Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Worth It?

Jacob Canale

Hey Guys! I was wondering what advantages The 950 pro m.2 ha over the 850 evo m.2. Also, I was wondering if you have to install the 950 Pro m.2 in a special way or something.

Thanks!

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-950-pro-256gb-m-2-ce-118218.htm?affiliateid=7474144

http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-850-evo-500gb-m-2-0e-110826.htm?affiliateid=7474144

It's faster, might last longer. Not worth it IMO, unless you edit 4k footage or something.

Note that the speed is only apparent in heavy load tasks, like 4k editing.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Yup. as @HPWebcamAble said. The only difference is a little bit of speed and more reliablilty. If you dont need it for professional use then go with the 850 EVO.

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

The speed IS apparent in other situations too. things like boot ups are noticeably faster than the 850. Things like game loading screens are near instant in many cases (versus the 1-2 seconds the 850 would take). I mean, you could certainly argue its not worth the price for how little you get, and you could likely be right, but the difference isn't unnoticeable.

As far as installation goes, I believe if you plug it into your m.2 port, everything recognizes automatically and its basically plug and play. If you wish to use an extension card and plug it into a PCIe slot, then you MAY have to adjust a setting or two in your BIOS to get it configured properly. I've never used one before, so I do not know this for certain, but based on what i've read and gleaned on the subject, that should be about right.

950 pro 512 GB NVMe 2.5GB/s Read , 1.5GB Write

850 pro SATA (even though it's m.2 form factor , not a NVMe device) you are still capped at a saturated 550ish MB read , 500ish MB write.

1 hour ago, AlphaPolack said:

950 pro 512 GB NVMe 2.5GB/s Read , 1.5GB Write

850 pro SATA (even though it's m.2 form factor , not a NVMe device) you are still capped at a saturated 550ish MB read , 500ish MB write.

Ok, im prob gonna go with the 256 gb version of the 950 pro, but ive heard some rumors of it overheating, and im worried it might damage my mobo, since it covers it up. I'll include my build link so you can see.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jwWkTH

1 minute ago, AlphaPolack said:

I have heard a little about the heat. I do know that they have a thermal throttling mechanism to prevent damage to the device. but most chips have a "operating range" of temperature.

There is a little more information on a thread at Tomshardware http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2894741/temps-query-warm.html 

sweet, thanks!

I have ordered 2 of the 512gb versions to raid 0 them. That's going to be interesting see them reach ramdrive (circa 2009) speeds

1 minute ago, AlphaPolack said:

I have ordered 2 of the 512gb versions to raid 0 them. That's going to be interesting see them reach ramdrive (circa 2009) speeds

lol have fun with that