the installer here if you have not tried that:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Does that work?

Did you use any registry cleaners?

Did you use any system clean up tool, or tools to 'maximize storage' ?

just for your knowledge, I experienced this too, and YOU CAN NEVER FIX IT only by reinstalling, my problem was using kmspico which leads to corrupted windows files 

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Are you sure that the game needs .NET 3.5? Usually games wants DirectX runtime lib, or C++ Redistributable, as the devs are too lazy to include the needed files, or build their stuff correctly.

But that said, installing .NET 3.5 from Program & Feature's "Turn Windows feature on or off" panel, should be working. I mean it is on my side.

Capture.PNG

Very strange that it doesn't work.

You can try the installer here if you have not tried that:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Does that work?

Did you use any registry cleaners?

Did you use any system clean up tool, or tools to 'maximize storage' ?

The only reason I was trying to install it is because both "Smite" and "Dragon Age Origins" prompted me at the initial launch attempt from steam to install .net framwork 3.5.

-Yes, that image of the "Turn Windows feature on or off" window is the first thing I tried when the install failed from the prompt to install after trying to initially launch the game(s) through Steam. It gave me the same error as the prompt attempts, and again the same error when I tried it through the installer you linked (found that link earlier). I tried CMD lines, and even installing it offline directly from the brand new store bought installation media (DVD) using a tool someone made for the same problem on W8 (it said it works on 10 as well).

I feel like I tried everything and gave up when I had spent twice the time as a fresh install would take. I used the "reset" function booting from the DVD that wipes all the files/programs but didn't reformat the drive so I guess I shouldn't say I "nuked" it. First thing I did at the desktop was to go to the "turn windows features on or off" window you have shown and .net framework 3.5 installed without a hitch.

The thing that doesn't make any sense is I formatted Windows exactly as I did a week ago, yet the 3.5 installation completed only after new OS install.

I did not try any registry or clean up tools, but what could have possibly gone wrong with any of that after 1 week? I only had Firefox, Steam, 3 games, and monitoring software installed. I mean, OEM PCs ship with more programs installed before the end user turns it on for the first time than what I had on there. I also don't install programs with OC and I keep my SSDs <85% capacity to try and avoid weird shit just like this!

I haven't had this much frustration in a long time, so I thought making a thread with good key words in case someone is searching for a solution like I was in the future. My solution was to reinstall which is completely ridiculous IMO but I was at my wit's end! Even your small suggestion of registry/system cleaners might help someone (or were you asking because that could have been the source of the problem:o?)

It's all up and running now, but I had to post in case someone had a solid solution other than OS reinstall for future reference.

13 minutes ago, bkmd100 said:

just for your knowledge, I experienced this too, and YOU CAN NEVER FIX IT only by reinstalling, my problem was using kmspico which leads to corrupted windows files 

I am always paranoid about corrupted OS files. One of the big issues I have with having no control over Windows updates is I run balls to the walls OC on my chips on some games. Since I now cannot access UEFI before windows installs updates it puts me at risk almost every day!

Hmmm, it looks like Asrock has a utility that goes straight to UEFI from OS, maybe I should install it so I don't get caught off guard with a "update and restart/update and shut down" option when I am running 4.3GHz at the ragged edge of stability (stock cooler no airflow case so I have to keep Vcore as low as possible).

1 minute ago, KeltonDSMer said:

I am always paranoid about corrupted OS files. One of the big issues I have with having no control over Windows updates is I run balls to the walls OC on my chips on some games. Since I now cannot access UEFI before windows installs updates it puts me at risk almost every day!

Hmmm, it looks like Asrock has a utility that goes straight to UEFI from OS, maybe I should install it so I don't get caught off guard with a "update and restart/update and shut down" option when I am running 4.3GHz at the ragged edge of stability (stock cooler no airflow case so I have to keep Vcore as low as possible).

Here is a tip, try these two commands : sfc /scan and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

if both resulted errors, dont waste your time, reinstall windows , I highly recommand downgrading to 7 ultimate 

2 minutes ago, bkmd100 said:

Here is a tip, try these two commands : sfc /scan and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

if both resulted errors, dont waste your time, reinstall windows , I highly recommand downgrading to 7 ultimate 

Okay thanks for the tips. I already reinstalled before I made the thread but I wanted to have it for reference with good key phrases in case someone has the same problem in the future and can fix it without a new OS install. LTT forums are pretty high up in Google searches so I thought it might help somebody not have to reinstall their OS.

I wasn't planning on going W10 but I just had played the original Deus Ex and Human revolution, had a great time, and realized a new game is coming out this year with DX12 support:(. It got me worried I wouldn't be able to maximize my gaming experiences unless I moved to W10.

8 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

That is because you have Fast Boot enabled in your UEFI. They are a variety of ways to go into your UEFI:

1. Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup (Once you click on "Restart now" button under that section, you can go under Troubleshoot > Advanced, and you have the option to go to your UEFI).
  2. Start > Power button > Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard, and select "Restart".. hold Shift key until a menu will show. On that menu, like above, go under Troubleshooting > Advanced, and you have the option to go to your UEFI. You can do the same on the Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen Power button.
  3. Boot from a Windows setup disk or USB, and go under Repair Windows, and you'll have the option inside to get there. (good in the case you really can't boot Windows)
  4. Many motherboards have a dedicated button to go your to  your UEFI somewhere
  5. And you have the motherboard manufacture that makes a software.

