First PC build. Any advice?

Mr_D4

As the title says, I'm planning to build my first gaming PC and I'd like make sure that the parts I picked give me the best bang for the buck. Those are my parts right now: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLh29W

Considering my max budget (os and monitor included) is $1000 CAD, is this something that will last me at least a few years? Also, I don't know too much about PC's so feel free to tell me if some of my choices don't make sense.

You could get a rx 480 which is higher performace and costs less than the 380x. Other than that it looks good!

4 minutes ago, Mr_Mud_Man said:

You could get a rx 480 which is higher performace and costs less than the 380x. Other than that it looks good!

Totally agree, although, would that bode well with his CPU? Because if it works, it would totally save room for an SSD

Build: CPU: i5 4690k; Mobo: msi Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X Case: LSP ULTRA ETorque mid-tower ATX PSU: LSP ULTRA 650w SSD: Crucial BX200 240gb HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb RAM: EVGA SuperSC 16 gigs DDR3 (two 8 gig sticks)

so the cpu... dual core with hyperthreading isnt enough, probably i5 skylake will be great and if it will be gaming pc you need to buy an nvidia card like the upcoming 1060 (its not a fanboy thing), they are optimized for most of the games (depends what games you want to play) but if you think more the rx 480 is more bang for the buck and thats what you want so go with that!

so 8 gb ram is good for now, you can upgrade later with 16 gb or more. You can save some money from the case and the motherboard i mean it has onboard graphics this is usseles and adds cost... get a micro-atx motherboard pick a nice micro-atx case for less money aaand... i feel sorry for the other people... because in my country internet security is so bad that i downloaded (you can download everything you want without someone bothering you "pirately") windows 10 and activator called kmspico aand yeah everything is fine :D...  and for the motherboard pick one with 4 ram slots so you can add more if you want! ask me questions i will be on the site for 30 min more or so...

BTW! the other stuff you picked are great but with intel cpu and 150w tdp rx 480 you can lower the cost with the power supply...

Edited by Deny_SL

12 minutes ago, Mr_Mud_Man said:

That's good to hear! I'm relieved to know my build makes some sense. Though right now, in Canada at least, the RX 480 is sold out pretty much everywhere it's sold for a good price, so that means I'll have to wait a bit to buy it.

10 minutes ago, kappakali said:

Totally agree, although, would that bode well with his CPU? Because if it works, it would totally save room for an SSD

Although I said that my max budget was $1000, if I really, really have to get an i5, I'm fine with that too.

9 minutes ago, kappakali said:

In most games I think you would be fine, some very demanding games may cause a CPU bottleneck but im not 100% sure as I don't have a system with these parts. An SSD is an excellent idea, for $60 you can get a 120gb drive for your OS and some important files which will make your computer feel 100x faster.

you definitely need to get a quad-core processor. If you need to keep your budget in check try going with an AMD processor like the FX-8350 (which is actually an 8-core but you can get it for $160 on Newegg) which is still cheaper than your i3. Plus you will probably save a little bit on the motherboard as well. Which means you can get yourself a better CPU cooler to keep the AMD heat under check.

Intel i7-5820k OC'ed to 4.2GHz @1.225 V; w/ Corsair H110i GTX2x Asus Strix 980ti's; Asus Rampage V Extreme; 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistics GDDR4 RAM; EVGA 1000P2 psu

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8608142 boost clock of 1493MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jjar35/saved/#view=ghCWGX + 43" 4k Vizio M-Series TV

4 minutes ago, Deny_SL said:

so the cpu... dual core with hyperthreading isnt enough, probably i5 skylake will be great and if it will be gaming pc you need to buy an nvidia card like the upcoming 1060 (its not a fanboy thing), they are optimized for most of the games (depends what games you want to play) but if you think more the rx 480 is more bang for the buck and thats what you want so go with that!

so 8 gb ram is good for now, you can upgrade later with 16 gb or more. You can save some money from the case and the motherboard i mean it has onboard graphics this is usseles and adds cost... get a micro-atx motherboard pick a nice micro-atx case for less money aaand... i feel sorry for the other people... because in my country internet security is so bad that i downloaded (you can download everything you want without someone bothering you "pirately") windows 10 and activator called kmspico aand yeah everything is fine :D...  and for the motherboard pick one with 4 ram slots so you can add more if you want! ask me questions i will be on the site for 30 min more or so...

Thanks for the help! For the GPU, I was considering the 1060, but I don't know if it will be sold at an affordable price here in Canada. I will definitely get it if it's priced at around $320 or less. As for the motherboard and the case, I honestly don't really know which ones to pick. Do you have any ideas?

what brand do you want the case... like pretty clear like the one you picked or spaceship-like?

2 minutes ago, Deny_SL said:

what brand do you want the case... like pretty clear like the one you picked or spaceship-like?

The brand doesn't matter much to me as long as I can get a good, affordable one. And by pretty clear, do you mean the brand or the case's look (clean looking, with side window,etc).

Nah, I don't need to have a window. 

and do not listen to that guy i like amd but the vishera architecture is dying the zen will be more likely but its not released :D just stay with intel ;)