Daisy Chaining Routers!?

Bill Cosby

Is it possible?

I have a router connected to my modem and then a network cable coming from that into my room to my pc. But i also have a laptop and my xbox in my room. So i was wondering, can i take a router and just basically daisy chain it so that i can run more cables in my room to each of my systems?

Thanks

I think you mean a switch. Essentially an internet splitter.

You can, but no one does that. If you got an old router put dd-wrt on it and turn it into an ap+switch and connect it to your real router. Or use a switch as Ssoele said :)

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

You can, but no one does that. If you got an old router put dd-wrt on it and turn it into an ap+switch and connect it to your real router. Or use a switch as Ssoele said :)
Hub even. :)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

See im not a networking guy, so i have no idea what you just said. This is the first time i have really gotten into anything networking, any chance you guys could walk me through it? Or show me something that will help me out?

Hub? That was the worst advice ever! not only is the hub a shared medium, meaning the bandwidth is going to be 10 divided to all of the equipment, but it is also half duplex(it cant send and recieve at the same time) a switch is what you want!

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

See im not a networking guy' date=' so i have no idea what you just said. This is the first time i have really gotten into anything networking, any chance you guys could walk me through it? Or show me something that will help me out? [/quote']

Dependeing on how many devices you want, something like this might get you going!

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/switches-and-access-points/unmanaged-switches/GS605.aspx#

// D-tail

The problem is i want to use what i have, not buy something else.

Here is my setup:

Modem > N600 > Computer

Here is what i want:

Modem > N600 > N300 > Computer, Xbox, Laptop

is that possible without creating a serious bandwith issue?

can i turn the N300 into a switch?

Here is my setup:

Modem > N600 > Computer

Here is what i want:

whats the modelname of rthe N300 is it a netgear? If it is a gigbit router with a 4 port switch you can always turn of nat and use it as a switch. If you could provide rthe whole name of the router I might be able to check if it is possible

Hi, I did this today with an old router an can confirm it works.

What you need to do is connect your N300 to your PC an go to its web admin, and reset the router, after login and disable DHCP and its firewall and UPnP, then give it a wireless SSID (or disable it) then unplug it from your computer an connect it to the other router LAN to lan ( it may need a unplug plug back in) then you have your switch.

with regards to speed if the 2nd router is only 100mbit then that will all be you can get to all your devices, however this will only really affect your local file transfers ( if any), if your broad an speed is say only 20mbit then the 100mbit ports will easily handle that and not impact any gaming performance.

Hope that helps, and forgive any typos I'm typing this from my mobile an I'm not perfect with the on screen keyboard yet.

Here is my setup:

Modem > N600 > Computer

Here is what i want:

the n600 and the n300 are both netgear routers.

i am not a gamer, so im not TOO worried about the speeds. i am more worried about it just working at all. and thank you, i will try this out and see if it works!

i am not a gamer, so im not TOO worried about the speeds. i am more worried about it just working at all. and thank you, i will try this out and see if it works!

like neon said, here is a guide that might help you abit

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

// D-tail

Please be aware that you should never use more than 3 hubs/routers/switches.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Please be aware that you should never use more than 3 hubs/routers/switches.
That was when using hubs, you had the 5/5/5 rule because there were far more chances on package collisions, but when using switches, that rule does not apply.

I have done a setup like this before, but I found that this setup works better: Modem > Switch > X and Y, where X and Y are two different routers with it's own set of devices connected to it. The switch has QoS, so if one network is using more bandwidth than the other, the switch will accommodate. With Modem > Router X > Router Y, unless the X has QoS, devices connected to Y will have less bandwidth since the available bandwidth is less to begin with.

As if it would make a difference in this situation.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Here is my setup:

Modem > N600 > Computer

Here is what i want:

You're not going to have any bandwidth issues at all. even 100 BASE-T isn't going to be a bottle neck for internet use.

Spoiler

You can. The simplest way to do it is you take a cable from a LAN port from Router 1 and plug it into a LAN (NOT WAN) port in Router 2. I'm sure someone will correct me and tell me that's wrong, but it's what I got going on and it works :)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You can feed a line from your router into a switch like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=2

You have that in your room and you can connect your other devices into it.

Example;

|

|

or

|

Preferably I would recommend getting an appropriate switch, but the N300 should be fine acting as a switch. You will have to turn off some settings and whatnot for it to work, but with a switch it's all plug and play.

When you set up another router it basically creates another network. You got 3 options

1. Set up the network ip's/routes properly with your two current devices. This won't take long or be hard, you just need a little google fu or get someone on the forum to teamviewer you and set you up.

2.Download the Firmware someone was talking about that will give your second router a "switch only" mode

3.Buy a 20 dollar gigabit switch, plug, play, and quit worrying about it.

guys this was answered a week ago, thanks for the help, but i already have it up and running