New PSU Causing Computer to Freeze?

frostbite2600

Hey guys, long time lurker here, decided to create an account to try and narrow down what could be my issue. 

Here's my system stats:

CPU: Core i5 4690K

MoBo: Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI Mini-ITX

Case: Elite 130

RAM: Patriot DDR3 RAM

GPU: MSI Gaming X 1070

Hard Drive: PNY SSD 240GB

So, I bought my new GTX 1070 a few weeks ago and everything was running great. One thing that I didn't feel comfortable with was my PSU that I was using at the time as it was extremely cheap and I didn't like the idea of running a $400+ video card off of a $30 PSU. That PSU was a ThermalTake TR2 500W. I used this PSU with the 1070 for about 2-3 weeks with 0 issues. 

Fast forward to last week, I decided to go out and buy a Corsair CX600M. Put the PSU in and immediately started noticing that my PC would randomly freeze. It would freeze like i've seen bad memory cause where it just locks up, nothing works, no caps lock, nothing. So first line of business was to do stress tests on it. Booted into UBCD and tested CPU, Memory, and GPU Memory. Ran all of them for hours without issues. 

Booted back into windows, and once again another freeze occurs within 20 minutes. I then swapped out the PSU back to the ThermalTake and low and behold, all freezing went away. Kept it this way for a few days to confirm and sure enough, no more freezing. 

Replaced the Corsair PSU with an EVGA NEX750B from MicroCenter and guess what, same freezing. I'm at a loss of words as to what do to next as this is getting frustrating. 

I'd hate to keep using the ThermalTake PSU because honestly the build quality feels like a PSU that you get from a case built in, but at this point it's the only PSU that seems to work. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

thats really odd. if theres a PSU issue usually everything will simply shutdown without warning but I'm not sure how a diffrent, let alone better in every way, PSU could be causing this! so odd! my only thought is to reinstall windows to see if that will fix it...

7 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

thats really odd. if theres a PSU issue usually everything will simply shutdown without warning but I'm not sure how a diffrent, let alone better in every way, PSU could be causing this! so odd! my only thought is to reinstall windows to see if that will fix it...

Actually a faulty PSU is often a misdiagnosed cause of PC lockups and freezes. Was the PSU a refurb unit? I have noticed a lot of quality issues with the CX600M latley.

Put the ThermalTake PSU back in the system and see if the problems still exist. I actually would trust the ThermalTake over the CX600M. Thermaltake is also a well established brand in the enthusiast market. The CX600M is quite a problematic PSU. In fact, Google CX600M and this is one of the first results. http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=96784

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

While I agree thermaltake is a trusted brand, this particular PSU is pretty bottom of the barrel. Looking at the reviews on newegg are pretty clear that it's a POS which is why I wanted something different with the 1070.

The CX600M was refurbished, but the EVGA is brand new and has awesome build quality as well as really good reviews on Amazon and newegg. 

The EVGA PSU isn't freezing as much as the Corsair was, it's only freezing about once a day, but the thermaltake is flawless. Haven't had a single freeze from it. 

Im still within the return policy of the new EVGA, I'm just out of ideas as to what to buy. Being that I only have a 1070 I shouldn't need more than 500 watts, but I'm not sure which other PSU to try. Leaving the thermaltake in there with the 1070 just seems like a bad idea, even if it is working for now because I'm really concerned of the build quality and it causing damage to the 1070 down the road.

Thanks!

I thought the TR2 500W sounded familiar. That is the exact PSU I have in my Linux box now converted to my HTPC still going strong after 4 years. 3 of which where it had to power a HD4870.

20160721_181839.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580