Which UPS to get

Sank

I want to get an UPS(Uninterrupted power supply) for my PC as i get a lot of power outages here, i have a 850w PSU 2xBenQ xl2411z, but I don't know how to select a UPS which i could use to run the computer for about at least 30mins, could you please help me select a ups.

Thank you

Just now, Sank said:

I want to get an UPS(Uninterrupted power supply) for my PC as i get a lot of power outages here, i have a 850w PSU 2xBenQ xl2411z, but I don't know how to select a UPS which i could use to run the computer for about at least 30mins, could you please help me select a ups.

Thank you

What is the full spec list for your PC? You probably aren't using all 850 watts of your PC.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

What is the full spec list for your PC? You probably aren't using all 850 watts of your PC.

i will have a gtx 1080 FTW Evga hopefully if i can get my hands on it, 2x 850evo 500gb, 1x 256gb 950pro z170 deluxe and 6700k

1 minute ago, Sank said:

i will have a gtx 1080 FTW Evga hopefully if i can get my hands on it, 2x 850evo 500gb, 1x 256gb 950pro z170 deluxe and 6700k

I probably rate your system at 350 watts at full load, but it's probably like 100 watts or less at idle. Do you have a strict budget? 30 min of runtine usually doesn't come cheap.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I probably rate your system at 350 watts at full load, but it's probably like 100 watts or less at idle. Do you have a strict budget? 30 min of runtine usually doesn't come cheap.

nah, the budget is flexible, but how do you calculate that?

6 minutes ago, Sank said:

You can look at each component and add what the manufacturer lists as their peak, but that doesn't work very well very often due to manufacturers drastically over-estimating a lot of the time. It kinda just takes experience to estimate. 

Most calculators are horse shit. 

7 minutes ago, Sank said:

Ah, I'm using the TDP of your parts from reviews. Yeah, you're probably going to need something in the 1400Watt + range to reach 30min plus. Ah, I forgot, your monitors at full load are about 22W, so your system at full load is roughly 400 watts. However, I predict your usual usage will only put the system at idle or half load. A lot of it depends on how hard you push your system.

http://powerquality.eaton.com/5P1500T.aspx?CX=3

Might work, but according to the site, 350 watts is about 23 min of run time (It's probably 19 in real life though).

I'm seeing this as $486 on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3KD8763&cm_re=eaton_5p-_-42-302-683-_-Product

I myself have a super overkill Eaton 9130 2000VA, 1800 watt unit. At 420 watts of load (My server and my desktop with my screen), my runtime is 44 min. However, my unit cost me $1,200. You should be fine with the mid range 5P series UPS units.

APC makes good units as well, but I hear better reviews about Eaton UPS units though.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, I'm using the TDP of your parts from reviews. Yeah, you're probably going to need something in the 1400Watt + range to reach 30min plus.

http://powerquality.eaton.com/5P1500T.aspx?CX=3

Might work, but according to the site, 350 watts is about 23 min of run time (It's probably 19 in real life though).

I'm seeing this as $486 on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3KD8763&cm_re=eaton_5p-_-42-302-683-_-Product

I myself have a super overkill Eaton 9130 2000VA, 1800 watt unit. At 420 watts of load (My server and my desktop with my screen), my runtime is 44 min. However, my unit cost me $1,200. You should be fine with the mid range 5P series UPS units.

APC makes good units as well, but I hear better reviews about Eaton UPS units though.

Thank a lot man!

2 minutes ago, Sank said:

Thank a lot man!

Yeah, if you want more runtime though, you're going to need a larger one. However, your system...I'm really doubting you keep it loaded 100% (This means you'd be loading both the GPU and CPU), so you're probably at 200-300watts under what I'd call a gaming load.

Oh, you're fine with a tower UPS right? If you wanted a rackmount one (For a server rack), they cost quite a bit more. However, it sounds like this is for a standalone PC and not a server though.

1 hour ago, Sank said:

Thank you

Most units only last a few minutes at full load so you could either go oversized or get a long run time UPS but those usually are quite expensive. Both of these are oversized units for what you would require for your system at full load:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-1500/P-BR1500G

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups/desktop/cp1500pfclcdtaa