Windows 10 Second Monitors

SympNerv

Hello,

I recently had a new pc built for me... and the graphics card (GTX960) I got only has one monitor jack... the motherboard has two additional jacks (a standard monitor and a dvi), however, when I use the regular jack, the monitor isn't recognized by the pc (the DVI one doesn't seem to fit a dvi adapter for whatever reason, it's like the longer flat prong is blocked or something).

Is there a way to force the recognition of the monitor?  Am I going about this wrong all together?

Thanks for any input

Did you check in the BIOS make sure the onboard graphics are enabled as well? That would prevent the 2nd monitor from being recognized if not. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

If you want to use the jacks on the motherboard that means you want to use the integrated GPU to drive your monitor, and once the first PCIE slot on your motherboard is occupied (in this case by your GTX 960) I'm pretty sure the IGPU gets disabled (and so do the ports) and that's why your PC won't recognize your plugged in monitor, you need to enable the IGPU inside your BIOS, either that or faulty cables/connections.

Also make sure your CPU supports onboard graphics. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

And also there are multiple types of DVI connections, maybe you're just using the wrong DVI adapter.

Thanks for the quick replies.  

I am pretty sure the disabled cpu thing sounds right. I'll have a look at the bios in case.  Been too long since I've done any of that lol.

Would it be simpler if I just tossed in second graphics card... I have a gtx 570 or 7somehting laying about I am sure.

Throw in the second card, nothing wrong with a little overkill if your PSU supports it

it should, I have 500w... it should be fine I would think.

the pc is nothing complicated, just quad core intel i5-350hrz and the gtx 970

What GPU exactly? Pleave provide the model and manufacturer
Is that DVI port DVI-D or DVI-I?

Please make sure the iGPU is enabled in the BIOS if you wanna connect the monitor to it.

pretty much all of this is bad advice. if you have a gtx960 do not enable onboard graphics because that will disable the 960. find a hdmi/display port-to-dvi adapter to connect from your graphics card to your second monitor and get a different cable or an adapter for your existing dvi monitor. Do not use your second graphics card because that will disable your gtx960 as well (different  nvidia cards cannot be used in SLI (or at the same time)). just search for adapters to plug your monitors into your graphics card. should cost a total of like 4 dollars on Monoprice's website.

22 minutes ago, robotsalad said:

pretty much all of this is bad advice. if you have a gtx960 do not enable onboard graphics because that will disable the 960. find a hdmi/display port-to-dvi adapter to connect from your graphics card to your second monitor and get a different cable or an adapter for your existing dvi monitor. Do not use your second graphics card because that will disable your gtx960 as well (different  nvidia cards cannot be used in SLI (or at the same time)). just search for adapters to plug your monitors into your graphics card. should cost a total of like 4 dollars on Monoprice's website.

What this guy said

23 hours ago, robotsalad said:

I've thought that the iGPU and the dedicated one can be enabled at the same time?

Edit: Some motherboards actually support this depending on how it is manufactured, but if he wanted to enable both he would probably have to use software like VirtuMVP to be able to use both at the same time, my fault. (He could check in his BIOS if he could enable both once the PCIE slot has been occupied, but I'm sure the motherboard probably doesn't support this without 3rd party software like mentioned)

23 hours ago, robotsalad said:

What? You can use any different model of a card in the same computer (even AMD and NVIDIA can be paired together), no one says that you need to SLI or Crossfire 2 different cards for them to work in the same computer, you can just use them individually to gain extra monitor ports like the OP intends to. I don't know where you pulled that from, but a question like this has been asked on Tom's Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/384034-33-nvidia-graphics-card

Also the OP can use his GPU as a dedicated Physx processor if he wants to

@SympNerv

1 hour ago, MarthiniL said:

What? You can use any different model of a card in the same computer (even AMD and NVIDIA can be paired together), no one says that you need to SLI or Crossfire 2 different cards for them to work in the same computer, you can just use them individually to gain extra monitor ports like the OP intends to. I don't know where you pulled that from, but a question like this has been asked on Tom's Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/384034-33-nvidia-graphics-card

Also the OP can use his GPU as a dedicated Physx processor if he wants to

@SympNerv

I mean that is correct, but are you really defending that idea when he has 2+ display ports, 1+ HDMI port, and a DVI port already on his current card?  And if his VGA cable won't fit the 960 it probably won't fit his second card either.

On 30.06.2016. at 3:26 PM, robotsalad said:

I mean that is correct, but are you really defending that idea when he has 2+ display ports, 1+ HDMI port, and a DVI port already on his current card?  And if his VGA cable won't fit the 960 it probably won't fit his second card either.

Can't really disagree with what you've said.