USB Sim Dongles

_JohnB330ci

Hey there, so every other week I'm living with my dad, and he pays over £40 for BT internet (Which is only 3megabit/s down and 0.8megabit/s up) which I think is ridiculous, and plus, its only me that uses it, so I was looking at Dongles/Mifi and came across this three sim (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?aidset=1&tariff=213151200&id=1206) now the thing is, it states it will only allow me to use 30 GB as a personal hotspot, which just isn't enough, as I can easily get through that in a day, now my question is, if I was to buy a dongle like such: (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unlocked-Portable-Dongle-Genuine/dp/B011YZZ6Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468266590&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+Sim+dongle) would it classify as a hotspot or as direct usage? As with direct usage I'd get the full unlimited amount of data that the sim provides.

Thank you! :D

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

5 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Hey there, so every other week I'm living with my dad, and he pays over £40 for BT internet (Which is only 3megabit/s down and 0.8megabit/s up) which I think is ridiculous, and plus, its only me that uses it, so I was looking at Dongles/Mifi and came across this three sim (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?aidset=1&tariff=213151200&id=1206) now the thing is, it states it will only allow me to use 30 GB as a personal hotspot, which just isn't enough, as I can easily get through that in a day, now my question is, if I was to buy a dongle like such: (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unlocked-Portable-Dongle-Genuine/dp/B011YZZ6Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468266590&sr=8-1&keywords=USB+Sim+dongle) would it classify as a hotspot or as direct usage? As with direct usage I'd get the full unlimited amount of data that the sim provides.

Thank you! :D

I think that would classify as direct usage as it is a small router/ wireless access point because the sim reads it as a phone per say and then the dongle distributes that signal to what device you have connected. The only problem is that you may need a data only sim as they are usually what works with these types of dongles.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

2 minutes ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

I think that would classify as direct usage as it is a small router/ wireless access point because the sim reads it as a phone per say and then the dongle distributes that signal to what device you have connected. The only problem is that you may need a data only sim as they are usually what works with these types of dongles.

Okay this helps a bunch, the only thing is I can't find a all-you-can-eat data only sim, they're always bundled with something else :P

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

3 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Okay this helps a bunch, the only thing is I can't find a all-you-can-eat data only sim, they're always bundled with something else :P

Yeah that is the problem as they only come around very rarely and are max limited at about 25GB and you would be paying a humongous amount for it as well.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

12 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

-snip-

Why don't you just switch the ISP. From what I understand BT has it's OpenBT network which allows multiple ISPs over a signle line.

26 minutes ago, dzonidev said:

Why don't you just switch the ISP. From what I understand BT has it's OpenBT network which allows multiple ISPs over a signle line.

This is true, we can stay with BT's line rental for the phone while using another ISP, but then problem is, other companies bump up the line rental charges cause BT own most of the telephone and fibre lines within the UK, and it means getting into more length contracts and potentially high prices, which I don't really want to do.

On 7/12/2016 at 11:07 AM, SherifsDog22 said:

This is true, we can stay with BT's line rental for the phone while using another ISP, but then problem is, other companies bump up the line rental charges cause BT own most of the telephone and fibre lines within the UK, and it means getting into more length contracts and potentially high prices, which I don't really want to do.

Well you are also getting into a contract with 4G. Nobody is going to give you 100Gig prepaid internet... Look into plusnet, I heard mixed reviews about it, but the prices are much better than what you have now.

3 hours ago, dzonidev said:

Well you are also getting into a contract with 4G. Nobody is going to give you 100Gig prepaid internet... Look into plusnet, I heard mixed reviews about it, but the prices are much better than what you have now.

Its not 4G, its 3G.