How do you add more dedicated video memory?

Diablo478

Is there any possible way to add more dedicated video memory I have a  ASUS Radeon HD 7770 HD7770‑2GD5 Graphics Card ‑ 2 GB ,  MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard , CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9 Or do i have to just buy A whole new graphics card? please help

1 minute ago, Diablo478 said:

Is there any possible way to add more dedicated video memory I have a  ASUS Radeon HD 7770 HD7770‑2GD5 Graphics Card ‑ 2 GB ,  MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard , CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4A1866C9 Or do i have to just buy A whole new graphics card? please help

If what I think you mean is what you mean, then yes buying a new graphics card is the only way to get more video memory.

average fl studio fan vs average cubase enjoyer

rubber dome apologist

if you are reading this you are contracted the gae

As far as I know, video cards from this century no longer allow you to add more memory directly to the card.  They're made with a certain amount right on the PCB and there's no way to change or expand that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There is not way to add more VRAM

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As far as I know, video cards from this century no longer allow you to add more memory directly to the card.  They're made with a certain amount right on the PCB and there's no way to change or expand that.

So your saying that cards from that age cant add more vram? but todays can?

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Damn oh okay, Thanks guys for the help

2 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

So your saying that cards from that age cant add more vram? but todays can?

No, the other way around.  Re-read it ;) 

There was a time when cards would come with slots just like your motherboard's RAM slots where you could add more

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, the other way around.  Re-read it ;) 

There was a time when cards would come with slots just like your motherboard's RAM slots where you could add more

i beg you,send me JUST ONE picture of that card since i never heard of that kind of card...!

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Their is no way to go into the BIOS and change anything? Oh and everytime i try to make my Corsair ramsticks go to 1866mhz they computer stops working take the battery out of the motherboard to reset it :( is there a big difference between 1333mhz and 1866mhz in performance for gaming such a game like ark?

Idk but i think yes,Ark is a VERY VERY VERY bad optimised game and has a large map so 1333MHz to 1866MHz should make a difference

1 minute ago, Diablo478 said:

Their is no way to go into the BIOS and change anything? Oh and everytime i try to make my Corsair ramsticks go to 1866mhz they computer stops working take the battery out of the motherboard to reset it :( is there a big difference between 1333mhz and 1866mhz in performance for gaming such a game like ark?

This isn't something that can be changed in the BIOS.  It's a physical thing.  You either have the memory chips on your card or you don't.

3 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

i beg you,send me JUST ONE picture of that card since i never heard of that kind of card...!

I'll find one ;)

8 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Here you go: and it was even from LTT too! :D

On 2/9/2014 at 10:34 AM, Cwazywazy said:

I think we have something like this somewhere in our basement:

Matrox_Millennium_G200.jpg

Here you go: and it was even from LTT too! :D

Where is the ram slot or is it already occupied?

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Where is the ram slot or is it already occupied?

That white thing on the right.  It's kind of hard to see but it looks to be free.  The stuff that you see in that area is right on the board, under where a new stick would slide in, if I'm not mistaken.  This stuff was a little before my time so I don't recognize this all off-hand, but I know it existed.

That white thing on the right.  It's kind of hard to see but it looks to be free.  The stuff that you see in that area is right on the board, under where a new stick would slide in, if I'm not mistaken.  This stuff was a little before my time so I don't recognize this all off-hand, but I know it existed.

I have one of those... Good times. Putting more memory even though it couldn't even use it...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oooh so its not a vram slot its kinda like a vram slot slider...informative thank you...! :)

Oooh so its not a vram slot its kinda like a vram slot slider...informative thank you...! :)

It looks to me like it slides in like a SO-DIMM would (laptop RAM)

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I have one of those... Good times. Putting more memory even though it couldn't even use it...

well there you go ^ I wasn't just making this all up after all! :P 

No. You insert the stick at an angle and then lay it into the clips like on modern laptops.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

No. You insert the stick at an angle and then lay it into the clips like on modern laptops.

so its a vertical vram slot

It looks to me like it slides in like a SO-DIMM would (laptop RAM)

well there you go ^ I wasn't just making this all up after all! :P 

Exactly like a SO-DIMM. And if you do have one, make sure it works and if it does try to sell it. Some auctioneer wanted it for like ~100. It cost like 20 when I had it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

so its a vertical vram slot

I think the max it could take was 40MB or something. Of course it struggled even with the least amount of memory.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Exactly like a SO-DIMM. And if you do have one, make sure it works and if it does try to sell it. Some auctioneer wanted it for like ~100. It cost like 20 when I had it.

Nah I don't think we have anything that old anymore 

I wish this was still a thing, it'd be a nice feature.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I wish this was still a thing, it'd be a nice feature.

well we wouldn't need it if companies would just add enough to begin with.  It literally costs them like $10 to add a couple extra GB

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well we wouldn't need it if companies would just add enough to begin with.  It literally costs them like $10 to add a couple extra GB

Futureproofness? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think AMD is putting enough VRAM on their cards, NVidia is kind of hit or miss (GTX 970 3.5GB)

/s

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402