Need anti-virus

Hey guys!

In World of Tanks, the game stutters/hangs like every 2 seconds. It's really annoying. Also I just installed WoT onto a new HDD (WD Blue 2TB)

I think it might be caused by a virus doing things on my pc.

Do I need to buy an anti-virus software (if yes, which works good?) or is Windows 10's Windows Defender good enough?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

AVG is another good one.  Don't forget to also get anti malware protection, I recommend Malwarebytes.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

You don't need to buy an antivirus software, but if you do, I recommend Vipre. I've been using it for a few years now and I like it very much. 

No matter what, like what @CostcoSamples said, you should also get anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes (which I also use).

EDIT: Vipre isn't as great as I thought it was originally. If you're visiting this thread in the future, Vipre has been having a lot of false positives recently.

Edited by akskl
change of opinion

And no, windows defender is not sufficient.  

Free antivirus/anti malware programs are generally pretty good (stay away from Norton).  The companies that make them make their money by trying to sell you the paid versions which have more features.  They usually aren't that expensive and you can sometimes find a cheap key on site like G2A.com.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

You used to be able to buy a lifetime Malwarebytes premium key for under $20.  I think they stopped doing those and now you pay for yearly subscription.  Try to find one of those lifetime keys if you can.

PC Build

Desk Build

10 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

In World of Tanks, the game stutters/hangs like every 2 seconds. It's really annoying. Also I just installed WoT onto a new HDD (WD Blue 2TB)

Just wanted to mention that I really highly doubt that a virus is slowing down a game for you. Most likely some other issue.

1 minute ago, akskl said:

Just wanted to mention that I really highly doubt that a virus is slowing down a game for you. Most likely some other issue.

Idk what a virus can do :P

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

malywarebytes

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Windows Defender is kind of like the default CPU cooler when you're trying to overclock. Except worse probably. You definitely need an anti-virus.

Avast is beyond great. I have a license, but they have a really great free version too. Just be careful which one you download, I think they have different versions for the free antivirus and the trial/premium.

Also get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for malware and all the other garbage.

You can also get CCleaner, but that's not really much of an antivirus, more of a... cleaner (obviously).

For avast go here and download the free version, I think this is the right one: https://www.avast.com/en-eu/index

Go for Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 its free and a VERY GOOD one i personally used it and cant complain! Link

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

I remember on my previous PC it had Avast and i downloaded something Avast did not detect it as a Trojan,i downloaded Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 for free because my friend said it good and it auto scanned my pc for the trojan,i think avast free is not good

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

19 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Hey guys!

Do I need to buy an anti-virus software (if yes, which works good?) or is Windows 10's Windows Defender good enough?

Windows Defender and Common Sense are the best two products for you.

If you're really into paying for security software, they all pretty much suck equally but Kaspersky and Norton are REALLY good paid options.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

6 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

Windows Defender is kind of like the default CPU cooler when you're trying to overclock. Except worse probably. You definitely need an anti-virus.

Avast is beyond great. I have a license, but they have a really great free version too. Just be careful which one you download, I think they have different versions for the free antivirus and the trial/premium.

Also get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for malware and all the other garbage.

You can also get CCleaner, but that's not really much of an antivirus, more of a... cleaner (obviously).

For avast go here and download the free version, I think this is the right one: https://www.avast.com/en-eu/index

I remember on my previous PC it had Avast and i downloaded something Avast did not detect it as a Trojan,i downloaded Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 for free because my friend said it good and it auto scanned my pc for the trojan,i think avast free is not good

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Maybe avast is not good, but it IS GREAT. I think you are wrong.

1 minute ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

Maybe avast is not good, but it IS GREAT. I think you are wrong.

For me it did not detect a trojan i had for about 2 weeks,kingsoft did

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

For me it did not detect a trojan i had for about 2 weeks,kingsoft did

How do you know it was really a trojan?

1 minute ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

How do you know it was really a trojan?

Because it fucking said it was a trojan xD 

Like others have said, MalwareBytes is a great anti-malware. In addition, I would like to point out that it is a great idea to scan anything you download with VirsusTotal before you run it. Just do something.

On 7/7/2016 at 4:51 PM, LizardsAreOP said:

Because it fucking said it was a trojan xD 

What if it wasn't, but and Kingsoft faked it?

3 hours ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

What if it wasn't, but and Kingsoft faked it?

It was a Aimbot hack that it detected,why would Kingsoft fake something?