Ssd install

Veelow
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
17 minutes ago, Veelow said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

You should be able to easily add a HDD down the road by simply turning off your system, adding the drive in there and plugging the SATA and Power cables and turning the system back on. The drive should appear in Disk Management and you should only Initialize, partition and format it and then assign a drive letter to it and you should be all set.

Make sure that the SSD is on top of your boot order in BIOS so the computer doesn't have problems with it.

I'd also recommend having a smaller SSD and a HDD now rather then adding a HDD down the road, but that's entirely up to your preference. :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

OK so I'm getting ready to start my first build and the last thing I need is the hard drives and Os. I plan on either getting a 500gb samsung ssd or a 960 sandisk ssd just to start off then adding a drive later. How would I go about adding another hdd later on so that they will function stable together. 

Just set windows up on an SSD as normal. There are some settings in Windows 10 that allow you to easily install a storage drive and forward all new files to that once you have it installed.

Info in this thread:

I edit my posts a lot.

2 minutes ago, Veelow said:

OK so I'm getting ready to start my first build and the last thing I need is the hard drives and Os. I plan on either getting a 500gb samsung ssd or a 960 sandisk ssd just to start off then adding a drive later. How would I go about adding another hdd later on so that they will function stable together. 

I would personally recommend getting a 120/250GB SSD for OS and one HDD for storage right away.

just plug it in.. there wont be any issues there, all i have to say is turn your pc off install it then when you go to computer/my pc/This pc you will see it there, if it isnt go to disk management, look for the big line that says unallocated and then right click it, cant create a partition / path, dont change the size unless you want 2 or more partitions on the drive

Yes they'll work absolutely fine together. Get the SSD first if you can then you can install the OS to that drive for the real performance gains.

Btw I love your profile picture. Skinny Puppy rule! :D

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

just plug it in and it will work fine. maybe you'll just need to create a new partition, but it rarely happens

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

~snip~

You should be able to easily add a HDD down the road by simply turning off your system, adding the drive in there and plugging the SATA and Power cables and turning the system back on. The drive should appear in Disk Management and you should only Initialize, partition and format it and then assign a drive letter to it and you should be all set.

Make sure that the SSD is on top of your boot order in BIOS so the computer doesn't have problems with it.

I'd also recommend having a smaller SSD and a HDD now rather then adding a HDD down the road, but that's entirely up to your preference. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

21 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the replies.  So would it be best to get a smaller drive for the Os itself and then a bigger hdd. Or what would be the benefits of a smaller ssd for the Os and a bigger one for games and files? 

Just now, Veelow said:

Thanks for the replies.  So would it be best to get a smaller drive for the Os itself and then a bigger hdd. Or what would be the benefits of a smaller ssd for the Os and a bigger one for games and files? 

there are not benifits to a smaller ssd other than that fact that it is cheaper. id say get the biggest ssd you can afford without braking the bank ofc, what most peolpe go is get a 60 - 250gb ssd and then get a larger like 2 or 3 tb drive for games and photos ect, id advise putting all your games there and all larger programs that you want to keep if you reinstall windows you will be able to just run your ptogams and games from there. 

~snip~

As @tsunoda suggested, the price would be the biggest factor here. Most usage types don't really benefit from running off a SSD and hat includes games (they only have shorter loading times while the FPS and graphics are not affected). 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I would caution against installing Windows with the 2nd HDD attached. I am not sure how Win 10 works but in Win 7 if additional HDD's were plugged in during an install, all drives would get setup (boot sector) with Windows. If you pull the 2nd drive out in the future, Windows stops to boot until you fix the issue using a Repair disc.

I suggest installing SSD only, install Windows, get that up and running, then add an HDD.

13 minutes ago, mealto said:

I would caution against installing Windows with the 2nd HDD attached. I am not sure how Win 10 works but in Win 7 if additional HDD's were plugged in during an install, all drives would get setup (boot sector) with Windows. If you pull the 2nd drive out in the future, Windows stops to boot until you fix the issue using a Repair disc.

I suggest installing SSD only, install Windows, get that up and running, then add an HDD.

Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Veelow said:

Thanks for the info!

No worries. Good luck!