Is everything compatible/not-overkill?

Xiauj

Hey,

I just wanted to get some feedback on my build and I just want to make everything is compatible even if PCPartPicker says so :).

Here's the list of components thus far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WFMD8K

There a few components that you might think are overkill but it's pretty much what I need/desire to be honest.

The price is a bit high for what is listed, but Brexit (Britain leaving the EU) doesn't really help :/. RIP £-Currency :(.

I do have a couple of concerns which I need to ask you guys about:

• Will an mATX 'board and case cause a lot of heat/high-temperatures when I'm Gaming or doing something else CPU/GPU intensive? I'm a bit cautious of things like this.
  • Is my motherboard good for overclocking? I plan to overclock the 6700k, not sure about the GPU yet.
  • Is the RAM good? I was going to have Corsair Vengeance but I heard it's apparently unstable.

If any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks ~ Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

6 minutes ago, Xiauj said:
  • Will an mATX 'board and case cause a lot of heat/high-temperatures when I'm Gaming or doing something else CPU/GPU intensive? I'm a bit cautious of things like this.
  • Is my motherboard good for overclocking? I plan to overclock the 6700k, not sure about the GPU yet.
  • Is the RAM good? I was going to have Corsair Vengeance but I heard it's apparently unstable.

A matx board shouldn't affect much, it's mostly just a size reduction at the cost of a couple feature

2nd idk

3rd Kingston seems to be fine, though I haven't heard about the Corsair instability thing (I haven't looked for it though either)

Oh and everything appears compatible(components are good imo too), the only thing I'm not sure about is the cpu cooler since I didn't look at the case measurements but I think it will be fine

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

Watercooler

Oooooops.. I forgot to mention, no water-cooling! :P

My bad.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'm not sure about is the cpu cooler since I didn't look at the case measurements but I think it will be fine

Hmm.. ok. I hear that's the best Air Cooler as opposed to others.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Oooooops.. I forgot to mention, no water-cooling! :P

My bad.

Hmm.. ok. I hear that's the best Air Cooler as opposed to others.

Oh I'm not saying it's bad I just don't know how tall it is, it's great for cooling don't misunderstand

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Oh I'm not saying it's bad I just don't know how tall it is, it's great for cooling don't misunderstand

Ok cool :) Thx!

Do you think it's overkill btw? I keep thinking that but, I dunno.

I'm a bit bummed out about the Total Price atm.

Check clearance on Air cooler, Don't OC with a air cooler, you get very bad results. And get a 212EVO, they have that down so well now that it is the best you can find. 

The MOBO is part of the ROG ASUS series, so it will OC like a pro, but the air cooling is not the best option to go with, The cooler is the weak point in OC, not the board.

Hyper X is good, Corsair is good. Just don't OC the Ram, negligible benefit for a while mess of problems. I have never had a problem with my Corsair Vengeance. 

2 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

Check clearance on Air cooler, Don't OC with a air cooler, you get very bad results. And get a 212EVO, they have that down so well now that it is the best you can find. 

The MOBO is part of the ROG ASUS series, so it will OC like a pro, but the air cooling is not the best option to go with, The cooler is the weak point in OC, not the board.

Hyper X is good, Corsair is good. Just don't OC the Ram, negligible benefit for a while mess of problems. I have never had a problem with my Corsair Vengeance. 

You can OC with an air cooler if it's good enough, and that one is

5 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

Are you sure..? I've seen a ton of people use Air Cooling for OCing, I don't get why liquid-cooling is so much better for OCing the CPU.

What would you recommend I do? Because I'm not using liquid-cooling, I find it to be quite.. "FUD"-Related.

Oh and Liquid Cooling would add like £40-50 extra :/.

7 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

wrong the NH-D15 gets on par or better performance than most water coolers at the same price or even more. mobo is nice has lots of features for its tiny size. ram if you want ram is pretty generic, just pick the cheapest one you can find with the most amount. smart choice on the PSU, isnt that what i recommend you earlier when you were planning on a dual xeon setup? also since you are doing a mini cube setup id recommend you go watercooling so you get better temps in such a confined area, i learned this the hard way when i did my HP sleeper PC. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Yes you can use air cooling, I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying you shouldn't.... Water coolers can dissipate more heat, faster. That makes for more OCing. The same build with and without water cooling, the Water cooling will win every time in OCing.

OC if you want, but go slow, and do a lot longer tests at load. Really get the temps to flat line over a few hours and see how hot it gets. Then compare that to what you feel safe with, and go from there. Don't slap .7GHz and think it will do fine. My 280 rad is pulling .7GHz on that CPU. My generous guess is you'll max at .5GHz additional.

