New modem?

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
11 hours ago, MadRussian42 said:

I was wondering if buying a new modem to replace the one I am currently using (which is from 2002) would speed up my internet connection. I have a new linksys router, and feel like it could be performing better. Would replacing the old modem help? Thanks for your time.

-MadRussian42

Depending on what kinda of internet you have. For example I have cable internet. With Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 comes channel bonding. Basically the modem I have is a 8x4. I have 8 down stream channels and 4 upstream. Well at least thats what the modem supports. The higher the number of channels the faster you can technically get. Theoretically I can get over 300 Mbps down and 122 Mbps up. Comcast only gives us 75 down and 10 up. On top of that I only get 3 up stream channels. It also depends for what speeds you pay for. So if you have an old modem such as a Docsis 2.0 modem, it may be causing slower speeds and might not be able to perform at the speeds you are paying for. 

I was wondering if buying a new modem to replace the one I am currently using (which is from 2002) would speed up my internet connection. I have a new linksys router, and feel like it could be performing better. Would replacing the old modem help? Thanks for your time.

-MadRussian42

That depends entirely on your internet connection, the modem being replace and the modem it was replaced with. For the majority of cases, internet speeds are limited by the connection to the ISP, rather than the hardware on the consumer's end. 

Consult your ISP. Are you currently getting the speed that you are paying for? if so, replacing your modem wont do anything. If not, give your isp a call and see what they say.

When in doubt, re-format.

A newer modem might help with latency (marginally? I think you can ping a web server to test this), but like others have said your old modem shouldn't be a bottleneck for your upload/download speed (unless you have a gigabit internet connection...). However, if you're having unexplained network errors, the modem could be the culprit (connection dropping randomly, etc.).

11 hours ago, MadRussian42 said:

-MadRussian42

Depending on what kinda of internet you have. For example I have cable internet. With Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 comes channel bonding. Basically the modem I have is a 8x4. I have 8 down stream channels and 4 upstream. Well at least thats what the modem supports. The higher the number of channels the faster you can technically get. Theoretically I can get over 300 Mbps down and 122 Mbps up. Comcast only gives us 75 down and 10 up. On top of that I only get 3 up stream channels. It also depends for what speeds you pay for. So if you have an old modem such as a Docsis 2.0 modem, it may be causing slower speeds and might not be able to perform at the speeds you are paying for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.