Gaming CPU Needed

Hi guys! So I was going to buy a new cpu for my gaming PC to go with my r9 280x but seeing as the FX 8370 and the i5 6500 are at the same price I can't decide which one to buy? Which one is better? Which one will get me more frames in my main game: world of Warcraft?

1 minute ago, ChrisLombart said:

Hi guys! So I was going to buy a new cpu for my gaming PC to go with my r9 280x but seeing as the FX 8370 and the i5 6500 are at the same price I can't decide which one to buy? Which one is better? Which one will get me more frames in my main game: world of Warcraft?

Go with the i5-6500

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

The i5 has wayyy better single threaded performance however you can't overclock it.

The FX can overclock and is better for multithreaded applications. 

So, the question is, WILL you overclock and are the applications you are running support more than 4 cores? If so, then FX is for you. However, if all you are doing is playing games, browsing the Internets, and you wont be overclocking, then the i5 is for you.

Do you even fanboy bro?

Easily the i5 for gaming thanks to its much higher IPC. Not to mention the upgrade path (whereas AM3+ is a dead socket), less heat output and DDR4 RAM.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

18 minutes ago, ChrisLombart said:

i5. i5 i5 i5 i5 i5. AMD's APUs are spectacular for their designed purpose, and their Athlon x4 860K remains my favorite extreme budget gamer CPU. Until Zen comes out, however, their high-end CPUs are only good for warming buns at idle, toasting bagels under moderate load and as implements of arson during stress tests.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

The i5 has wayyy better single threaded performance however you can't overclock it.

The FX can overclock and is better for multithreaded applications. 

So, the question is, WILL you overclock and are the applications you are running support more than 4 cores? If so, then FX is for you. However, if all you are doing is playing games, browsing the Internets, and you wont be overclocking, then the i5 is for you.

You can overclock it if you get the correct motherboard and flash an older/newer bios to it :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You can overclock it if you get the correct motherboard and flash an older/newer bios to it :)

I thought that only worked with i3's? And I don't think it works anymore. They closed that loophole, so it's up to you, up to date BIOS with latest bug fixes or overclocking. 

If it were me I'd just spend the little extra money for an i7 k CPU tbh

Do you even fanboy bro?

3 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

I thought that only worked with i3's? And I don't think it works anymore. They closed that loophole, so it's up to you, up to date BIOS with latest bug fixes or overclocking. 

A 6700K is over $120 more than a 6500...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

It works with any locked chip, my i3 is at 4.3GHz as I type this. i5-6500s, Pentium G4400s, i7-6700s ect all can do it.

The difference between my BIOs and the Newer versions ( at least with my bios ) is no Skylake OC and other small things that are very very minimal to myself. Nothing mentions bug fixes.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

i5 6500 for better IPC and DDR4.

29 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

It works with any locked chip, my i3 is at 4.3GHz as I type this. i5-6500s, Pentium G4400s, i7-6700s ect all can do it.

The difference between my BIOs and the Newer versions ( at least with my bios ) is no Skylake OC and other small things that are very very minimal to myself. Nothing mentions bug fixes.

A lot of motherboards got recalled and got their BIOS updated so it doesn't work anymore. My friend also got an i5 6500 and non-Z170 motherboard (H170 I think) but the BIOS is already the latest version out of the box and it was one of those early generic H170 motherboards that came out of the market, I wouldn't risk gambling and hoping for a motherboard with an earlier BIOS version, especially when he is not familiar with CPUs and overclocking anyway.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

i5 or wait for zen if you want amd... anything else is a waste of money

3 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

i5 6500 for better IPC and DDR4.

A lot of motherboards got recalled and got their BIOS updated so it doesn't work anymore. My friend also got an i5 6500 and non-Z170 motherboard (H170 I think) but the BIOS is already the latest version out of the box and it was one of those early generic H170 motherboards that came out of the market, I wouldn't risk gambling and hoping for a motherboard with an earlier BIOS version, especially when he is not familiar with CPUs and overclocking anyway.

Almost certain that you cannot do a BCLK OC on an H170 Board.

Even if your BIOs is updated to a newer version, nothing is stopping you from loading a BIOs onto a USB stick and flashing it. Now even though my mobo was on V1.0 and I flashed it to 2.43, I could easily flash v2.8 and back to 2.43 if I so choose to.

It isn't a gamble, it doesn't void your warranty to flash an older bios to the mobo.

Again, I wouldn't OC on an H170 board.

29 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Actually it was a Gigabyte B150 motherboard. At his place we couldn't flash to previous versions because there was a dialog box that says it wouldn't accept earlier versions. It really depends on the manufacturer or model. I do know ASRock is very flexible and Intel is not happy about ASRock doing it in the first place.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

i5-6500 definitely is better CPU overall especially for gaming! FX 8370 is outdated.