There is enough of a difference that MOBO manufacturers have different OC settings for air and liquid cooling.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

ram if you want ram is pretty generic, just pick the cheapest one you can find with the most amount.

Know of any that are cheaper/reliable? I'm not sure which RAM-Manufacturers are good to be fair.

smart choice on the PSU

Really? Yay! :D lol.

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

isnt that what i recommened you earlier when you were planning on a dual xeon setup? 

Umm, it could be that PSU yeah, I'm not sure lol.

2 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

~snip~

Oh I forgot to mention, I've never OC'd before and will be asking LTT-Forums for some advice when I eventually get my budget :).

4 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

Yes you can use air cooling, I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying you shouldn't.... Water coolers can dissipate more heat, faster. That makes for more OCing. The same build with and without water cooling, the Water cooling will win every time in OCing.

OC if you want, but go slow, and do a lot longer tests at load. Really get the temps to flat line over a few hours and see how hot it gets. Then compare that to what you feel safe with, and go from there. Don't slap .7GHz and think it will do fine. My 280 rad is pulling .7GHz on that CPU. My generous guess is you'll max at .5GHz additional.

There is enough of a difference that MOBO manufacturers have different OC settings for air and liquid cooling.

for OCing the quickest way is to google your cpu OC then see what majoity of people are getting then set that as your target clock, so if you see most people get 4.5ghz OC to 4.5ghz test for stability and if its stable you can either up the speed or just keep it like that if you are happy with the OC. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

~snip~

Sweet! Well like I said, I'll be asking LTT-Forums when I eventually get the budget together :P.

Well.... OC is easy, once it is explained and shown to you. It is very simple to get working. Just have to learn the proper order to do everything.

Cheapest RAM that everyone gets is G.Skill, higher up is Kingston and Corsair. Generally Corsair is best, but Kingston is a close second. G.Skill just has ridiculously low prices and gets alot of noobs to buy them.

4 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Know of any that are cheaper/reliable? I'm not sure which RAM-Manufacturers are good to be fair.

Really? Yay! :D lol.

Umm, it could be that PSU yeah, I'm not sure lol.

Oh I forgot to mention, I've never OC'd before and will be asking LTT-Forums for some advice when I eventually get my budget :).

go for the generic crucial budget ram, they are not the nicest looking ram but they do the job without the price premium and bells and whistles back then ram was extreamly important for OC since the ram was tied to the FSB but those days are long over. 

they are not the nicest looking ram

Yeah.. it's a shame really.

Some of the DDR3 Crucial sticks looked fairly nice, but the DDR4 ones have gotten worse, but for the price to performance and reliability i would recommend them.

1 minute ago, UnitD77 said:

Some of the DDR3 Crucial sticks looked fairly nice, but the DDR4 ones have gotten worse, but for the price to performance and reliability i would recommend them.

LL

not exactly the nicest looking ram out there but it does the job for being relativity cheap 

@glitchmaster0001 & @UnitD77,

I was meaning to ask something which I just remembered.

Should I get the D15 or D15S air-cooler? What's the difference if any?

Was also thinking about getting the components from somewhere besides Amazon, perhaps somewhere like Newegg might be a little bit(?) cheaper.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

@glitchmaster0001 & @UnitD77,

I was meaning to ask something which I just remembered.

Should I get the D15 or D15S air-cooler? What's the difference if any?

Was also thinking about getting the components from somewhere besides Amazon, perhaps somewhere like Newegg might be a little bit(?) cheaper.

i believe the difference might just be the type of fans that come with them, just pick whichever is cheaper. 

Check prices, pcpartspicker will show prices, then actually visit the 3 lowest, and newegg and amazon. Found my PSU on newegg for less than the manufacture's site and amazon, but wasn't listed on pcpartspicker.

6 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

~snip~

That doesn't look that bad actually, when it's fully green it looks pretty 'bland'.

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i believe the difference might just be the type of fans that come with them, just pick whichever is cheaper. 

Oh I see, I'll stick with the D15S I guess, should be alright.

4 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

Check prices, pcpartspicker will show prices, then actually visit the 3 lowest, and newegg and amazon. Found my PSU on newegg for less than the manufacture's site and amazon, but wasn't listed on pcpartspicker.

Newegg does have a UK-Version but PCPartPicker doesn't list it/them for some strange but also, annoying reason -_-.

Thats what i was talking about, some sites don't show up. Pcpartspicker is just a place to start looking.

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

That doesn't look that bad actually, when it's fully green it looks pretty 'bland'.

Oh I see, I'll stick with the D15S I guess, should be alright.

Newegg does have a UK-Version but PCPartPicker doesn't list it/them for some strange but also, annoying reason -_-.

wait op why are you using a 6700k when before you said your going to be mainly doing workstation and a little bit of gaming