Using a router as a range extender

ChevbeeHD

Hi,  I am currently on virgin and have range issues (I am aware of range extenders)  but I have spare BT Hub 5  and would like to use it as a range extender / repeater...  Thing is I'm not sure how... If you know how this would work comment down below... All responses will be appreciated... 

Do you have an LAN-Cable running to the point where you want to place your extender? Your router will not behave like a repeater.

If you got an LAN-Cable, there will be nothing to stop you (Maybe Power might be an issue)

9 minutes ago, KaraBeNemsi said:

Do you have an LAN-Cable running to the point where you want to place your extender? Your router will not behave like a repeater.

If you got an LAN-Cable, there will be nothing to stop you (Maybe Power might be an issue)

Yea I have a home plug to plug ethernet into the router 

30 minutes ago, ChevbeeHD said:

Hi,  I am currently on virgin and have range issues (I am aware of range extenders)  but I have spare BT Hub 5  and would like to use it as a range extender / repeater...  Thing is I'm not sure how... If you know how this would work comment down below... All responses will be appreciated... 

All you need to do is:

1.) Connect an Ethernet cable between the BT/Virgin routers

2.) Set the BT hub to be on the same IP range as your Virgin media one. e.g. if Virgin is 192.168.0.1 then BT should be 192.168.0.50

3.) Disable DHCP on the BT hub, so the Virgin hub can handle all requests

This will essentially make the BT hub a 'wireless switch' (access point), basically forwarding anything that's connected to it, to the virgin router.

Almost as cool as my temps  

1 hour ago, Benergy said:

All you need to do is:

1.) Connect an Ethernet cable between the BT/Virgin routers

2.) Set the BT hub to be on the same IP range as your Virgin media one. e.g. if Virgin is 192.168.0.1 then BT should be 192.168.0.50

3.) Disable DHCP on the BT hub, so the Virgin hub can handle all requests

This will essentially make the BT hub a 'wireless switch' (access point), basically forwarding anything that's connected to it, to the virgin router.

Sweet... I'll try this out tonight with a short ethernet cable but would this work if I had the router plugged into a home plug? If not I'll buy a 20m cable

1 minute ago, ChevbeeHD said:

Sweet... I'll try this out tonight with a short ethernet cable but would this work if I had the router plugged into a home plug? If not I'll buy a 20m cable

By home plug do you mean a powerline adapter? That would also work.

Almost as cool as my temps  

2 hours ago, Benergy said:

By home plug do you mean a powerline adapter? That would also work.

Yea that's what I ment.  Thanks for the tutorial / steps btw gonna work On it now