File server help

AustinTheIntern

So I basically need to access the server from anywhere, safely/securely and quickly.

I also need to be able to read/write data from the server from anywhere (using wifi/3g) 

What software/OS can you guys recommend me?

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Filezilla is a good FTP server software imo. I know you can read on it but don't know if this also supports writing.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Filezilla is a good FTP server software imo. I know you can read on it but don't know if this also supports writing.

It does. I've uploaded files with it before.

Filezilla is a good FTP

I personally use Filezilla. I love it. It can be run on windows, mac, and under WINE in Linux (no Linux server yet, must be ran with WINE).

Its very stable, can setup multiple user accounts with different permissions, can set bandwidth caps... the list goes on. I love it. I highly recommend you look into it.

~Judah

I personally use Filezilla. I love it. It can be run on windows, mac, and under WINE in Linux (no Linux server yet, must be ran with WINE).

Its very stable, can setup multiple user accounts with different permissions, can set bandwidth caps... the list goes on. I love it. I highly recommend you look into it.

Okay. Thank you guys. Can you guys recommend me to any sites/videos that set this up, other than Linus's (from NCIXTechtips)? Thanks.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

You need the filzilla server not the client. And then you need to open the port you choose to use on your router. Both ftp and sftp have standardized ports but if your on a home connection these might be blocked by your isp so I suggest choosing your own that isnt already used by something else. Also id recommend setting up sftp if possible.

You need the filzilla server not the client. And then you need to open the port you choose to use on your router. Both ftp and sftp have standardized ports but if your on a home connection these might be blocked by your isp so I suggest choosing your own that isnt already used by something else. Also id recommend setting up sftp if possible.

I would be really grateful if anyone could provide me a guide/video on how to setup all of this. I'm more of a follow set-by-step guy. 

Okay. Thank you guys. Can you guys recommend me to any sites/videos that set this up, other than Linus's (from NCIXTechtips)? Thanks.

Just assign your home ip to a domain using no-ip and port forward if needed

http://lifehacker.com/339887/build-a-home-ftp-server-with-filezilla

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Filezilla is equivalent to leaving your house keys under the door mat. It works great but it as open as a house with no doors.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Filezilla is equivalent to leaving your house keys under the door mat. It works great but it as open as a house with no doors.

cause you left a port open that goes to a passworded program? Do you know hows many ports are open already that someone could use?

cause you left a port open that goes to a passworded program? Do you know hows many ports are open already that someone could use?

So how to do i guard it then? Or make it have more security

What OS are you using?

Windows 7 probably. I'm almost finished with my 18TB server with RAID 6. 

I am very interested in this topic as well as I have the same needs as the OP and just about the same setup as well.

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |

I am very interested in this topic as well as I have the same needs as the OP and just about the same setup as well.

Yeah, nice to see other people interested as well. 

Just saying there is probably more than enough stuff on the net already for setting this up. You can probably get a bunch of the info you need from the readme or manual. Its really not all that hard if you know a bit of home networking.