Optical or laser mice?

Roboslash1

Which type is better?

I have a Razer deathadder 2013 right now, though I am considering to get a new one, probably the chroma version or the mamba tournament edition. However, there is one big difference between the two. One sports an optical sensor while the other one has a laser.

I have read that laser mice have more dpi, in this case the mamba can go to 16 000, but I tend to use my deathadder on 800 :/. The cursor moves way to fast after around 3500. They also track better, but in some posts I read that optical mice have seen large improvements that solved tracking issues on different surfaces and based on my own experience, my deathadder works nicely on a plethora of mouse pads and tables.

One thing I read about laser mice was in built acceleration. Is that still a problem to this date?

Thanks.

Desktop: Processor - Intel Core i7 5820K   Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3   RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2400MHz DDR4   GPU - Gigabyte GeForce 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB Case - Fractal Design R4 Window   Storage - x1 WD Green 1TB, x1 WD Green 2TB, x1 Samsung 850EVO 120GB, x1 Kingston SSDNow 120GB  PSU - Cooler Master B700 (700W)   Displays - x1 Dell E2214H, x2 Dell 1908FP-BLK   Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011  

Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Expert 2014   Mouse - Razer Deathaddder 2013   Speakers - Logitech Z906 5.1 OS - Windows 10 Pro   Headphones - Steelseries 9H, Sennheiser Momentum

They say optical is best for fps and laser is a good all rounder. 

The reason why optical is supposedly better for FPS is because if you move the mouse at different speeds but the same distance, your character will turn the same amount of  'screen space', no matter the speed. 

If you repeated this with a laser mouse then your fast mouse movement would make your character turn more than a slow bit of mouse movement, and people claim this makes you less accurate in games. I hope this makes sense, if not I'll rewrite it.

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

They say optical is best for fps and laser is a good all rounder. 

The reason why optical is supposedly better for FPS is because if you move the mouse at different speeds but the same distance, your character will turn the same amount of  'screen space', no matter the speed. 

If you repeated this with a laser mouse then your fast mouse movement would make your character turn more than a slow bit of mouse movement, and people claim this makes you less accurate in games. 

Yes, thats the mouse acceleration I was wondering about. Is this a problem with laser mice that has to be adressed, or is it just simply caused by the way the sensor works?

Desktop: Processor - Intel Core i7 5820K   Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3   RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2400MHz DDR4   GPU - Gigabyte GeForce 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB Case - Fractal Design R4 Window   Storage - x1 WD Green 1TB, x1 WD Green 2TB, x1 Samsung 850EVO 120GB, x1 Kingston SSDNow 120GB  PSU - Cooler Master B700 (700W)   Displays - x1 Dell E2214H, x2 Dell 1908FP-BLK   Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011  

Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Expert 2014   Mouse - Razer Deathaddder 2013   Speakers - Logitech Z906 5.1 OS - Windows 10 Pro   Headphones - Steelseries 9H, Sennheiser Momentum

1 minute ago, Roboslash1 said:

Yes, thats the mouse acceleration I was wondering about. Is this a problem with laser mice that has to be adressed, or is it just simply caused by the way the sensor works?

It has been a while since I looked, but I believed it is a hardware limitation that can be combatted with software, although don't quote me on this, as I said it's been a while so I chance to be wrong here. Hopefully someone who has looked it up more recently can speak up and tell me if i'm right / wrong.

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

It has been a while since I looked, but I believed it is a hardware limitation that can be combatted with software, although don't quote me on this, as I said it's been a while so I chance to be wrong here. Hopefully someone who has looked it up more recently can speak up and tell me if i'm right / wrong.

Alright. Thanks for your answer, it will be enough for me to stick with optical mice for now :)