SSD reliability?

stairs2195

just want to ask you guys how reliable are the Samsung 840 series because in the past year i've had two SSD's fail on me, one was a OCZ Agility3 60GB and the other was a Mushkin Cronos 90GB and both have failed on me so i' m willing to give SSD's one more go and wanted to know how reliability of the 840 series?

Try Intel, is the best SSD on the market (linus told me) jaja is expensive but it worth it. The 840 is better than the OCZ Agility 3 because the 840 is fully samsung and the OCZ have Thirt-party drivers

I own three ssd's atm, two are corsair and one is samsung, both have lasted longer without issues than my HDD's. they are getting better all the time. soon if you want reliable storage it will HAVE to be on an SSD.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Every new generations, SSD get massively more reliable than the last, for all brands. Also the amount of possible writes increases. Now if you get synchronious MLC based SSD (usually have 5 years), you can practically trash them in writes and they'll pass (assuming no manufacture error) well over 7-9 years. They are really solid products.

Now the Samsung 840, what concerns me, isn't the reliability of the drive.. Samsung and Intel have are very strong production process which allows them to have much less manufacture errors than other manufactures. What concerns me is that the Samsung 840 usues TLC memory chip. That is the exact same chips used on USB flash drives. Their writes amount are very limited. Samsung say that they use special algorithm and special chips to not be an issue.. but only offers a 3 year warranty. So, let's say, I would not trust the SSD after the 3 years are up.

Every new generations, SSD get massively more reliable than the last, for all brands. Also the amount of possible writes increases. Now if you get synchronious MLC based SSD (usually have 5 years), you can practically trash them in writes and they'll pass (assuming no manufacture error) well over 7-9 years. They are really solid products.

Now the Samsung 840, what concerns me, isn't the reliability of the drive.. Samsung and Intel have are very strong production process which allows them to have much less manufacture errors than other manufactures. What concerns me is that the Samsung 840 usues TLC memory chip. That is the exact same chips used on USB flash drives. Their writes amount are very limited. Samsung say that they use special algorithm and special chips to not be an issue.. but only offers a 3 year warranty. So, let's say, I would not trust the SSD after the 3 years are up.

what about the 840 pro this offers double the write speed of the plain 840 drive do these still use the TLC chips?

and on a side note dear god SSD prices have dropped since i last looked for the 840 pro 256GB its only £169 which is about $255 just thought id mention

but thanks for the replies guys :)

I have a 512GB OCZ Agility 4 with 17TB host writes. I dislike Crucial (3 have failed on me. I am heavy into writes). I also have a couple of Intel 80GB that I bought a long time ago and have never had an issue with those either. I think one of my Intel drive may have been on 24/7 since then too.