founders edition or keep waiting?

Maist

Hi guys,

I've been waiting to get the GTX1070 for about a month now, and right now you can only get the founders edition where i live.

I can order the G1 card from the amazon us but it costs about 100USD more because of the shipping 

Should i just get the FE?

How inferior it?

2 minutes ago, Maist said:

Hi guys,

I've been waiting to get the GTX1070 for about a month now, and right now you can only get the founders edition where i live.

I can order the G1 card from the amazon us but it costs about 100USD more because of the shipping 

How inferior it?

Honestly it's fine, it is just a tad noisier than some of the custom editions. Make sure you set-up a custom fan curve when you get it through the likes of MSI Afterburner and you will be good to go.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

With the card being 150 TDP is actually not that bad: I have a noisy room but I could hear my older cards and this one I can't hear it over the room fans and the audio. Even with our punishing summer right now (My room temp is fucking 30c or more) I still haven't seen it past 85 usually around 82 and such on Witcher 3.

So it will cope with the heat, plus if you ever plan on a small itx build or a water block you'd want a founder's ed anyway. I really don't think extra 100 in shipping is worth it but waiting for local availability that might be worth waiting, depends on how impatient you are (for example, I was supremely impatient)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Blower style coolers are fine, expect a bit higher temps and more noise. But you can compensate for high temps by creating a custom fan curve.

However, waiting a bit more won't harm you. It's up to you really. :)

3 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Honestly it's fine, it is just a tad noisier than some of the custom editions. Make sure you set-up a custom fan curve when you get it through the likes of MSI Afterburner and you will be good to go.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

With the card being 150 TDP is actually not that bad: I have a noisy room but I could hear my older cards and this one I can't hear it over the room fans and the audio. Even with our punishing summer right now (My room temp is fucking 30c or more) I still haven't seen it past 85 usually around 82 and such on Witcher 3.

So it will cope with the heat, plus if you ever plan on a small itx build or a water block you'd want a founder's ed anyway. I really don't think extra 100 in shipping is worth it but waiting for local availability that might be worth waiting, depends on how impatient you are (for example, I was supremely impatient)

will i be able to OC this card or is it hopeless?

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

You are right, the board partners do change a lot more though.

Yes, its not going to make that much of a difference, MSI for instance won't make the GTX 1070 run as a GTX 1080 but they will do a lot more.

Better cooling solution (Not only quietter, also more efficiënt etc.), Better power delivery (sometimes they do this, not always) for better/more stable overclocks.
And they add LEDs (RGB nowdays...)

So if you wan't the founders edition for the looks, then go for it. If you can and are willing to wait, then wait.

Maybe the other companies will suck at bringing up a better version, maybe they won't.
If they do, you can still buy a Founders Edition though :Þ

3 minutes ago, Maist said:

It will be able to overclock, Its just not going to be as much as other OEMs will be giving you.
NVidia even hit 2Ghz at that preview event, just with the Founders Edition ;)

5 minutes ago, Maist said:

I think so. Mine actually boosts fairly high all on it's own (1875 Mhz max boost even when the card is rated way lower than that at 1683 MHz) and my fan curve isn't that aggressive. But honestly you probably don't need much of an overclock anyway: this card is quite a performer.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Maist said:

You will. But expect lower overclocks than the other editions, or well, you can push it, but expect really high temps and a really loud cooler. If you are ok with that, then go for it :D

3 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

You are right, the board partners do change a lot more though.

Yes, its not going to make that much of a difference, MSI for instance won't make the GTX 1070 run as a GTX 1080 but they will do a lot more.

Better cooling solution (Not only quietter, also more efficiënt etc.), Better power delivery (sometimes they do this, not always) for better/more stable overclocks.
And they add LEDs (RGB nowdays...)

So if you wan't the founders edition for the looks, then go for it. If you can and are willing to wait, then wait.

Maybe the other companies will suck at bringing up a better version, maybe they won't.
If they do, you can still buy a Founders Edition though :Þ

1 minute ago, tv15dsi said:

It will be able to overclock, Its just not going to be as much as other OEMs will be giving you.
NVidia even hit 2Ghz at that preview event, just with the Founders Edition ;)

Oh I know the differences, I usually only buy the EVGA classified editions or the MSI Lightnings, but with the 1080 overclock results that have been floating around a few forums and YT recently, it pretty much makes no difference. Sometimes Founders Edition cards OC better than some custom boards, such as the Asus Strix edition (which stays nice and cool and quiet, and looks pretty but doesn't seem to want to OC as well as others hoped).

I personally want a silent system so I am waiting, but then again mine will have water blocks and go in a custom loop so it's kind of irrelevant.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

3 minutes ago, Bogica said:

You will. But expect lower overclocks than the other editions, or well, you can push it, but expect really high temps and a really loud cooler. If you are ok with that, then go for it :D

i see.

what is considered good OC, and what will i be able to achieve with the FE?

I have a founders 1080. I love it. Quieter and cooler than my 980 Ti reference. If you can deal with the fan noise, it's a great card. 

Side note: my Noctua NF-A14 Industrial fans at 3000 RPM absolutely crush the 1080 at 100% fan speed. :D I do have it on a fan controller though so all is good.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

12 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I have a founders 1080. I love it. Quieter and cooler than my 980 Ti reference. If you can deal with the fan noise, it's a great card. 

Side note: my Noctua NF-A14 Industrial fans at 3000 RPM absolutely crush the 1080 at 100% fan speed. :D I do have it on a fan controller though so all is good.

Damn, how can you live with a windtunnel beside you... My desktop with 6x Corsair SP120 Quiet editions are way to loud for me already....

guys what is considered good OC and what will i be able to get with the FE?

1 hour ago, Maist said:

guys what is considered good OC and what will i be able to get with the FE?

Should be around 2.1 ghz but the thing is, it thermal throttles so the performance goes down. The performance goes down so the temps would get lower so the GPU doesn't kill itself. Great looking GPU, but it's not worth losing performance over. I'd wait tbh

I'm a person, you're a person...Together, we are people.

Bob Ross is the greatest painter ever! Happy trees!

Specs:

Spoiler

Processor: i7 4790k @4.7ghz
Game destroyer: Msi GTX 970 4GD5 OC (Soon to be a 1080 or Titan)
Mobo: MSI Z97I AC mini ITX motherboard 
Fridge: NZXT Kraken X31 120mm liquid cooler
Lambo: Samsung 850 EVO 120gb SSD
Honda Civic: Random Toshiba 2TB 7200rpm HDD
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 g2 (Currently out for RMA)
Case: NZXT S340 Midtower PC case

3 hours ago, Maist said:

Hi guys,

How inferior it?

FE cards are perfectly fine.  The cooling configuration may not be perfect, but the card itself is just fine.  

I have two on waterblocks that will run 2100+ MHz and hold it all day long without issue at completely stock voltages.  Memory also overclocks very well at 11,800+ MHz.

Partner cards are going to obviously offer better cooling and power solutions, but don't expect to gain much if any in the area of max overclock.  You can essentially hit the same overclocks by setting your own fan curves on the FE cards.  It'll just be noisier. 

If you want a GTX 1080, go ahead and get the FE if it's what is available to you.