GPU starts then stops.

toastythomas

Graphics card starts when powered, then stops when the BIOS screen flashes. The OS goes to boot but displays black. The card's fans stop spinning. The case is the Node 202. 

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

Graphics card starts when powered, then stops when the BIOS screen flashes. The OS goes to boot but displays black. The card's fans stop spinning. The case is the Node 202. 

What GPU do you have most have the fans are now setup to not spin unless it reaches a certain temp or load so it's normal for the fans to not be spinning.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

What GPU do you have most have the fans are now setup to not spin unless it reaches a certain temp or load so it's normal for the fans to not be spinning.

It is the 950 SSC, the fans spin constantly regardless of the load.

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

Disregarding that, the screen is still black.

Oh your not getting a display output I thought you were just concerned about the fans. Hmm make sure all the connections to the monitor are good and that the power connectors are all wired up to the GPU. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh your not getting a display output I thought you were just concerned about the fans. Hmm make sure all the connections to the monitor are good and that the power connectors are all wired up to the GPU. 

I have checked that. It displays the BIOS flash screen, but nothing further.

Remember to drink water!

2 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

I have checked that. It displays the BIOS flash screen, but nothing further.

Make sure the iGPU is disabled and set to the dedicated GPU, if it still doesn't work you can try to reset the CMOS or update the BIOS to hopefully see if it recognizes it. If you have another computer to test on that may be something to try also if all that doesn't help to just rule out an issue with the GPU itself.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Make sure the iGPU is disabled and set to the dedicated GPU, if it still doesn't work you can try to reset the CMOS or update the BIOS to hopefully see if it recognizes it. If you have another computer to test on that may be something to try also if all that doesn't help to just rule out an issue with the GPU itself.

What I forgot to mention is that this computer has worked before. When my friend moved it to a different house, this issue popped up. When he powered it on after the move, it was using AMD graphics. I disabled that thinking the 950 would be used. I was wrong.

How would one disable the iGPU? How would one reset CMOS? The mobo is the A68HI AC.

Remember to drink water!

3 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

What I forgot to mention is that this computer has worked before. When my friend moved it to a different house, this issue popped up. When he powered it on after the move, it was using AMD graphics. I disabled that thinking the 950 would be used. I was wrong.

How would one disable the iGPU? How would one reset CMOS? The mobo is the A68HI AC.

Inside the BIOS there should be a setting to default which the system uses either setup or to automatically detect, as to reset the CMOS most have a button on the motherboard or a simple way is to take/e out the battery for about 30 seconds. 

If it started doing that after moving the pc, I would start by trying to reseat the gpu.

After resetting the BIOS config, this appears!

image.jpg

Remember to drink water!

8 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

After resetting the BIOS config, this appears!

Hmm that's better, see if going into the BIOS and make sure you have a drive that is selected as the boot device, sometimes it may require moving the cable to a different sata port on the motherboard. 

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

Hmm that's better, see if going into the BIOS and make sure you have a drive that is selected as the boot device, sometimes it may require moving the cable to a different sata port on the motherboard. 

Could you help me find the bios jumper for my motherboard? I'm having trouble finding it and the manual gives vague directions.

Remember to drink water!

4 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

Could you help me find the bios jumper for my motherboard? I'm having trouble finding it and the manual gives vague directions.

Most boards don't use jumpers anymore just removing the battery onboard will reset them. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Most boards don't use jumpers anymore just removing the battery onboard will reset them. 

So where's the battery ?

Remember to drink water!

11 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

So where's the battery ?

Your board has the battery connected through those red and black lead to the black disc and is attached to the rear io ports:

board-apu-100612660-orig.jpg

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Your board has the battery connected through those red and black lead to the black disc and is attached to the rear io ports:

board-apu-100612660-orig.jpg

I pulled it out for a solid ten seconds. Then I put it back in and booted it again. Still a black screen upon post.

Remember to drink water!

20 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

I pulled it out for a solid ten seconds. Then I put it back in and booted it again. Still a black screen upon post.

Nothing on the screen like before? Only other things I can really think of off would be to try taking out the GPU and resetting everything and use the motherboard's output to boot into windows, once you get there try running display driver uninstaller to remove the old AMD drivers since you mentioned it previously had an AMD card.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Nothing on the screen like before? Only other things I can really think of off would be to try taking out the GPU and resetting everything and use the motherboard's output to boot into windows, once you get there try running display driver uninstaller to remove the old AMD drivers since you mentioned it previously had an AMD card.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I think you misunderstood me, the computer was newly built. When he moved the PC, the GPU stopped being used and the iGPU was being used. I cannot boot with the mobo since I disabled the iGPU graphics when it booted last. I thought this would solve the issue but it created more.

Remember to drink water!

3 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

I think you misunderstood me, the computer was newly built. When he moved the PC, the GPU stopped being used and the iGPU was being used. I cannot boot with the mobo since I disabled the iGPU graphics when it booted last. I thought this would solve the issue but it created more.

Hard to say then but you can always boot into the BIOS to change the graphical options, if your getting just a plain black screen without post then I would go through with just the absolute basics one stick of ram CPU, and Power to just try and get it to post first. 

On 7/2/2016 at 10:39 PM, W-L said:

Hard to say then but you can always boot into the BIOS to change the graphical options, if your getting just a plain black screen without post then I would go through with just the absolute basics one stick of ram CPU, and Power to just try and get it to post first. 

He booted and posted with the one stick and the GPU removed. I'm just wondering though, what now? Should he look into drivers? Or what? It's hard to do anything because the GPU is removed and we can't edit anything on it.

Remember to drink water!

47 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

He booted and posted with the one stick and the GPU removed. I'm just wondering though, what now? Should he look into drivers? Or what? It's hard to do anything because the GPU is removed and we can't edit anything on it.

Ok that's a good sign, first are you able to boot with all the RAM in place. If so make sure your settings are set to automatic for detecting which graphics device the system uses, after you can try installing the GPU to see if everything boots smoothly, if it still gives you that black screen issue I would definitely try it in another system to see if it's a problem with the GPU itself.

On 7/3/2016 at 11:40 PM, W-L said:

Ok that's a good sign, first are you able to boot with all the RAM in place. If so make sure your settings are set to automatic for detecting which graphics device the system uses, after you can try installing the GPU to see if everything boots smoothly, if it still gives you that black screen issue I would definitely try it in another system to see if it's a problem with the GPU itself.

It works! Thank you for your support over the past couple of days. While he's not impressed with my help, he's back gaming and enjoying his new PC. Just if you were curious, here's his build. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/toastythomas/saved/qP9hP6

Remember to drink water!

• 3 years later...
On 7/2/2016 at 7:34 PM, W-L said:

Hello.If your still there moderator I have the same prob with my old msi gpu that the fan starts but then stops. I dont have connections to monitor but I feel like it just doesn't work