Gaming/Editing RIG under £700

Hey guys this is my first post here so Hello All! I have been following for years tho :)

I decided I need to get back to having a desktop PC after using laptops and consoles for the last couple of years.

• My budget is around £700 and I live in the UK. (That should include GPU and at least 1 drive)
  • The goal for this PC is to play modern games in 1080p comfortably as well edit video in Adobe CC, Davinci Resolve smoothly. I shoot with NEX cameras and edit 1080p 25fps video that is transcoded to cineform as per Linus recommendation if that matters.
  • I have a decent 27'' 1080p monitor, mouse, speakers but I need everything else.
  • I want the montherboard to have RAID support as I would like to improve my storage solution in the near future.

I initially wanted to go with E3 1231 v3 chip but the way the prices look in the UK it is the same price as i7 4770 so I don't see much sense in choosing the XEON. 

I used to overclock my CPUs a lot in the past but with the 'k' versions being more expensive I don't think I need that now. Nevertheless I am open to some builds that included the possibility of overclocking.

When it comes to the graphic card I am waiting to see the benchmarks of RX 480 but I believe this card would be good for my needs and budget and should be around 160-170£ hopefully.

I need a good base now and I can decide which GPU to buy shortly after. 

In my build I have included only an SSD so I can get going while I look to buy more drives in the near future.

When it comes to the case I would like something pretty robust and good looking. I used to mod my cases in the past as well as do water cooling before is was trendy. I like Phanteks cases so I included their cheapest offering.

Motherboard is giving me trouble as there seem to be so many different chipsets. I dont want anything super fancy but I do want many USB 3.0, good Ethernet, raid and preferably 4 ram slots so I can add more ram in the future.

Have a look at my parts list and please make any suggestions of You can. Thanx!

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYNYr7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYNYr7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£209.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.99 @ Novatech) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£67.47 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£49.98 @ BT Shop) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£51.98 @ BT Shop) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£46.50 @ BT Shop) 
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  (£13.31 @ More Computers) 

Total: £519.17

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-28 12:51 BST+0100

dump that 500b and get a better psu if possible. this XFX ts 650w will do much better.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/98tCmG/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, ElectricLion said:

Hey guys this is my first post here so Hello All! I have been following for years tho :)

I decided I need to get back to having a desktop PC after using laptops and consoles for the last couple of years.

• My budget is around £700 and I live in the UK. (That should include GPU and at least 1 drive)
  • The goal for this PC is to play modern games in 1080p comfortably as well edit video in Adobe CC, Davinci Resolve smoothly. I shoot with NEX cameras and edit 1080p 25fps video that is transcoded to cineform as per Linus recommendation if that matters.
  • I have a decent 27'' 1080p monitor, mouse, speakers but I need everything else.
  • I want the montherboard to have RAID support as I would like to improve my storage solution in the near future.

I initially wanted to go with E3 1231 v3 chip but the way the prices look in the UK it is the same price as i7 4770 so I don't see much sense in choosing the XEON. 

I used to overclock my CPUs a lot in the past but with the 'k' versions being more expensive I don't think I need that now. Nevertheless I am open to some builds that included the possibility of overclocking.

When it comes to the graphic card I am waiting to see the benchmarks of RX 480 but I believe this card would be good for my needs and budget and should be around 160-170£ hopefully.

I need a good base now and I can decide which GPU to buy shortly after. 

In my build I have included only an SSD so I can get going while I look to buy more drives in the near future.

When it comes to the case I would like something pretty robust and good looking. I used to mod my cases in the past as well as do water cooling before is was trendy. I like Phanteks cases so I included their cheapest offering.

Motherboard is giving me trouble as there seem to be so many different chipsets. I dont want anything super fancy but I do want many USB 3.0, good Ethernet, raid and preferably 4 ram slots so I can add more ram in the future.

Have a look at my parts list and please make any suggestions of You can. Thanx!

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYNYr7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYNYr7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£209.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.99 @ Novatech) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£67.47 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£49.98 @ BT Shop) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£51.98 @ BT Shop) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£52.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£46.50 @ BT Shop) 
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  (£13.31 @ More Computers) 

Total: £519.17

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-28 12:51 BST+0100

You'd be fine with just using the stock cooler since you can't OC the 4770, but you're call. I'd try to get a better quality PSU, other than that, build looks fine.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

You'd be fine with just using the stock cooler since you can't OC the 4770, but you're call. I'd try to get a better quality PSU, other than that, build looks fine.

Yeah that is good news. I did not really want to buy a cooler for a start but some people said the stock cooler is barely enough to keep it in check under load.

1 minute ago, ElectricLion said:

Do I really need 650w for this build? I understand the importance of good PSU but thought this 500b is pretty decent.

for low budget builds, sure. but you can get a better unit for slightly more. 650w is abit overkill but it gives you more headroom for other things(and mostly because there's no other better 500w psus for near that price).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, ElectricLion said:

Yeah that is good news. I did not really want to buy a cooler for a start but some people said the stock cooler is barely enough to keep it in check under load.

Eh, can't hurt to have a middle ground. Could just get a TX3, have it cooler a bit better and be a bit quieter.

4 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

for low budget builds, sure. but you can get a better unit for slightly more. 650w is abit overkill but it gives you more headroom for other things(and mostly because there's no other better 500w psus for near that price).

Ok got it. Will change the PSU. Thanx!

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, can't hurt to have a middle ground. Could just get a TX3, have it cooler a bit better and be a bit quieter.

Oh yeah the smaller brother. I can do that to save a bit of money. 

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

XT series are XFX's only bad PSU line. Do not get.

Yeah I would change the PSU but other than that looks pretty interesting to me. 

20 minutes ago, ElectricLion said:

WOW Dude. I did not know it would be possible in this price range. I like that a lot. Looking into it now. Thanx so much.

removed the cpu cooler for:

skylake cpu

mobo with more USB 3 and 3.1 support

2666 DDR4

slightly better and newer ssd

600w psu with black cables instead of the 500b's ketchup and mustard

10 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

XT series are XFX's only bad PSU line. Do not get.

guess he can swap it for this for £8 more

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/98tCmG/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

8 minutes ago, antisleep said:

slightly better and newer ssd

Are sure this is actually better than the SSD Plus I had originally? I am not sure which one is best at this price range.

And is there any particular reason why You have chosen this mobo over the others?

Edited by ElectricLion

5 minutes ago, ElectricLion said:

Are sure this is actually better than the SSD Plus I had originally? I am not sure which one is best at this price range.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-Ultra-II-240GB-vs-HyperX-Savage-240GB/2548vs3494

Savage edges out Sandisk Ultra II which is better than SSD plus.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

5 minutes ago, antisleep said:

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-Ultra-II-240GB-vs-HyperX-Savage-240GB/2548vs3494

Savage edges out Sandisk Ultra II which is better than SSD plus.

Oh yeah I just landed on the same website and yeah You are right.

On last question I believe:  And is there any particular reason why You have chosen this mobo over the others? 

Aha Ok I see it is the cheapest one with H170 chipset so it has raid etc. Good stuff

16 minutes ago, ElectricLion said:

On last question I believe:  And is there any particular reason why You have chosen this mobo over the others? 

the best one i could choose from out of the £70-85 range, others are mostly micro ATX and the 3.1 is a plus

the MSI H170A PC Mate is also ok but it's not a great improvement for £10 more