Now I am not going to lie, I heard the issue with .NET 3.5 not installing since Windows 8, and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 under Windows 7.

Now I never experienced this problem, nor on any system I fixed. If you said you never used a system teak tool that modifies system files, or use some crappy registry cleaner, then I am wondering if some software that .NET 3.5 does some crap in trying to install itself, fails, and asks you to install it manually. But by that time, your system screwed up.

And I am guessing this, because on my side, after installing Windows, and drivers and update the OS fully, this is what I do right after. I install .NET 3.5 before installing any software, as I know that I have a few odd software that needs it.

8 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

Okay thanks for the tips. I already reinstalled before I made the thread but I wanted to have it for reference with good key phrases in case someone has the same problem in the future and can fix it without a new OS install. LTT forums are pretty high up in Google searches so I thought it might help somebody not have to reinstall their OS.

I wasn't planning on going W10 but I just had played the original Deus Ex and Human revolution, had a great time, and realized a new game is coming out this year with DX12 support:(. It got me worried I wouldn't be able to maximize my gaming experiences unless I moved to W10.

An idea just came to my head: I am going to try that I run repair thing from the cd, If that worked I will tell you in comments :)

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is because you have Fast Boot enabled in your UEFI. They are a variety of ways to go into your UEFI:

1. Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup (Once you click on "Restart now" button under that section, you can go under Troubleshoot > Advanced, and you have the option to go to your UEFI).
  2. Start > Power button > Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard, and select "Restart".. hold Shift key until a menu will show. On that menu, like above, go under Troubleshooting > Advanced, and you have the option to go to your UEFI. You can do the same on the Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen Power button.
  3. Boot from a Windows setup disk or USB, and go under Repair Windows, and you'll have the option inside to get there. (good in the case you really can't boot Windows)
  4. Many motherboards have a dedicated button to go your to  your UEFI somewhere
  5. And you have the motherboard manufacture that makes a software.

This actually made me lol:), I know how to get into UEFI and I don't use fast boot. Pretty sure I've looked at every single option in every menu in UEFI. I have 4 different OC profiles at varying temp/speed/stability for different programs (I like benching for Jumper118's thread in the CPU/mobo section).

The utility interested me because I thought it might let me bypass windows doing its regular "restart" procedure. I just tried it, it does not. It is obviously for people who aren't able to mash delete fast enough at start up which is not my problem here! I still have no way to keep windows from updating on it's own if I have one of my agressive/not 100% stable OC profiles loaded. That sucks. I guess I just have to manually check for updates every time before loading one of those profiles and hope a new update isn't pushed through while I'm gaming/benching. AFAIK there is no way to safely shut down or restart without windows updating if it has downloaded an update during the current session.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Now I am not going to lie, I heard the issue with .NET 3.5 not installing since Windows 8, and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 under Windows 7.

Now I never experienced this problem, nor on any system I fixed. If you said you never used a system teak tool that modifies system files, or use some crappy registry cleaner, then I am wondering if some software that .NET 3.5 does some crap in trying to install itself, fails, and asks you to install it manually. But by that time, your system screwed up.

And I am guessing this, because on my side, after installing Windows, and drivers and update the OS fully, this is what I do right after. I install .NET 3.5 before installing any software, as I know that I have a few odd software that needs it.

Yeah during my searching some of the people with the same problems were dating back to 8.0, pretty crazy there is no obvious "fix".

I always did OS install->chipset/LAN drivers->video/audio drivers->programs. I guess I'll just add the .net 3.5 framework in front of the video/audio drivers to my routine from now on:P!

I wonder why it isn't installed by default, I mean the files are already there on the installation media!? Sure I "need" all the weird location/hotspot shit enabled by default (obviously for mobile users and NOT for my desktop) but not the things that will let me run my not so old games:|. Lame.

36 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

Yeah during my searching some of the people with the same problems were dating back to 8.0, pretty crazy there is no obvious "fix".

I always did OS install->chipset/LAN drivers->video/audio drivers->programs. I guess I'll just add the .net 3.5 framework in front of the video/audio drivers to my routine from now on:P!

Yea... it looks like we have to do this to ensure 0 problem.

I wonder why it isn't installed by default, I mean the files are already there on the installation media!? Sure I "need" all the weird location/hotspot shit enabled by default (obviously for mobile users and NOT for my desktop) but not the things that will let me run my not so old games:|. Lame.

I am not sure at 100%, but I know Microsoft is pushing .NET 4.x which is pre-installed. The push is due (from my understanding) that .NET 4.x is being more secure, better memory management, and faster (beside a wide set of new features for developers to make their life easier). Again, all my guess. What I do know is that developers needs to update their software to it. Most software are on .NET 4.x. Very old ones are 3.5.

14 hours ago, bkmd100 said:

An idea just came to my head: I am going to try that I run repair thing from the cd, If that worked I will tell you in comments :)

Quick update: i failed, I even tried resetting the windows.

currently I am downgrading to wndows 7 :(

Just now, bkmd100 said:

Quick update: i failed, I even tried resetting the windows.

currently I am downgrading to wndows 7 :(

Wow that stinks, sorry to hear that. Very odd that this has been happening for a while, but not many people seem to be affected. It would be less bothersome if the cause was well known, then we could just work around it.