4930K + Motherboard

So even if I use the computer for video editing, photo editing, and computing, I don't need the full workstation board such as the one Linus just did here?

I'm just making sure I get the right thing for what I need before I pull the trigger lol.

Nope I wouldnt get full workstation board unless your going xeon and want the ecc ram. Those are also the only ones that support the Intel Phi but I believe you need a xeon use it (dont quote me though). Almost all X79 boards will probably handle what you need it for.

He was also loving the whole support for 'unusual' PCIE cards, things like his raid card and when he previously had his 10 gigabit network card.

Most x79 boards could handle this, like my sabertooth x79 has 2x 16x and 1x 8x I have 2x 670 and 1x 4x RevoDrive.

Heck even my Sabertooth x58 has 2x 16x and 1x 4x and im running a 650 ti boost 2gb in the second 16x slot, a LSI 9260-i4 raid card in the first 16x slot (since it needs 8x) and was running a 4x Highpoint 4port 20gbs usb 3.0 card in the 4x slot. Now well im working on my desktop the Revodrive is in there though.

No, 32 gigs is plenty enough unless you go absolutely crazy on video editing or virtual machines and memory speed hardly matters past 1866 MHz for this kind of rig.

32gb is more than plenty hell 16gb is probably fine, with everything I do i rarely go over that. I did how ever upgrade to 32gb 1866 when I went from a 3820 to a 4930K. For 1866 memory i recommend either vengeance pro or domanator platinum.

32gb is more than plenty hell 16gb is probably fine, with everything I do i rarely go over that. I did how ever upgrade to 32gb 1866 when I went from a 3820 to a 4930K. For 1866 memory i recommend either vengeance pro or domanator platinum.

Definitely going for Dominator Platinum. I have no problem buying 32GB now and 32GB later or all 64GB at once since this budget is being pulled together by two people and the budget is specifically for this machine.

1866 is the sweet spot according to Anandtech. All I have next to do is figure out if a Titan is better for both of us rather than SLI 780s + watercooling configuration. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I'm also using this as a temporary board until the Rampage 4 Black Edition comes out and I have to say it does do basically everything as well as you could want it too.. although like many others you may find you hit an overclocking wall at around 4.5-4.6GHz with all the Sandy Bridge-e 2011 boards until they have fine tuned the bios's for IVY-e a bit more.

You could also look at some of the new "IVY-e" optimized boards like the EVGA Dark and the new X79 Deluxe from Asus.

What overclocking wall? Do you mean with the Ivy-Bridge processors or the Sandy-Bridge processors.

I can get 4.3 @ ~1.255 volts stable and 4.7 @ ~1.35 stable, with both using offset.

I've even done 4.8 @ ~1.45 volts. but that's a bit too much for 24/7 clocks on my H100i.

And for benchmarking, I've gotten it up to 5 GHz @ 1.5 volts.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

What overclocking wall? Do you mean with the Ivy-Bridge processors or the Sandy-Bridge processors.

I can get 4.3 @ ~1.255 volts stable and 4.7 @ ~1.35 stable, with both using offset.

I've even done 4.8 @ ~1.45 volts. but that's a bit too much for 24/7 clocks on my H100i.

What's a stable OC I should be shooting for on the 4930K with custom watercool loop?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Definitely going for Dominator Platinum. I have no problem buying 32GB now and 32GB later or all 64GB at once since this budget is being pulled together by two people and the budget is specifically for this machine.

1866 is the sweet spot according to Anandtech. All I have next to do is figure out if a Titan is better for both of us rather than SLI 780s + watercooling configuration.

yea 1866 is the sweet spot since the speed is naively supports by the CPU now. I would recommend the set I got then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233393

Wow just notice I paid nothing near that even without my promo code. I wonder if they dropped the price right on the release of Ivy-E so that they would sell more or something.

If you need dbl precision get the titan if your going to be using gfx card mostly for gaming get the 780's. Also you can expand the H320 if you got that. it could easily cool the titan but idk about dual 780's youd probably have to add another rad and if your going that far you might as well just go full custom.

I wouldnt take it over 1.4v ever if you want stability and a system that will last for some time.

What's a stable OC I should be shooting for on the 4930K with custom watercool loop?

