Games chugging

I was playing with my pc connected to my living room and was using an xbox controller with a long cable to play on the couch. Suddenly, my mom steps on the cable and my pc does like a little bunny hop. All my games began to chug and and in some cases, had artifacts and glitches. I am 90% positive its my hard drive  (WD Black 2tb), but my pc boots fine and i could still do things like browse and watch videos which makes me think it could probably be my graphics card. What do you guys think? Is the issue caused by my hard drive or gpu?

4 minutes ago, carlosthemagicbum said:

I was playing with my pc connected to my living room and was using an xbox controller with a long cable to play on the couch. Suddenly, my mom steps on the cable and my pc does like a little bunny hop. All my games began to chug and and in some cases, had artifacts and glitches. I am 90% positive its my hard drive  (WD Black 2tb), but my pc boots fine and i could still do things like browse and watch videos which makes me think it could probably be my graphics card. What do you guys think? Is the issue caused by my hard drive or gpu?

take and re-seat the GPU. if it still does it, move it to a different PCI slot if you have it available to see if the slot was damaged. If your HDD was damaged, you would get bluescreens and failures to load up etc.. artifacts and glitching is GPU or the slot its plugged into. Could also be the CPU if it was jarred loose. 

Second thought.. best to take the full system apart and rebuild it and reseat everything. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

21 minutes ago, carlosthemagicbum said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

Such accidents may cause damage to the HDD so I'd check its health and the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. Download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests. You can use another tool to check the actual raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. Feel free to post them here if you are not sure how to read them. 

I'd also recommend reseating all your hardware parts. @legacy99 gave you some good advice so I'd follow that too.

Post back with some test results! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thank you guys for the help! I just finished the diagnosis and my hard drive is fine :) i now narrow it down to the gpu and motherboard. I really hope its the gpu because i really don't want to to buy a new motherboard then having to re install everything and buy a new copy of windows :(

2 hours ago, carlosthemagicbum said:

~snip~

I'd also check the actual raw values of the HDD's S.M.A.R.T. status just to be on the safe side... do post them here if you are not sure how to read them.

Even if you are replacing the motherboard you should be able (depending on your licence) to reuse your current OS key.

If you don't have it written down there are ways to get the currently used on the OS.

This one should be pretty easy to do:

- Assuming you can boot your computer without any problems, you can easily create a simple VBscript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling.

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)

Const KeyOffset = 52

i = 28

Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"

Do

Cur = 0

x = 14

Do

Cur = Cur * 256

Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur

Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255

Cur = Cur Mod 24

x = x -1

Loop While x >= 0

i = i -1

KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput

If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then

i = i -1

KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput

End If

Loop While i >= 0

ConvertToKey = KeyOutput

End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension. 

Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/