Linux vs Windows? Which Linux? For FPS (Gaming)

Hi, I am on a tight budget on my new pc and I would love an OS to be as cheap as possible.

Always used Windows but since Linux is free I wanted to know if I should give it a try with my new build.

Also, if you know a little lotta bit about Linux's OS... Which kind would you recommend for gaming and regular use?

Do I need to be a coder to use Linux? Or is it free and easy?

hi

You could try and us steam os or just base linux or a oem of windows

My System now I5 4670k ,H100i, Z87X-D3H, 8GB of Black Muramba, 7970 Sapphire with backplate , Thermaltake chaser A31 black with blue accents ,AX 760 With Blue Cabels, Samsung 840 120gb SSD ,1TB Black ,256 Ultra Plus SanDisk

Linux is terrible for gaming right now.

Actually by looking at benchmarcks Linux won most of the time.

hi

You could try and us steam os or just base linux or a oem of windows

Steam OS? what do you mean by that? Is it free?

hi

Link me, there are not many games on Linux so I would strongly suggest you don't use it.

Link me, there are not many games on Linux so I would strongly suggest you don't use it.

I'm on a very very tight budget on a PC, any cheap OS's you know of maybe? ty

hi

I'm on a very very tight budget on a PC, any cheap OS's you know of maybe? ty

There are no good OSes for gaming except for Windows.

Will it be able to play other games then steam games? like BF3 or League of legends? You know how long it could take until it could be available? 

It will only be able to play Steam games that support Linux. BF3 and LoL aren't available on Linux

The built in Mario Kart rip off on drugs known as Tux racing or whatever kept crashing..and that was a weird basic Linux game. Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah, it's not about which OS can play them better, it's about the fact that most games don't work on Linux at all for the moment. That's set to change, but it's going to take a few years at least.

Yeah, it's not about which OS can play them better, it's about the fact that most games don't work on Linux at all for the moment. That's set to change, but it's going to take a few years at least.

I will mainly play League Of Legends? so if it doesn't support it, i cant play it at all?

hi

Linux gaming performance is not to jump to conclusion.

Keep in mind that the Windows version of the game was develop like any other game. For Linux version, they took the already coded game, where everything is done, no strict deadline to follow, as a game delay might push the game on some other big AAA game, and could get a sales hit, and just focus on optimization like crazy for months and working with Nvidia to get the best possible performance. So you can't jump to conclusion. What you are probably seeing is "best case scenario", and won't reflect performance you'll get with simultaneous Linux/Windows game release of coming up large scale games.. if ever any.

he means that right now they're is not much games that support linux

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

he means that right now they're is not much games that support linux

If a game is not supported on Linux, that means I can't play that game at all?

hi

Not a chance. For Linux trying to run Windows. Is like you trying to understand a set of instructions in a foreign language which you nothing about. They may be both based on Latin (CPU architecture), such as French or Italian, but you don't understand exactly what it means. Of course, same is true on reverse. That is why Linux based programs can't run on Windows.

The only way is using a emulation or simulation method. Linux has some options, such as Wine for Windows based programs, but for games, due to their complex nature, don't get your hopes up for it to work. Usually only really old games will run, and even then.

You could try through wine or even a VM but it's jumping through a lot of hoops that may not even work

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

Linux is a lightweight OS for media/server/light usage. Ex: CentOS for your servers.

Requires a little bit of compute knowledge.

Windows is more user friendly and supports more programs and games.

Windows is still the best OS for gamers right now. Based on my experienced playing Dota 2 and some indie games in Linux, they are not that optimized yet.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |