R9 380X Overclocking

TheOnlyNexus
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

it would probably be cheaper to get a better more expensive card than water cool a 380X

you can push it further

there is no way to damage modern cards with stock BIOS

so go ham

Hey guys, 

is there any way to get some more power out of my graphics card (Sapphire R9 380X)? Maybe watercooling? 

OC:

Chip: 1086 Mhz

Memory: 1500 Mhz

Can I go further without damaging the graphics card?

Thanks in advance

it would probably be cheaper to get a better more expensive card than water cool a 380X

you can push it further

there is no way to damage modern cards with stock BIOS

so go ham

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

When playing Dying Light MSI Afterburner shows, that my card is using around 5GB of VRAM. How is that even possible if the R9 380X only has got 4GB?

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

When playing Dying Light MSI Afterburner shows, that my card is using around 5GB of VRAM. How is that even possible if the R9 380X only has got 4GB?

It shows 5GB of VRAM but it limits it to 4GB so it would be playable

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Perhaps you just have a "bad" card. My 280x is a decent overclocker, and I have been able to push it's core speed to 1147MHz and the memory speed to 1700MHz at stock voltage.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

is there any way to get some more power out of my graphics card (Sapphire R9 380X)? Maybe watercooling?

Sell it and, with the money you'd spend on WCing the card, buy a more powerful GPU. That's your best bet.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

OC:

Chip: 1086 Mhz

Memory: 1500 Mhz

Can I go further without damaging the graphics card?

I don't know. In fact, no one does. There's only one person capable of answering that question for you: yourself. Go, open MSI Afterburner and:

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just overclocked my graphics card a little bit further.

Unbenannt.png

FYI (I'm from Austria, therefore it's written in German).

My GPU utilization is fluctuating and drop, drop, dropping (AMD reference) a lot. Is this a common thing with Rafeon card, as a friend of mine got kind of the same problem?

21 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Just overclocked my graphics card a little bit further.

Unbenannt.png

FYI (I'm from Austria, therefore it's written in German).

My GPU utilization is fluctuating and drop, drop, dropping (AMD reference) a lot. Is this a common thing with Rafeon card, as a friend of mine got kind of the same problem?

In heaven / valley? Yeah, that's 100% normal.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

In heaven / valley? Yeah, that's 100% normal.

Actually only in MSI Kombustor. I'm glad to hear, that everything's fine, thanks

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Actually only in MSI Kombustor. I'm glad to hear, that everything's fine, thanks

Kombustor sucks... just leave it alone, please.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Kombustor sucks... just leave it alone, please.

Ok:D