Desk CAD design feedback thread

I've kind of gotten tired with searching for a decently priced desk that is just bare bones and simple. I took all of my frustration and put it into sketchup to come up with my ideal desk, but there's a problem. I've never done CAD work before. The most drafting experience I had was a class I half assed my way through in high school. That being said, if anyone with said experience could give me some tips that'd be great. Also I'm not even 100% sure it'll even stand up, so there's that. Included in this dropbox link are a sketchup file and what I'm guessing is a more open source 3D model of the desk. Let me know just how bad it is.

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
    16 Gig of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3000 Mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 Series 250GB for boot + WD 2TB Black
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

looks good to me, only suggestion I have is to add some L brackets on the inside to hold everything together better since plywood can split fairly easily when you put a screw into the edge. You'd probably need about 10 of them plus screws

Something like this: http://3.imimg.com/data3/XA/YH/MY-4121478/l-brackets-250x250.jpg

Edit: I'm not an expert BTW, but I do have experience in sketchup and building things out of wood

Just now, royalba94 said:

looks good to me, only suggestion I have it to add some L brackets on the inside to hold everything together better since plywood can split fairly easily when you put a screw into the edge. You'd probably need about 10 of them plus screws

Good point. I had plans for a few of those along the inside of the desk and in the corner I was going to use these brackets. I just wasn't sure how to represent that in the design. I'm worried about having to use a 1/2 inch wood screw though. Don't want it sticking out but I need it to be secure enough.

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

You don't want to use regular wood screws, L brackets are fine and good for beginners but what you really want to use is eccentric joints, maybe even in combination with dowel. They make for nice, strong and hidden joint, plus you can easy disassemble whole thing and move table somewhere but if you're not sure you can make precise holes then I would stick with something easier like euro screw that only requires special drill bit for it that you can get almost in any wood\hardware store

btw, Pro 100 is nice an easy tool to design your own furniture and if you put costs of materials etc. it can generate some nice reports with cost estimate, cutting templates and such but free version is little limited I believe

I like the desk. Similar to mine, simple utilitarian. I opted to buy something similar from Bush furniture which costs a few hundred $ on Amazon. 

Looks like you're using standard 4x8 3/4" plywood. I built my garage workbench with that, but with such large dimensions it's hard to get it cut very nicely unless you have access to a shop. Home depot has some limit to how small a piece they'll cut on their rail mounted circular saw. Also I've always hated the final steps of building anything ie the finishing/sealing of anything wood. Staining/poly coating... GRRR hate it. 

You may need some support under the top, the 3/4" is strong but I'd still put some support under it since it's 5" long, just to avoid any potential bowing. It's a big desk... and you'll end up putting stuff on it just cuz there's space to... at least I do lol.

On the cheap I'd probably use 2x4s instead of the metal brackets, and have the screws go through the top and countersink them and fill it a dowel and wood filler. I saw 8bit guy had some laminate sheets he put on top of his plywood desk to protect the wood and give the desk a finished look, and completely removes any aesthetic concerns of screws in the top surface.

Unless you like the wood grain, then you're in for some fun staining/coating. Sanded pine is kinda meh anyways, nothing really beautiful about it's grain.

If you live in an apartment you may wanna scale back for portability. I own a house so I generally don't build stuff to be disassembled regularly. Everyone has their own circumstance. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

33 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

*snip*

This is all great advice. I was planning on using some of the cabinet grade red oak plywood from the homeless despot and I can see where that much of an empty space could cause an issue. I had an alternate idea involving a desktop surface and pipe or tubing for the legs and support. I'm not sure how to make that work without access to a welder though. You mentioned you found a desk you liked online, would you have a link? If it's in the same style I might just buy it.

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

I wound't worry about flex that much, assuming size in the file is correct, my old pc desk is same design and almost same size as yours, it's 59x29" with height around 30" that I made myself out of 16mm laminated chipboard with top part being 32mm(two 16mm pieces glued together) http://i.imgur.com/tFgQgow.png Once upon a time It had dual 24" with tower on top and lots of other junk, it was stable enough and had slight flex only if I try pushing on it with all of my weight. I no longer use it as I have built better and bigger desk for my self, so it's just sitting in other room collecting dust.

If you're really worried about flex and stability, you can try pulling about 2" inside your sides or adding about 3" high front piece under the top but it will kinda ruin the look. If you have shops in your area that sell cut to fit laminated chipboard, go for it assuming price is not that different. In my local shop, If I buy wood from them, cut to size is free and for only small fee they offer stuff like gluing laminated tape to sides, so all I have to do is just drill some holes and put it together. If you go with plywood, you can dress it with vinyl wrap or get plexi sheets for 30$ and just go nuts with possibilities

btw, speaking of the tubes and alternative design, here is table design I built for my friend with him http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/U9Ouzb1c/file.html It's base made out of 50x50mm square steel tube, that was welded and powder coated in a metal shop and for the top part we just got pre-made kitchen top. With your size using something like 30x30 or 50x25 tube will be plenty and if you can't weld them use L and T shape tube connectors or good ol' bolts

6 hours ago, matt12046 said:

You mentioned you found a desk you liked online, would you have a link? If it's in the same style I might just buy it.

There are lots of them like this, just not under "computer desk". They are classed under manager desk or executive desk.

https://www.amazon.com/BUSH-BUSINESS-FURNITURE-Managers-Desk/dp/B00006RSQG

or 

https://www.amazon.com/BUSH-BUSINESS-FURNITURE-C-Credenza

I also got the extra side table, making it an L desk.

https://www.amazon.com/BUSH-BUSINESS-FURNITURE-Return-Bridge/dp/B00006RSQA

And the cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/BUSH-BUSINESS-FURNITURE-30-inch-Storage/dp/B000W8JM4K/

And the drawers that mount under the desk to the top and the side.

https://www.amazon.com/BUSH-BUSINESS-FURNITURE-PEDESTAL-SU/dp/B000W8OVDW

I also ended up buying everything rather than building it because this was back when I first bought my house and I didn't own any power tools yet. Had lots of computer stuff an no place to put it all and needed solutions fast. 

Nowa days I have more time and... a table saw, miter saw, 18v drill, zig saw, electric sander... golly... what to get next? Really need a router, and a dremel and/or rotary tool... it's endless.

If I could start over, I'd have bought all the tools up front, built my garage work bench first and then used that to build out the rest.

These however are much more disassemblable since they use the joints shiftyfella mentioned. 

3 hours ago, ShiftyFella said:

I wound't worry about flex that much, assuming size in the file is correct, my old pc desk is same design and almost same size as yours, it's 59x29"

Yeah I agree probably won't need any extra support. I just tend to overbuild things. The top will actually already have some additional support from the back panel.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Oh yeah, my link is to the size I got, but in my searches 3 years ago, I did see varying sizes. You will also be able to find 60" versions. I've had the bow fronted ones too, which I liked a lot, but they're not for putting up against a wall. The bow front usually face the door or seats where your clients sit. 

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Oh yeah, my link is to the size I got, but in my searches 3 years ago, I did see varying sizes. You will also be able to find 60" versions. I've had the bow fronted ones too, which I liked a lot, but they're not for putting up against a wall. The bow front usually face the door or seats where your clients sit. 

I think that the bow one would look alright if I were doing a corner deal and had it facing the rest of the room. But unfortunately, I'm lacking the space for it. The first link in that post would fit perfectly for what I need and only an extra $40 over what I was going to spend on raw materials. 

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage