FTP server

hammad1029
Go to solution Solved by AdmnPower,

That's a really good question, the issue is is that there isn't going to be much as far as getting things off of your phone without starting up an FTP server. You're wanting like a fully meshed setup where you can see all the files on all of your devices from one place if I'm understanding correctly. I'm honestly not too sure how you'd go about making that happen. It would be fairly straight forward if we were talking only about computers but the phone makes it a lot more difficult. 

first of all, im really sorry if this is in the wrong forum. i couldn't differentiate between this one and the nas one.

so to transfer files from my android to my pc and viceversa, i use ftp. i use 2 ftp methods:

1. running the ftp server straight from my phone(through es file explorer i might add) and using the built in windows ftp client or sometimes the filezilla client. this option gives me the freedom to manage files straight from my pc with a big and clean screen which is also much more efficient but then i have to turn on my ftp server everytime from my phone when i have to use it(which defeats the purpose of having to use this method cuz i dont want to touch my mobile for things like these) or if i leave it running, it would drain my battery like crazy not to mention also slow down my phone

2. the second method i use is that i run the server straight from my pc using the filezilla server software but then to manage files ill have to connect to it through my mobile and manage the files from there, the advantage here is that i can transfer files using my mobile(es file explorer's ftp client)when ever i want to, like when im away from the pc and dont want to leave the comfort of the couch. but the disadvantage here is that even tho when i am on my pc ill have to use my mobile

so what i want is to run the server off the pc and tranfer files back and forth directly from it while having the option to manage files from my phone when i am away from the pc.

There is of course 99.99% chance that i am missing something obvious in the world of file transfering but still guide me please and im really sorry if wasted ur time(i had to write such a big post otherwise i wouldnt be able to explain the problem)

I'm not sure that you're going to be able to do what you want with FTP. The issue you're running into is that you can only access the files on the device that is running the "server" application. So to access your phone with your computer via FTP you have to have the "server" running on your phone. To access the files on your pc from your phone you have to have the "server" running on your pc. It's about which device is hosting it's files for incoming connections via FTP. The reason you can see both file systems but can't manage them the way you want is because FTP gives you access to your local file system in order to send and receive files from the host server. 

I realize that my explication is about as clear as mud but hopefully it will help you understand what's going on a little bit better. 

8 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

I'm not sure that you're going to be able to do what you want with FTP. The issue you're running into is that you can only access the files on the device that is running the "server" application. So to access your phone with your computer via FTP you have to have the "server" running on your phone. To access the files on your pc from your phone you have to have the "server" running on your pc. It's about which device is hosting it's files for incoming connections via FTP. The reason you can see both file systems but can't manage them the way you want is because FTP gives you access to your local file system in order to send and receive files from the host server. 

I realize that my explication is about as clear as mud but hopefully it will help you understand what's going on a little bit better. 

thanks alot! but i have a question that is it possible for my phone to be connected to ftp server at all times?

Usually FTP servers are configured with idle time outs, especially ones that are hosted on web servers out on the internet. You could probably configure yours with a super long time out but you'll probably get disconnected if there is any minor connection interruption and then you'll have to manually reconnect. 

2 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

Usually FTP servers are configured with idle time outs, especially ones that are hosted on web servers out on the internet. You could probably configure yours with a super long time out but you'll probably get disconnected if there is any minor connection interruption and then you'll have to manually reconnect. 

that is a valid solution! ill do that but before i mark this thread as solved, can i use the ftp client(filezilla) to connect to the (filezilla)server thats running from the SAME pc? 

You could, although I'm not sure exactly what the point of that would be other than for testing purposes to check if you have your time out settings how you want them. You'd want to put the server address in as 127.0.0.1 in order to get it to loop back to itself though probably. 

That address will only work on the same machine to the same machine as it's the standard IP address uses on any machine to loop it back to itself. 

You could, although I'm not sure exactly what the point of that would be other than for testing purposes to check if you have your time out settings how you want them. You'd want to put the server address in as 127.0.0.1 in order to get it to loop back to itself though probably. 

what im trying to do here is, im new to these things so please forgive me if this is a stupid idea, connect my phone and the ftp client on my pc both to the same server thats on the same pc as the ftp client, kinda like a network with host except that the client is gonna be on the some machine as the host server. that way THEORETICALLY ill have the option to transfer files back and forth with the pc and the phone assuming ftp servers have an option for multiple devices to connect to the server and communicate with each other rather than just have the option to communicate with the host pc only

Ah, I see what you mean, unfortunately FTP doesn't allow you to see other devices connected to the FTP server. So if you have the Host and say Client 1 and Client 2. With both Client 1 and Client 2 connected to the Host in order to get files from Client 1 to Client 2 you'd have to transfer the files say from Client 1 to Host then Client 2 would have to download the files Client 1 put on the Host. 

So you'd have to go through the Host in order to transfer files between the two clients as they can't see each other directly if that makes sense. 

Ah, I see what you mean, unfortunately FTP doesn't allow you to see other devices connected to the FTP server. So if you have the Host and say Client 1 and Client 2. With both Client 1 and Client 2 connected to the Host in order to get files from Client 1 to Client 2 you'd have to transfer the files say from Client 1 to Host then Client 2 would have to download the files Client 1 put on the Host. 

So you'd have to go through the Host in order to transfer files between the two clients as they can't see each other directly if that makes sense. 

oh i see now. Thanks! can u please suggest a way i can do what i am wanting to do?

That's a really good question, the issue is is that there isn't going to be much as far as getting things off of your phone without starting up an FTP server. You're wanting like a fully meshed setup where you can see all the files on all of your devices from one place if I'm understanding correctly. I'm honestly not too sure how you'd go about making that happen. It would be fairly straight forward if we were talking only about computers but the phone makes it a lot more difficult.