Started Folding for LTT

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

Welcome to the team!

I have folding in various VM solution including Hyper-V and Sun VirtualBox. The only reason to do this, if you have a very large system running various VM's already. But, depending on the VM solution, you only get access to virtual cores and such, so performance can tank a bit. If you are thinking just running multiple VM's all folding, then no, that doesn't work, from a performance perspective. Just fold on the entire unit. Either Windows, if also doing GPU, or ubuntu...

What is the situation and perhaps I can help more. 

So just switched teams to LinusTechTips, My old team kinda died out so I decided to switch to an active team. Should be hopefully bringing in at least 100K ppd if I get good WU's. Really starting to get into folding again, I see a 4p rig in my future :)

I am currently folding 24/7 with the following specs:

• i7-3930k @5GHZ
  • EVGA GTX680 ftw+ 4GB
  • Asus R4E
  • running on windows server 2012 datacenter.

Quick question, has anyone experimented folding on VM's? it would allow you to run multiple instances at once but would any benefits be seen considering the performance hit of running multiple OS's

anyway glad to be part of the team,

~ASFfergie

Welcome to the LTT Folding Team! 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Welcome to the Fold!

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Welcome to the LTT Team!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Welcome to the team!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Welcome to the team!

I have folding in various VM solution including Hyper-V and Sun VirtualBox. The only reason to do this, if you have a very large system running various VM's already. But, depending on the VM solution, you only get access to virtual cores and such, so performance can tank a bit. If you are thinking just running multiple VM's all folding, then no, that doesn't work, from a performance perspective. Just fold on the entire unit. Either Windows, if also doing GPU, or ubuntu...

What is the situation and perhaps I can help more. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99