FX-8300 or FX-8350?

Hi all, new to these forums, and planning my first build.

So, should I get and AMD FX-8350 (4ghz stock) for 220$ or an FX-8300 (3.3ghz stock) and attempt to over clock it to the 8350's speed? if that's at all possible on a 212 evo. The FX-8300 is a full 60$ cheaper.

I plan on going with the Vishera line for the 8 cores, as I do lots of video and picture editing, 3d rendering etc. And I'm on a tight budget : )

6 minutes ago, RaketyTam said:

So, should I get and AMD FX-8350 (4ghz stock) for 220$ or an FX-8300 (3.3ghz stock) and attempt to over clock it to the 8350's speed? if that's at all possible on a 212 evo. The FX-8300 is a full 60$ cheaper.

I plan on going with the Vishera line for the 8 cores, as I do lots of video and picture editing, 3d rendering etc. And I'm on a tight budget : )

get an 8350. it has the same tdp as the 8300 so you probably wont be able to get a steady 4 ghz oc on the 8300

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

You can either get a FX 8300 and for the $60 a water cooler and try to OC it to 3.9-4.0GHz

Or you can get a FX 8350 with the stock cooler which is the worst of all stock coolers (unless you choose wraith edition)

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

i5 train incoming

But seriously, don't get an FX CPU, even for video editing. They may seem like a budget option, but after spending the money on a beefy cooler and a nice motherboard that can take the power draw they require, you'll already be spending enough to have a decent i5 platform. That and the 83xx is pretty much the end of that upgrade path, the only thing above it is the 9370 and 9590 which are just overclocked versions. Still suck at anything single-threaded.

and where do you live because the 8350 costs 150$ not 220$

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

4 minutes ago, RaketyTam said:

Pretty much every FX-8300 should be able to OC to 4GHz, it will just take more voltage. I'd get it over the 8350. You don't have to spend on an aftermarket cooler if you don't increase voltage on your CPU.

Also keep in mind FX CPUs aren't 8 full cores like other CPUs are. They only have 4 cores for floating point instructions (so we call them quad-module, because 1 module has 2 integer cores and one floating point unit), if you can afford and i5-6400 it will do better.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

20 minutes ago, DGB said:

get an 8350. it has the same tdp as the 8300 so you probably wont be able to get a steady 4 ghz oc on the 8300

I could be wrong but I don't think so................ the 8300 is 95watts ( that's why i purchased it ) and the 8350 is 125?

DO NOT get the 8300.

I would know...

vvv...check the specs...vvv

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Just wondering, what is the budget and location?  Also, an i5 isn't the best for video editing.  It's more of a gaming processor that can.  The FX chips are just gimped Opterons that can, but an i7 or e3 is a better option.  Then against that's probably out of your budget range.

I'm in canada, and trying to keep it below 800cad, (I already have a secondhand gigabyte windforce 290 for my GPU)

Just now, JoePro87 said:

DO NOT get the 8300.

I would know...

vvv...check the specs...vvv

OK thanks for the heads up! Why dont you like it, and what is it clocked at? And do you wish you would have got a higher end fx processor or went with Intel?

2 minutes ago, RaketyTam said:

OK thanks for the heads up! Why dont you like it, and what is it clocked at? And do you wish you would have got a higher end fx processor or went with Intel?

Although the clock speeds are high (I've had mine up to 4Ghz on stock cooler), the instructions per second count is SO low, it doesn't matter. Honestly, I'd should have gone with Intel for my CPU. I doubt I'll ever get anything but AMD GPUs, but I would NOT recommend the FX series CPUs to ANYONE.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

As an FX8350 user, I suggest going with an i5 processor. 

CPU: FX-8350  MOBO: Gigabyte 970-DS3P  GPU: Palit GTX 650ti Boost  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz  

AIO CPU: Coolermaster Seidon 120m   CASE: Coolermaster N300  PSU: Corsair VS550  HDD 1: 1TB WD Blue Caviar  HDD 2: 160GB WD 

i5>FX