GTX 660ti SLI - What ports do I use for my monitors?

Dizorb
Go to solution Solved by FluffyNuggets,

Unfortunately, that answer doesnt cover the initial question. What I mean is...

If I run two 660ti's in SLI, does it matter that only one port on each is DVI-D when I am using two monitors? HDMI may be a feasible solution instead of using the DVI-whichever it is on the first card'

If you're using multiple monitors then just use DVI-D on one and HDMI on the other.

Hello all!

I have recently acquired a second ASUS DirectCU II OC 660ti, which I plan on running in SLI with my first one. I haven't run two cards in SLI before.

This is more me asking a couple of questions as to how to set the thing up.

I have two monitors that I currently use with DVI cables on my current 660ti. When I have the second installed, which ports on the 660ti(s) will I need to use, or will they be alright plugged in to the DVI ports on the first card?

Also - how difficult is it to organise the drivers to work with SLI? 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

(Just an FYI, please don't suggest swapping for a single-card solution... Such suggestions should and will be ignored.)

Current gaming rig: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz (blue), Corsair AX760i, Corsair Graphite 600T, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry Mesh, WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Current gaming laptop: Scan 3XS Graphite LG175, i7 4700QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHZ, Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, WD Scorpio Black 500gb.

Ports on the first card.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

As everyone said, ports on the master card.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Yup first card. 

One thing to notice is that if you have SLI enabled, you can't plug a third monitor in to extend your desktop. It's just not supported (Not talking about surround here).

Does it matter that one of the dvi ports on the card is dvi-d and one isn't?

Current gaming rig: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz (blue), Corsair AX760i, Corsair Graphite 600T, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry Mesh, WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Current gaming laptop: Scan 3XS Graphite LG175, i7 4700QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHZ, Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, WD Scorpio Black 500gb.

Does it matter that one of the dvi ports on the card is dvi-d and one isn't?

Use the DVI-D port because that has higher bandwidth.

If I run two 660ti's in SLI, does it matter that only one port on each is DVI-D when I am using two monitors? HDMI may be a feasible solution instead of using the DVI-whichever it is on the first card'

If you're using multiple monitors then just use DVI-D on one and HDMI on the other.

I would recommend the first card. I am not positive but DVI-D is better than HDMI. So use DVI-D on your main monitor.