Quick router question.

Carlos1010
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

so.. you're understanding this wrong.

your modem's download speed isnt "20Mbps" in the example. in most cases your modem "can" do much, much faster, the ISP just limits you to what's written on the "box" of your internet package, because either you didnt get the top tier plan, or because of limitations on their network. (cant give evryone gigabit if there's only a 20Gbps pipe running to an entire town)

what it comes down to is, if the ISP gave you two modems off a single data plan, chances are they'll be sharing the single 20Mbps speed. however, if both modems are on seperate data plans, they should theoreticly both be allowed the entire 20Mbps listed on the "box".

Hi everyone and I just have a quick question about networking. So let's say that you have a modem with a router in it and the modem's download speed is 20Mb/s. Then you have another router elsewhere in the house for someone else. Does the two router share the bandwidth of the modem or does every one has it's own power and capacity? Also is there a way to manage the amount of download speed a router can have?

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

If by modems speed you mean your internet speed they split it.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

2 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

If by modems speed you mean your internet speed they split it.

When they split it without the setting do they both equally get the same download speed? Also can you control by the setting on how fast the download speed can be for both of them? Ex. One 15Mb/s and the other 45Mb/s?

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

so.. you're understanding this wrong.

your modem's download speed isnt "20Mbps" in the example. in most cases your modem "can" do much, much faster, the ISP just limits you to what's written on the "box" of your internet package, because either you didnt get the top tier plan, or because of limitations on their network. (cant give evryone gigabit if there's only a 20Gbps pipe running to an entire town)

what it comes down to is, if the ISP gave you two modems off a single data plan, chances are they'll be sharing the single 20Mbps speed. however, if both modems are on seperate data plans, they should theoreticly both be allowed the entire 20Mbps listed on the "box".