MAC address question

SillyKitty
Go to solution Solved by RedWulf,
23 minutes ago, SillyKitty said:

A VPN client. I'm running an automated marketing campaign on both computers, but just want to make sure that it can't be tracked as coming from the same location / IP. 

I think there may be a misunderstanding in a MAC address vs network addresses

MAC >< IP

IP is your network/web address and mac is the hardware ID...basically

The mac will not tell you geolocation and at the ends the macs will be different. The IP will be the same unless they route to different VPNs. Either way the MACs will be different unless your vpn, router, software,etc emulates or spoofs them. 

I have 2 different computers at home that are running off of the same router/modem. Will the computers have the same MAC address? 

No.  No two Ethernet interfaces should ever have the same MAC address.  Ever.  There's actually an IEEE committee or something that assigns blocks of MAC addresses to Ethernet hardware manufacturers so this doesn't happen. 

No, that will not happen.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

No.  No two Ethernet interfaces should ever have the same MAC address.  Ever.  There's actually an IEEE committee or something that assigns blocks of MAC addresses to Ethernet hardware manufacturers so this doesn't happen. 

Great, so technically if I'm running a VPN on the second computer, both computers should be viewed as separate entities right and not 2 computers running from the same IP?

3 minutes ago, SillyKitty said:

Great, so technically if I'm running a VPN on the second computer, both computers should be viewed as separate entities right and not 2 computers running from the same IP?

VPN client or VPN server? 

VPNs generally work at the IP layer, not emulation of physical hardware. 

13 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

VPN client or VPN server? 

VPNs generally work at the IP layer, not emulation of physical hardware. 

A VPN client. I'm running an automated marketing campaign on both computers, but just want to make sure that it can't be tracked as coming from the same location / IP. 

23 minutes ago, SillyKitty said:

I think there may be a misunderstanding in a MAC address vs network addresses

MAC >< IP

IP is your network/web address and mac is the hardware ID...basically

The mac will not tell you geolocation and at the ends the macs will be different. The IP will be the same unless they route to different VPNs. Either way the MACs will be different unless your vpn, router, software,etc emulates or spoofs them. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]