I would just do a google search and find a few reviews that have OCed it and see what they can do and try to aim for that. If you hit it try to go higher.

I was talking about the overclocking wall for ivy-e processors. So far this has just been due to immature bios's and should hopefully be fixed with time..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

You will most likely be looking at around 4.6ghz... Currently I'm running 4.6 - 1.385v with Max temps of 67c and that's with a custom loop.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

yea 1866 is the sweet spot since the speed is naively supports by the CPU now. I would recommend the set I got then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233393

Wow just notice I paid nothing near that even without my promo code. I wonder if they dropped the price right on the release of Ivy-E so that they would sell more or something.

If you need dbl precision get the titan if your going to be using gfx card mostly for gaming get the 780's. Also you can expand the H320 if you got that. it could easily cool the titan but idk about dual 780's youd probably have to add another rad and if your going that far you might as well just go full custom.

I wouldnt take it over 1.4v ever if you want stability and a system that will last for some time.

I would just do a google search and find a few reviews that have OCed it and see what they can do and try to aim for that. If you hit it try to go higher.

It's cheaper to get two 2x8GB sets than 4x8GB.

For custom, there will be two 480s, a 240, and maybe another 240. One pump. It should be enough to cool the CPU + GPU or two.

For gaming a 780 is better, but for Photoshop, Adobe After Efffect, Premier, and Final Cut Pro, plus other apps, I wonder if the Titan is better? I haven't found benchmarks for them.

It's cheaper to get two 2x8GB sets than 4x8GB.

For custom, there will be two 480s, a 240, and maybe another 240. One pump. It should be enough to cool the CPU + GPU or two.

For gaming a 780 is better, but for Photoshop, Adobe After Efffect, Premier, and Final Cut Pro, plus other apps, I wonder if the Titan is better? I haven't found benchmarks for them.

problem with that then is that the two sets are not paired and the XMP profile is for dual channel not quad. If your looking for a cheaper option this is what I was planning to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233546 but I had to wait a day to order and by the time I ordered it was out most likely because of the release of Ivy-E.

Thats going to be way more than enough I would think unless your going to heavily OC everything then it should still be enough, possibly still overkill.

Well you would have to look into whether those programs benefit from the double precision, if they dont they it probably only preforms a bit better still not justifying the price difference.

problem with that then is that the two sets are not paired and the XMP profile is for dual channel not quad. If your looking for a cheaper option this is what I was planning to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233546 but I had to wait a day to order and by the time I ordered it was out most likely because of the release of Ivy-E.

Thats going to be way more than enough I would think unless your going to heavily OC everything then it should still be enough, possibly still overkill.

Well you would have to look into whether those programs benefit from the double precision, if they dont they it probably only preforms a bit better still not justifying the price difference.

XMP profile is built into the RAM stick itself? I was Googleing and some people use four dual channel ram (8 sticks total).

It's an overkill build. It should keep everything nice and cold. About OCing, is there a way to set it like it is at stock for a 3570k?  when not being heavily used, it goes down to 1.6GHz and .8905V. When using OC, does that stop that from happening?

I'll have to Google that too.

XMP profile is built into the RAM stick itself? I was Googleing and some people use four dual channel ram (8 sticks total).

It's an overkill build. It should keep everything nice and cold. About OCing, is there a way to set it like it is at stock for a 3570k?  when not being heavily used, it goes down to 1.6GHz and .8905V. When using OC, does that stop that from happening?

I'll have to Google that too.

umm yea where did you think they were?

yes, leave intel speed step and turbo enable and just do a moderate OC using turbo only.

umm yea where did you think they were?

yes, leave intel speed step and turbo enable and just do a moderate OC using turbo only.

I though XMP was on the CPU. I dunno much about RAM except the basics.

I though XMP was on the CPU. I dunno much about RAM except the basics.

XMP = extreme memory profile

It was developed by intel for their platforms so that you could easily use the correct manufacturer timings.

I read that the ivy-e processors don't overclock as well as sandy-e.

So around 4.5 - 4.6 Ghz if you're lucky. Depends on your CPU, they're all a little different.

Even at 4.3 Ghz, these processors are plenty fast.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.