Cpu temperature

ruchir_ezio

Just wanted to confirm if such cpu temperatures are normal with GTA 5 running in the background and with the stock cooler. Also the processor aint over clocked 

1467702280474835325088.jpg

Normal ... not really, but something you should expect with a stock cooler and a CPU demanding Game like GTA  Haswell isn't the coolest architecture either, even if the i7-4790K is better than the previous i7-4770K.

Get a cheap CPU cooler and CPU will probably thank you that 25$ investment.

No, that's definitely excessive.  A pinned 4770k at stock on the stock cooler would be in the low 70s.  the 4790(k) should run similarly, and you're not even really working it by the looks of things.  Unless it's like 33+ C in your room, those temps are not normal

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

How hot it can get varies from what people are comfortable with. I'd say anything in the 70 to 80 range is too hot, if its not already thermal throttling, its close to that limit. And the hotter your PC run the shorter lifespan it will have. 

While your temperatures are high, with a stock cooler its not something I haven't seen before. I'd first of all dust your computer, get some canned air and blow that baby up. Make sure your case has good airflow, check your fans, perhaps turn up the fan speed, check some videos or guides on how to make sure your computer has adequate airflow. And if all else fail, a new cooler would be the best best, besides as @Narnash said, your cpu will thank you for a CPU cooler.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

you can underclock it for now and get aftermarket cooler later when you have the money for it.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

11 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

How hot it can get varies from what people are comfortable with. I'd say anything in the 70 to 80 range is too hot, if its not already thermal throttling, its close to that limit. And the hotter your PC run the shorter lifespan it will have. 

While your temperatures are high, with a stock cooler its not something I haven't seen before. I'd first of all dust your computer, get some canned air and blow that baby up. Make sure your case has good airflow, check your fans, perhaps turn up the fan speed, check some videos or guides on how to make sure your computer has adequate airflow. And if all else fail, a new cooler would be the best best, besides as @Narnash said, your cpu will thank you for a CPU cooler.

The 4770k (and by extension the 4790K) thermal throttle at 105c.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

My room temp must be around 28-30 and the cpu temp is going up and down. Right now with GTA 5 running it's just under 70c. So basically I just need to replace the stock cooler right?

14677057420421765400929.jpg

Yes, I should mention, your temps are not in any way dangerous.  They're just unusual (unusually high)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

The 4770k (and by extension the 4790K) thermal throttle at 105c.

I thought that was around 90. Please excuse my uninformed ass. :P

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

56 minutes ago, Narnash said:

Normal ... not really, but something you should expect with a stock cooler and a CPU demanding Game like GTA  Haswell isn't the coolest architecture either, even if the i7-4790K is better than the previous i7-4770K.

Get a cheap CPU cooler and CPU will probably thank you that 25$ investment.

Cooler Master Hyper 103 Essential CPU Air cooler for all Intel / AMD Processors with Blue LED Fan https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00D4EEEFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1O2ExbVWMAT7A

Would this cpu cooler do the job?

Screenshot_2016-07-05-13-35-52.png

14 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

I thought that was around 90. Please excuse my uninformed ass. :P

I thought it was at 100 :D

13 minutes ago, ruchir_ezio said:

-snip-

It will do a better job than the stock cooler for sure. And it fit an a 1150 Socket.

If the look suits you (or you doesn't care) and it fit in your case! than sure you can take it.

PS:

As a rule aply, most of the time for a cooler more surface = better cooling, but you still want a cooler wich you can be mount easily, wich left enough room for your RAM, looks nice and so on

If you list up your specs (Especially case and ram) I'm sure someone will be able to give you other recommendation aswell. But remember that if your case has poor airflow an aircooler can only do so much.

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, that's definitely excessive.  A pinned 4770k at stock on the stock cooler would be in the low 70s.  the 4790(k) should run similarly, and you're not even really working it by the looks of things.  Unless it's like 33+ C in your room, those temps are not normal

depending on case airflow, those temps are pretty normal. the stock intel cooler isnt made to keep the thing "comfortable" but more so to be the bare minimal to stop it from thermal throttling.

note that it's running at 4.2GHz, so it'll be within margin of it's max thermal output no matter the usage%.

12 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

If you list up your specs (Especially case and ram) I'm sure someone will be able to give you other recommendation aswell. But remember that if your case has poor airflow an aircooler can only do so much.

Mother board Gigabyte z87d3hp atx

Ram corsair vengeance 8x2

Gpu Asus gtx 760

And the case is cooler master k380

1467707763783-1884678315.jpg

1467708059302-1057017487.jpg

Edited by ruchir_ezio
Added photos

5 minutes ago, ruchir_ezio said:

Mother board Gigabyte z87d3hp atx

Ram corsair vengeance 8x2

Gpu Asus gtx 760

And the case is cooler master k380

Is your ram the low profile kind or?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory/vengeance

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/~/media/8D8EC39C1B3849A9AA6B3B2FFD8F9F31.ashx

That means its 52.5mm. So if you stick to those mesurements and find a cooler with 50mm  clearence it should fit. I'm not sure exactly how they measure it, but seeing as the CPU sits at about the same height as ram slots, but the ram sinks a little in. So 50mm should be enough. Although I am not completely sure. But 52.5mm clearance should be good. But again, I'm really bad at this kind of stuff and don't know exactly how to figure out the bare minumum clearance, but since you aren't using the slot closest to your cpu you might not even have to worry about height clearance since the cooler might not even reach out to the ram. When it comes to air coolers I feel like I'm in a little over my head so I'd wait until someone else replies with a little more knowledge. The case CPU cooler height is: 155mm. If I were at home I'd do some research on it, but I'm at work soo... 

I have the same cpu and ram, and have the Cooler Master TX3 EVO due to space issues with my case and fans. Works well and keeps temps around 60c while playing GTA V in the summer and 50c in the winter.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma

11 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

No it's not a lp ram

I would double check with your motherboard manual about how to properly install it for dual channel.  It looks to me like that's not right; you're running single channel right now.

On 7/6/2016 at 1:56 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would double check with your motherboard manual about how to properly install it for dual channel.  It looks to me like that's not right; you're running single channel right now.

Oh you mean they should be in the same coloured slots?

Temps are high, but for room temp around 30 C it is expected to go over 70 C. Replacing stock cooler with custom one should help. Also make sure your case is positioned on the desk with enough room around it to exchange heat. Clean dust if needed. And if you decide to replace cooler with a custom one make sure to properly reapply thermal paste.

If you just want to somewhat lower the temperature and don't plan to overclock than something in range of Cooler Master evo 212 should work. If you plan to overclock I'd suggest to go with Noctua lineup or equivalent (depends on location and budget).

3 hours ago, ruchir_ezio said:

Oh you mean they should be in the same coloured slots?

yes