So i decided to go with the pc dvr route to save $20+ a month and get rid of  2 other boxes and also go the htpc route. Right now im using a clear qam usb tuner i had laying around till my hdhomerun prime arives from new egg, and have a chance to either create a service call which i get paid for or go the walkin center and pick up a cable card and tuning adapter(which would most likely be easier) so i can to stream tv via pc/xbox. So my main question is other than maybe hard drives which are cheap enough to replace will the multiple wake sleep recording cycles f*** up my mother board/cpu. Right now it only goes on/off maybe 2 times some times 3 a day and its in sleep mode the other 20-22hrs minus the time i use it to watch the recorded programs. It will be used more often for steam box when it comes out ,and windows steam/origin games when i move it to a  new(xmas/Black friday) tv with working hdmi port(damn puppy behind the rear projection tv). So far the setup is works perfectly and has a great hd picture. It turns on 5 min early and  starts recording then stops recording 5 min after the show ends then with in about 5 min it goes back to sleep. only issue i had was it stopped going back to sleep mode when i tried to add a xbox extender but its been fine since i deleted  it. other than seting up the recording schedule and install usb tuner driver I only had to change one setting in advanced power options that i found in a htpc setup guide.

my home theater pc parts that play all my games realy well on my dual 22in monitors so i have no intention of upgrading it yet.

maximus ii formula. bought new 5 yrs ago

intel q9650 3.0ghz bought used 3 months ago(upgraded from a core2quad 2.13 ghz.    sometimes(rarely neded) o.c using asus level up.

os2 warp/windows3.11 just kidding windows 7 pro full retail.(still have a copy of 3.11 dont know if they work as there in a case lifting the kenect a few inches higher and god knows what happened to my os2 warp cd. and yes i had os2 warp dont ask i thought it was cool at the time)

240gig kingston ssd bought new 4 months ago for the os.

1t wd green bought new last month

6gb of random named ram(i bought it 5 yrs ago when i wasnt as serious of a biulder  and thought  if it turns on it was good to go

asus 7870hd bought new 5 months ago

700 wat powersuply bought new 5 months ago for the new video card

3 120mm fans which i may reduce to 1 or 2 5 yrs old

lg dvd burner(blu ray comming soon(i hope) 2 months old

antec veris multimedia station premier dual bay lcd display 2 months old

and some $20 thermal take mid tower